Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 413509 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2730 on: June 7, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Hmm, those FF figures look like what I saw at our TRU a couple of days ago.  I was surprised to see that we had them already and was curious to see what the Sue figure looked like, but it wasn't there.  Those four figures were ???  Weird.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2731 on: June 7, 2007, 01:56 PM »
I forgot about Nova, if this wave is legit, he is the main one i want. Satr wars is without a doubt my main focus this year, and the figure selection for ML has not been that exciting.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2732 on: June 7, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Nice to see Tigra coming out...not too interested in any of the others.  Still could be doing a lot more new characters vs. these redos.  :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2733 on: June 11, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Just curious - even though its been discussed before, how does everyone here feel about movie figures?  Do you pick them up at all (regardless of scale)?  No interest?  Does it make a difference how much you like the movie or not?

I was just curious as I've been thinking about this lately.  I've been one to pick up some movie figures in the past.  I skipped the X-movie figures, and didn't get things like the Legends movie Daredevil, but I've picked up the Spidey movie figures, and the first movie's Fantastic Four figures (in both cases, just the "normal" versions of the main characters).  I guess I've been a big movie fan my whole life, so I kind of look at it like Star Wars as "movie memorabilia" or something.  Anyways, this year, the 5" scale switch came about, and I was reconsidering things.  I've also passed on the X-figures in the Hasbro Marvel Legends line so far.  I did pick up some Spidey movie stuff, and if they do the rumored 6" lineup, I'll get those as well (at least the "new" ones).  I picked up the Silver Surfer figure from the new F4 movie line, just because I'm a fan of the Surfer and thought the figure was cool.  I was considering getting the rest of the lineup too (the four, Doom), but have so far decided against it.  If they ever stuck a movie Surfer into the Legends line, I'd likely pick it up, but I'm not sure how much further to go with the movie stuff.

Collecting funds are getting tighter this year with me trying to cut back overall, the blast of great Star Wars product this year, and a baby on the way.  So much collecting dollars go to Star Wars now, so anything outside of that I really need to consider.  I always thought it would be nice to have one shelf of the Marvel movie characters, but I'm starting to lean towards only doing that if we see 6" versions in the Legends line or something.  Anyways, long story short, I'm just curious what others opinions are on movie figures and why you collect them/not collect them?  I guess I like the comic versions better anyways, but I've always enjoyed movie collectibles to some extent as well.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2734 on: June 11, 2007, 04:36 PM »
It depends on the movie as much as anything else.  That and what the actual figure looks like relative to a regular Legends figure.

Spiderman: like you Brian, this is my favorite comic book character.  I do have a Spidey, Goblin and Ock from the movies and to be honest I was disappointed to not get the new movie characters in the same scale.  Now that they're coming out, as long as they're well done, I'll pick up one of each probably.  That's substantial because I'm really not a huge Venom fan these days and his part was minimal.  But it would be nice to display all the movie figures together.  I'll grab the MJ figure too because the box set isn't likely to be a reality. 

Fantastic Four - I only grabbed an Invisible Woman figure (two versions actually, clear and phasing) because I didn't want to spring for the box set to get the other.  I probably should have because I passed on Mr. Fantastic and still don't have one, because I didn't like the movie versions at all.  I'll have to backtrack at some point to get the ML version.  I didn't need a Human Torch, Thing, Silver Surfer or Doom figure though because I'm satisfied with the ML versions. 

X-men - I'm not so into the movies.  I enjoyed them, but my enjoyment is more based on the comic versions and I really don't need or want another Wolverine or a different Juggernaut figure.  There've been so many X-figures made in the Marvel Legends line there's little I'd be dying to get from the movies. 

It's hit and miss and mostly miss for movie stuff with me.  For the umpteenth time, 5" figures have no place in my collection.  If they'd started with and stuck to the 5" scale, fine, no problem.  But I've just got too much money laid out in the 6" scale as it is and don't want/need to start over.  Plus the ML lineup is for now still in scale and wave 2, even the figures I don't want, are much better done than the first waves junk (noting some figures in wave 1 were well done). 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2735 on: June 11, 2007, 04:46 PM »
I didn't need a Human Torch, Thing, Silver Surfer or Doom figure though because I'm satisfied with the ML versions. 

That's a point I've been thinking about too Brent.  In most cases, I'm just as happy with the Legends versions, and kind of consider the movies just an interpretation of classic characters I remember from my comics (youth and now).  As silly as it would look in real life, I like my X-Men in their spandex uniforms, not the leather clad ones of the movies necessarily.  Like you, I plan to pick up the 6" Spidey movie figures (if we see them), and I might just hold off and do the same if we see that happen with other Marvel movies (such as a Surfer, and next year Iron Man, etc.)  Thanks for the reply.  I know movie figures aren't all that popular with most collectors, and I'm trying to figure out why I think I need them all the time :P.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2736 on: June 12, 2007, 10:15 AM »
It sounds like Hasbro will be doing a monthly Q and A for the Marvel/Spidey stuff now too, like we've seen with Star Wars and G.I. Joe.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2737 on: June 12, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Thats pretty cool. I hope we get some cool info out of them.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2738 on: June 13, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I don't know if anyone here collects the Icons line, but some pics were posted a little while ago of the upcoming Silver Surfer and Human Torch (and variant) on the Fwoosh forums.  I've always been slightly tempted by the Icons (I only have Spidey and variant now), but have kept away due to space issues.  I always thought it would be nice to have a display case/bookcase with just the main characters from the Marvel U in Icons form.  They seem to be pretty well done.  Surfer and Torch are a couple of my favorite characters, so it makes it tempting, and the recent Doom looks good in pics as well - but its probably best if I stay away.  Anyways, just wanted to post the link if anyone is interested in seeing them.  There are rumors that these two figures (and the Doom) could be scaled down for the rumored F4 wave, which would be really cool.  I don't know how well these sell, around here all I see is Thors (and the ToyBiz ones at TRU).  I never did see a "regular" Cap, which is another reason I haven't gotten into these further.

Also, here's pics of Wave 4 (I believe), consisting of Magneto and Cyclops.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:11 AM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2739 on: June 13, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Cool Toy Review has another "411" up, this time covering the rumored Marvel Legends Fantastic Four wave (including Black Bolt!).  Details at the linky.

Here's the lineup:

Thing
Mr. Fantastic
Invisible Woman
Johnny Storm (with flames)
Silver Surfer
Namor the Submariner
Dr. Doom
Mole Man
Black Bolt

BAF Ronan the Accuser
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:18 AM by Brian »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2740 on: June 13, 2007, 10:22 AM »
If its legit, its the first ML wave ina long time i want all the figures and excited about the BAF. Mole Man, Black Bolt, Namor (green trunks) and Ronan have been on my want lists for a long time.  ;D

As for the icons, the only one i bought is the green Hulk. I figure medicom probably wont ever make one in the RAH line so i can have him in there. I probably should have bought the grey one too, but never got aorund to it. It would be nice if Hasbro scaled those down to about 8 inches for ML.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2741 on: June 13, 2007, 10:31 AM »
I have to agree with you about the F4 wave.  I was hoping that with all the Star Wars stuff I'm picking up this year, any "other" lines would be a figure here and there, but this might be a wave that I pick up in its entirety again.  It depends on what the 4 look like themselves, but I'm definitely interested in Surfer/Black Bolt/Doom/Namor/Mole Man/Ronan.  I hope all these rumors/411 pan out, and we see some pictures pretty soon (Comic Con most likely) of these waves.  It looks like it could be an expensive Marvel year again, and I didn't think that would happen.  We'll see once pics show up.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2742 on: June 13, 2007, 04:52 PM »
Yet another opportunity to get a Mr. Fantastic.  Hope it looks nice. 

That FF lineup does look promising and hopefully they aren't all "movie style" (are they?).  I don't have a need for all of them, but getting Mole Man would be fun.  Black Bolt would be cool too and if Namor is in green trunks, that'd be pretty nice too.  I do not need another Doom, but it looks like I'd be about half way to the BAF (again) so I'd have to decide on that yet again.  Consistent with my regular whine, I wish they'd do a series when all the figures are interesting, well done and non-craptastic.   ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2743 on: June 14, 2007, 09:29 AM »
That FF lineup does look promising and hopefully they aren't all "movie style" (are they?).

From what I understand, nothing in this lineup/wave is movie-based.  But, then again, we haven't actually seen any of these yet, so who knows.  I hope this lineup pans out, as I pretty much (aside from Thing) use my movie F4 figures in my Marvel display, so I wouldn't mind some nice comic re-dos.  I'm always game for a new Surfer as well.  Black Bolt is one of the main characters I wanted to still see done in this line, so I hope he pans out, whether it is in this wave or a "regular" Marvel Legends wave.  I personally am glad to see a new Doom, because I never go the previous version (or boxset one), and only have a movie version.  Namor is another one that I missed, so I'd be glad to pick him up too.  And then, there's Mole Man.  Probably not an overly exciting figure, but a pretty prominent F4 villain.  Like I said, depending on how the 4 themselves look, I might just end up getting this whole wave - the first time in awhile for that.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2744 on: June 19, 2007, 10:08 AM »
Interesting article making the rounds, suggesting that Spider-Man 3 toys aren't selling all that well.  I'm not sure how accurate it is, but its fueling hope/speculation that Hasbro will stay in the 6" scale from now on (which would be nice).

Its hard for me to judge, I guess I haven't really checked the Spidey 3 pegs closely in a long time around here - although every store seems to have plenty.  Like we've talked before here, I don't necessarily mind the 5" scale - but with many of us already having such an expansive 6" collection, I would just as soon see things stay there.  I'm hoping the rumored ML Spidey 3 wave pans out, so we can get 6" versions of the new characters.  I still don't understand why they didn't just use that lineup in the first place, I think kids and collectors would have bought them up.  Heck, throw in a couple of gimmicky Spideys (and maybe villains) if they think they have to for the kiddos, but scale back the line overall.  It seems like many of these movie lines just ship way too much stuff (crap).  I don't know if these lines can handle the huge launches the way Star Wars does for the most part.  It seems like that is where the idea might have come from for these.  I have a feeling the Transformers stuff might do the best this year among the new movie properties.  That might be some of the reason for sales differences too, there is just a lot of product looking for attention/spending dollars this year (SM3, F4, Star Wars 30th, Joe 25th, Transformers, Pirates, Shrek, TMNT, etc.)

Like I said, its always tough to judge movie sales to me.  I've seen stuff sit from all of the comic book movie lines around here, whether it is Toy Biz, Hasbro, or Mattel.  Hasbro seemed to get the assortments right (plenty of villains available too, where with ToyBiz it was basically all Spidey all the time), but ToyBiz made much better product.  Hopefully they'll get things ironed out from here on out.  I wouldn't mind having a nice Marvel movie shelf, with everything in 6" scale, just one of each of the main characters.  I had originally picked up the 5" Spidey figures (and a Silver Surfer) thinking that if the switch to 5" was permanent, I'd want those down the road.  I stopped at that, and passed on the rest of the F4 stuff.  The ToyBiz versions look much nicer.  Anyways, just wanted to pass the article along.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:10 AM by Brian »