Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 415172 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1005 on: February 8, 2005, 04:47 PM »
Man, thats a rough case to be putting out. Maybe if they were all variant Cables, but even then it still sucks.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1006 on: February 9, 2005, 09:02 AM »
Looks like Series 9 has now hit in the Philippines.  Shouldn't be too long now.  There are some loose pics of the wave (and Galactus) at the above linky.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1007 on: February 9, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Looks like Series 9 has now hit in the Philippines.  Shouldn't be too long now.  There are some loose pics of the wave (and Galactus) at the above linky.

Great.  I just finished waves 6 and 7, mainly thanks to Brent and am still missing Doc Ock and Man-thing from wave 8.  And with Bullseye and Deathlok being shortpacked, it looks like my Galactus is going to be legless and torsoless for awhile.  >:(
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1008 on: February 9, 2005, 10:15 AM »
Ready to start again, Mikey?  I've been able to find Ock and Man-Thing pretty easily locally.  Our cases have two Ocks per, so it's been nice that way.  LMK if you want help.  Trade or C&S, no big to me. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1009 on: February 9, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Sending you a PM, Brent.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1010 on: February 9, 2005, 10:48 AM »
Right back at you. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1011 on: February 10, 2005, 01:34 PM »
I can finally comment on the S6 box set with toys in hand, whoo-hoo!  First, thanks MikeyD for the help in getting these figures. 

Venom - I like this one better than the gloop version that was released earlier.  I had removed the tongue from the previous version, but I like the paint on this one much, much better.  A little more neutrally posed as well makes it nicer, IMO. 

Black Cat - I already had this figure from ebay for my daughter, but now I don't have to worry about any abuse it suffered at the hands of a four year old.  The figure itself is a little disappointing but at least it's less boobiferous than the Marvel Select version.  I would have bought the MS figure, but it was way too fanboy-ish for my tastes.  I don't like the mask on this version and the hair/neck are odd, but I guess we gets what we gets. 

Doc Ock would have been nice had there not been a Marvel Legends version that ended up being superior.  I could have lived with the S6 version though, it reminds me more of the classic comic book and cartoon Doc Ock.  The movie version, so well played by Alfred Molina, completely changes the character from the comic book, IMO.  Molina is large, confident, attractive.  More like the comics/cartoons, the S6 version is how I'd always envisioned Ock - small, ugly (bluntly) and bitter.  I'm almost sad that the ML version was done in spite of it being a better figure. 

Kraven - I passed so many times on the single release version - is there any difference between that and the S6 version?  It's a necessary figure though and I'm pleased to have it, one of my favorite story arcs from the late 80's (-ish) was the Kraven story, so it's cool to have this figure. The sculpt is nice, though I prefer more neutral faces, even on villains. 

Green Goblin - awesome, so much better (for me) than the original, more cartoonish version.  This one looks nasty and mean - classic.  It seems to share a number of the elements from the original, but I can accept this as being a real human being that is a villain, versus some mutated gargantuan. 

Electro - the real reason for getting the set in the first place.  A nifty sculpt that feels really comic accurate.  The colours are really nice (go Aussie) and the mask is just as absurd and impractical as it should be.  I can see him walking through a door and cursing as he is ever catching that mask on door jambs.  It's just a great figure.  Sure to be released singly in a few short months :P

Overall this is an awesome set they released.  I wish they would stop releasing figures singly then in box sets down the road but I guess it just serves to teach patience.  The spidey figure is ok, btw, just not something I really needed.  But hey, now I have a spidey with cloth webbing, I couldn't say that before. 

Also got my Black Widow figure in the box as well, though I'd seen it previously in stores.  A nice figure but all the Marvel women are starting to look similar.  I'm a little disturbed about the looseness in the hip joints, but Mikey and I can talk about that privately.   :P

Just waiting on stuff from Scott and Jim and I'll be all caught up, for the time being.  I expect we'll see the FF movie figures at retail up here (unless the Hulk figures crushed the market forever more >:()  Having series 9 on order at AFX is a relief, I have no need to go hunting for quite some time.  Still undecided on series 10 though. 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1012 on: February 10, 2005, 01:49 PM »
The head on Kraven is different, Brent.  The basic version is not screaming.  His pants might be a different color also.

Also got my Black Widow figure in the box as well, though I'd seen it previously in stores. A nice figure but all the Marvel women are starting to look similar. I'm a little disturbed about the looseness in the hip joints, but Mikey and I can talk about that privately. :P

I think this is supposed to be tongue in cheek, but if not, shoot me a PM and we'll discuss.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1013 on: February 10, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Yes, tongue in cheek.  Her legs are a little loose, but that's a trait of the Legends figures as everyone well knows.  Just having a little fun with ya. 

Kraven not screaming in the original eh?  No matter, one is enough and I need not quibble. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1014 on: February 10, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Nice review of the set Brent.  This is something I'd still really like to pick up, but I just can't afford the $45+ shipping right now, maybe it will go on clearance at some point, although I'm not planning on it.  I got into Spidey figures a little late, so they are technically all new figures to me, which makes it a little more worthwhile (although I prefer the ML Ock).  The Mrs. thinks that $50 is a little much for a box of "toys", and she is probably right.  Plus, I need to be saving for this ROTS onslaught, as well as the Fantastic Four figures.  Every time I read someone's glowing reviews of this set though, it makes it all the more tempting...especially for the Goblin and Electro :).

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1015 on: February 10, 2005, 02:20 PM »
You should of see my wife's reaction when two of them showed up at my house, Brian.  Each came in a seperate box, each of which was huge.  I think her exact words were "Where the **** are all these boxes coming from?"  Between these, Brent's package, Ben's package, Brent's side deal package, and various ebay and online store packages, it was quite a week at the Davidson household a couple of weeks ago, for me at least.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1016 on: February 10, 2005, 02:29 PM »
And herein lies the reason you all ship to a work address ;D  It is also much safer as the boxes stay warm and dry in the back room at the post office, rather than sitting out in the elements for hours on end at home.  I'd put about equal weighting on the reasons for the shipping destination ;)

Y'know Brian, I do think these will ultimately go on sale at Amazon now that they're back in stock.  I think that too of the FF box set which I am growing less keen on as the days go by.  I only need a Sue, I can live without the lame robot and junior so I think I'll live with the movie Sue and pick up a Reed next time I'm at Grand Forks. 

The S6 box set, while expensive is nice, especially if someone is in the same boat as you having missed figures.  The Venom, Goblin and Electro are great.  Black Cat is fine and about we're all likely to see.  Kraven for me and for you is fantastic as we "missed" it previously.  Only Ock is a bit of a downer given the much better, recently released version.  Even the spidey figure is nice.  I would say it is worth the regular price in our situation, but certainly understand your wife's viewpoint.  Patience and I'm sure you'll pay less. 

Mikey, tell your wife they're for the baby in the future :P  My wife never believed it either, but at least she accepts the GH stuff on that basis.   ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1017 on: February 10, 2005, 02:41 PM »
My wife never believed it either, but at least she accepts the GH stuff on that basis.

:), I've used the same excuse to get the GH stuff into the house as well.  "Someday our kids can play with these".  As they sit in a shelf in our office :P.  But seriously, if we have kids, they can play with these if they want to, but until them, they're fun to collect ;).

You should of see my wife's reaction when two of them showed up at my house, Brian.  Each came in a seperate box, each of which was huge.  I think her exact words were "Where the **** are all these boxes coming from?"  Between these, Brent's package, Ben's package, Brent's side deal package, and various ebay and online store packages, it was quite a week at the Davidson household a couple of weeks ago, for me at least.

Nice story Mikey, I know where you are coming from.  I've had a couple of instances where we've had 2-3 packages show up in the same week, and my wife was wondering why we're getting all this "crap" ;).  Especially when Amazon often uses ginormous boxes, particularly for this Legends stuff.  I can only imagine how big those SS sets must have been all packaged up.

I'm kind of leaning towards holding off on the FF set as well, unless it really drops in price here in the next month or two.  I'm thinking about getting the movie versions of the figures, or if I don't get all 4, picking up the original Legends Thing and possibly Torch and Doom, then the movie versions of Mr. Fantastic, Sue, and Torch (I like the translucent look).  I'm not incredibly fond of either Mr. Fantastic (even less so the box set one).  I'm with you Brent, I don't care about Franklin or the robot either.  If it comes down to like $20 on Amazon, I might reconsider though.  I do think the Sinister Six set is probably worth it at the price it is now too, works out about the same as if I would buy them each individually carded anyways, even not putting that Ock into the equation.  Just hard to justify the $50 or so when I'm supposed to be saving for the big spending day in April :).  We'll see, should be somewhat of a break until then, so maybe I can use that in my reasoning :P.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 02:50 PM by mosnab »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1018 on: February 10, 2005, 03:06 PM »
My wife loves the GH line and she already knows they're for the baby.  Them and Kubrick are probably her favorite of all the crap I got. 

She's less keen on the ML side.  It's not Star Wars, she says.  I tell her next to SW, comic books and GIJoe were my childhood.  And she's lucky GIJoe isn't in my plans in the near foreseeable future.  It usually ends there, until the next character comes into the house.

Honestly my wife is pretty cool with my hobby.  There are worse things I could be blowing money on.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1019 on: February 10, 2005, 03:19 PM »
She's less keen on the ML side.  It's not Star Wars, she says.  I tell her next to SW, comic books and GIJoe were my childhood.  And she's lucky GIJoe isn't in my plans in the near foreseeable future.  It usually ends there, until the next character comes into the house.

Honestly my wife is pretty cool with my hobby.  There are worse things I could be blowing money on.

That's funny, that is pretty much exactly how my wife is too.  She is very supportive of the Star Wars collecting, unless the monthly spending starts to get out of hand, and even then she is quite understanding.  The "other" stuff is where the line starts to get a little hazy.  She's not crazy about anything outside of Star Wars collectibles coming into the house, but she does "let" me get things here and there, and has even bought me a few herself (ML Beast, Gambit, 18" Movie Spidey, etc.)  I keep telling her "just a few more and I'm done" :).  Comics, Joes, and MOTU were the other big things with me when I was a kid too, but I've managed to avoid MOTU and Joes for the most part (aside from literally a handful of figures).  I keep telling her how cheap it will be if the Star Wars stuff starts to slow down after this last movie.  Then it will just be picking up whatever few new figures there might be, maybe catching up on vintage stuff here and there, and picking up comics (which I could probably do for $10 a month or so).  There's sort of a light at the end of the tunnel :).  Sort of.