Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 413666 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3000 on: January 14, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Are these being found at regular retail anymore? 
random Things, Mr. Fantastic and Human Torch at Walmart

Did most of you buy these online?
yes

Is the recent Dr. Doom better, worse or indifferent from the ML wave 2 version?
indifferent

Is the Namor better, worse or indifferent from the ML version that was released earlier?
I'd like to say better but worse, i think the head is too small but wish the toybiz was in that outfit or lack of an outfit.

Is the Human Torch figure worth the money? 
for the BAF it is other than that no.

Is the Sue Storm figure better than the Jessica Alba version in terms of scale? 
have not compared

Is the Reed Richards figure a suitable version or am I better off chasing the earlier release? 
I actually like this version. Its a pretty cool figure.

Basically I'm at the point of deciding whether to get the whole wave (I do NOT need another Thing) or just go for the Ronan BAF on ebay and snag the Mole Man the same way.  About $50 for the two or $80 for all of them. 

I say got for the extra money. Mole Man is a great figure and like i said actually like the stretched out Mr. Fantastic. Doom is a good figure so i doesnt harm to have another (could be used for a Doombot as a worse case).
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3001 on: January 14, 2008, 03:09 PM »
I have yet to find the FF Legends wave anywhere at Retail.   >:(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3002 on: January 14, 2008, 10:31 PM »
The local Wally has had remnants of the FF wave for a while...Torch, Surfer, Thing and Johnny

I got mine from BBTS

I think Doom is a beter sculpt, but the paint apps are not as good

Namor while alone is better, with the rest of the figures, I agree he is a pinhead

I like the FF Wave one better, just because it doesn't look like Jessica Alba

Again, I'll take the newer one...it showcases his power a lot better than the first one...plus it reminds me of the Secret Wars cover

Mole Man is one of my favorite figures of 2007, overall I'd say pick up the whole wave and give Thing to your daughter

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3003 on: January 15, 2008, 07:15 PM »
Morgbug has a good point. 3 3/4 will do much better & it will be better for SW/ Joe collectors. Though, I think Marvel fans will be upset. I also think there will be less crappy figures, Hasbro has basically nailed down the 3 3/4 size.

KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3004 on: January 15, 2008, 10:57 PM »
I'd much much rather have 6" Star Wars Figures than 3-3/4" Marvel Figures...the Superhero Showdown stuff from a couple of years ago was sort of crap. Mainly because the level of articulation in the Legends figures at the time did not lend itself very well to that scale.

If the new 3-3/4" is more in the line of standard SW and Joes and now Indy...maybe

But back to SW Legends.  I think its a good possibility with all of the cross lines happening across all of Hasbro's stuff.  The thing that holds it back is probably the uniqueness that each and every sculpt requires...Super Heroes for the most part all wear similar costumes, are in the same scale height wise etc.  Each and every SW figure for the most part would be very unique in almost every aspect and would cost huge amounts in tooling etc

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3005 on: January 15, 2008, 11:16 PM »
True.  We've seen frequent re-use of parts at least by toy-biz for many of the figures, so there were cost saving measures available. 

I do know I'll go nowhere near a 6" line of Star Wars figures.  Nuh-uh, not gonna happen. 

The 3.75" marvel legends are very disconcerting on the other hand.  Must say no.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3006 on: January 16, 2008, 07:33 AM »
No way in hell I'm buying 3-¾" Marvel figures.  I have way too much money and time invested in the 6" line to start over.  Might be a good thing though.  I can stop collecting Marvel and pick up the DC stuff.  I don't know how much longer I can hold out not buying the DC stuff, especially now that 85% of my monthly comic pulls are DC.  ::)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3007 on: January 16, 2008, 08:22 AM »
True.  We've seen frequent re-use of parts at least by toy-biz for many of the figures, so there were cost saving measures available. 

I do know I'll go nowhere near a 6" line of Star Wars figures.  Nuh-uh, not gonna happen. 

The 3.75" marvel legends are very disconcerting on the other hand.  Must say no.

I'm with you.  No room for a full line of 6" star wars.  I want the smaller line of marvel, but we'll see what they come up with.  If they are cool, I will probably have to at least get the Avengers.   ;D
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3008 on: January 16, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Oooh, give in Mikey.  I could see not doing DC before because of all the different lines with different scale issues, but now with DCUC you almost have to, especially with ML winding down. 

As for the 3.75" stuff, I really hope they screw that up as badly as they did the 6" line.  No animosity in that statement, but if the first few figures look like crap, I'll be able to stay away much more easily. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3009 on: January 16, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Oooh, give in Mikey.  I could see not doing DC before because of all the different lines with different scale issues, but now with DCUC you almost have to, especially with ML winding down. 

As for the 3.75" stuff, I really hope they screw that up as badly as they did the 6" line.  No animosity in that statement, but if the first few figures look like crap, I'll be able to stay away much more easily. ;)

I feel the same way with the Marvel stuff lately, where I almost hope it will be ending on its own so its easier for me to stay away.  Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Marvel, but we do have a pretty spiffy lineup (in the 6" scale) at this point, so if it ends, it ends.  Plus, like you mentioned, I don't feel as guilty about devoting money to the DCUC line when there isn't as much competing Marvel merch. out there at the same time.

As for the 3 3/4" stuff, if it is done in the same type of quality as SW and Joe, I'll take a look and likely pick up at least some.  If it is re-releases of the SuperHero Showdown stuff, and building on that, probably not.  I had a handful of those figures (Spidey, Black Spidey, Ock, Thing, and Cap), and although they didn't look too bad, they fell apart quite easily (and had very loose joints for the most part).

Overall, I should just stay away from all of this - its too damn expensive ;).  I should have stuck with my original plan (way back when) of just Spidey and Batman "shelves".  But then I wanted the F4, and the X-Men, and the original Avengers, then most to all of the Marvel U.  This time I want Batman, and the JLA, etc., etc..... :)  Its all too tempting.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3010 on: January 16, 2008, 03:55 PM »
How can you not want Wolverine going up against Boba Fett.  

I hate to say this but I hope the 3 3/4 line blows away the 6" line and goes on for years

I want every X-men (x-team) in every costume change
Fantastic Four
Avenger again in every costume change
Spidey, Punisher, Namor, Iron Man Hulk etc etc etc.  
And all the Villians to fight them

Of Course my Wallet and Wife will say different.  
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3011 on: January 16, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Of Course my Wallet and Wife will say different.  

And therein lies the problem.   :(

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3012 on: January 16, 2008, 11:04 PM »
A 3 3/4 line would be better than Toybiz's because Hasbro's has that form down. That's why they're sucking at 6".
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3013 on: January 16, 2008, 11:11 PM »
For the most part, Hasbro maintains that the 6" is still being sculpted by all of the same old sculptors that Toy Biz uses.  The big difference is that the articulation has went down AND they have also reduced paint apps and paint washes.  That has been huge.  Some of the newer stuff looks horrible when you put it against some of the classic Toy Biz sculpts.  Take for instance the Original Doc Doom vs the recent FF Wave one.  By all means the detailing and sculpting is far far superior...just check the paint differences w/o the wash and I think it looks terrible

Check this out...what a little paint can do
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:14 PM by Scott »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3014 on: January 17, 2008, 07:03 AM »
I agree that the paintwash problem is really what hasbro has not figured out yet. I dont mind articulation going down.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"