Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 410806 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #270 on: May 5, 2004, 02:52 PM »
Rhino was nice and I too missed it, much to my chagrin.  However, there is another 'ultimate' version coming, so that may alleviate the pain.  

Lizard was only really trapped with a spidey fig from spiderman classics 1, IIRC.  Not really a figure so much as an accessory.  Might have been a Lizard elsewhere, but I don't mind missing that one.  Could have been in one of the waves that skipped Canada though.  

Green Goblin is one you didn't mention.  I have it, but wish I had waited for the S6 version, at least based on pics.  I don't mind the one I have but it's far from my ideal version.

Hobgoblin is one I would suggest you try to pick up.  I think it is very well done.  The articulation is greater than in the GG and I like his 'glider' better too.  Taking off his mask, he is quite sinister looking and actually frightens my daughter.  It's less corny than the GG as well.  One of my favourite figures actually.  I've seen lots on the shelves as we continue to see older versions, but again, we get charged $12.99 and the taxes, so nearly $15 for these.   :o

If anything in the S6 box set doesn't make me happy, it's the black cat.  I don't really recall that rendering of her.  It's the head/face sculpt that doesn't really do it for me.  Her mask is not all that representative of most of what I've seen, but it may be a good rendering of more recent versions.  I'd have preferred the older.  Though I suppose I shouldn't be all that picky, at least she's in there.  

Would love to see a classic Green Goblin/Gwen Stacey two pack, but I doubt that will ever happen given that we've seen (with S6) two distinct versions of the GG.  Even repacking the GG from the S6 pack with a Gwen figure would be fine by me.  

Need non-movie versions of JJJ and Mary Jane as well.  I'd like to complete the whole supporting cast of comic figures but completely understand why it won't happen.  I can't see a lot of people buying comic versions of Robbie, Aunt May, Betty Brant, etc.  But Mary Jane comic version is a must make.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #271 on: May 5, 2004, 02:58 PM »
I agree with you fully though, I'd really like to see comic versions of J.J.J. and Mary Jane as well.  I would kind of like to get the whole "cast of characters" from Spidey, but I don't know how likely that is to happen.  Hobgoblin (and Rhino) were the two I was thinking about going back and picking up too, thanks for the recommendations.  I didn't mention Green Goblin, because I kind of like the looks of the one in the S6 pack.  I'm not crazy about the Black Cat in there either, just as you.  I'm also waiting on the box set for a version of Venom and Doc Ock, although I really like that Marvel Legends version of Ock that will probably be coming sometime next year now.

I hope they get around to some more villains in the Spidey line...wouldn't mind seeing a Sandman, Kingpin, maybe Mysterio, Vulture, etc.  Some of the other, maybe lesser known to casual fans, villains.  I agree, a comic Mary Jane is a must for this line though.  I also wouldn't mind seeing them put out an "Ultimate Spider-man" version of Spidey, if they are going to do variants of him anyways.  Thanks for all of the info, I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: May 5, 2004, 03:43 PM by mosnab »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #272 on: May 5, 2004, 03:44 PM »
Along those same "Spidey villain" lines....the Carnage figure is out and about now, isn't it?  Has anyone picked it up/what do you think of it?  I wasn't sure if I was going to pick it up, but its always nice to have more villains too.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #273 on: May 5, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I missed Rhino as well, still trying to get one. As for Carnage I finally found one this past weekend. Honestly, I don't like it but I bought it anyway.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #274 on: May 5, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Brent picked me upa  Carnage a few weeks ago, cool figure.  I agree with a lot of Brent's suggestions...although the Movie JJJ I think would be an adequate stand in

There was a Lizard Figure too, it was in the first Wave of the Red Carded Spidey Figures (after they ditched the comics and clamshell package)

The Rhino is an awesome figure, the Ultimate One coming forthwith doesn't look right to me

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #275 on: May 5, 2004, 05:41 PM »
I just got the Mecha Hulk from wave 2 of the new Hulk line.  WOW!  This is one of the best figures I've bought in a while!  It's a heavy duty piece of plastic, and there's serious articulation and detail.  Throwing in a little Gargoyle to ride around inside is an added bonus.  Now I have to find the Absorbing Man.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #276 on: May 5, 2004, 11:46 PM »
I like the Hulk figures that are currently out.  A guy from the mcfarlane board picked me up Mr. Fixit, my personal favorite.  It's tough to make the call on some of these figures when they never show in Canada and I can't examine them in three dimensions.  I opted to get one, just in case.  I would like to get Absorbing Man and Abomination, but I'll have to wait and see if they come north at some point.  Nice stuff.

Thanks for the pic of the Lizard, Scott.  Not great, but not bad though I think I would have grabbed it, had I seen it.  Necessary for the collection of spidey baddies.  

I do have a Carnage, but I have yet to open it.  Carnage was about the same time as I got out of comics and it signalled an end to the spiderman books I liked.  Carnage was way too violent for my tastes, but being linked to the black costume/venom made me want it.  I dislike the hands on the figure and the accessories do little for me.  That said, I'm happy I have it for the sake of being relatively complete with the villains.  

I passed on Kraven too, but mostly because the paint apps on the few I saw sucked quite badly.  I'm hoping they did some upgrading for the S6 version.  While I didn't much care for Carnage, there was a great cross over between the then three spiderman titles (Amazing, Web of and Spectacular) that had the death of Kraven.  Excellent books so I do desperatly need to own a figure of him.

Morbius I never commented on, but have passed on this figure so many times.  The scale just doesn't seem right to me.  And possibly the pose in the package is off-putting.  I really do think they need to be in the clamshells to sell better.  The cheaper packaging certainly hasn't translated into cheaper pricing, at least up here.  

Scott's right, the movie JJJ is probably quite adequate.  The rendering isn't so different from the comic version.  In fact, I think this one strayed from the movie to the comic more than they planned.  

It's amazing we don't have a Kingpin figure yet.  Needs to be huge though and would work so well with DD and spidey.  

Sandman was trapped with one of the spidey figs, in a base, like one of the lizard versions.  Not great, but technically it exists in one sense.  I'd like to see that, but now that you've mentioned Mysterio and Vulture, they desperately need to be made.  

There's almost enough there for a S6 v2.0 to be made.  They could chuck in a re-deco'd parachute spidey with Carnage, Mysterio, Vulture, Sandman, a new Lizard and the Kingpin.  Now that I would buy (too). :)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #277 on: May 6, 2004, 08:54 AM »
I missed out on the Lizard too. I really wish that they would have kept the line more like the Legends. The first 2 Spider-Man waves rocked, when they went to the red cards it just wasn't as good.

I passed up on Morbius too, he just didn't looks right.

I think that the Marvel Select Venom with the Spider on his chest fits in nicely. My personal favorite. I like it much better than the Venom coming out in the box set.

I wish that there would be more villians in Marvel Legends from Spider-Man, Doc Oc is a nice touch I hope they continue. I would love to see Sandman, Hydro Man, Mysterio, Vulture, etc.....
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2004, 11:35 AM »
The new Lee's Toy Review had an article on Marvel Legends and they said that ToyBiz is going to 'reissue' (ARGGGHH!!!) chase figure to promote collectibility and give those that missed out on figures like: Wolverine sans mask & Goliath/Giant Man. WTF?!! How does making more create more collectibility. I thought the fewer, the more rare and thus the more collectible a figure is!

This would really upset me if it is true. I'm sure it will also upset anyone who laid down $$$ to acquire these figures to complete a set. They did the same thing with LOTR. I stopped collecting when I found out they were reissuing all the rare figures. What's the point of the hunt? I think this is total BS and I really hope this is not true. Who makes these decisions and on what basis or grounds are these decisions being made?
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #279 on: May 10, 2004, 02:09 PM »
I've been fortunate for the most part.  I found gold Ironman at retail four times.  Doombot three times, the selling of which made up for paying $35 for mine :-[  Scott was gracious enough to send me Goliath in a fair trade.  I scored Red Skull for $30 shipped and we still haven't seen much of that wave up here.  The only one I'm missing is no mask Wolvie.  

They are an oddly run company to be sure.  They've made similar utterances previously, noting how easy Red Skull would be too find.  Uh, right.  Easier than Wolvie, but not much else.  

They want people talking about the product, nothing more.  Collectors are meaningless to them, likely because we comprise a relatively small segment of the market.  Same attitude with McFarlane toys and their chase pieces.  All about creating more buzz.  

Inevitably it backfires, as it did on the comic book industry, but short term profits rule all rather than long term survival and collector (core) satisfaction is irrelevant.  Sigh.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #280 on: May 11, 2004, 05:03 PM »
clicky for what the Goblin should look like

Perusing Scott's Tower records link.  This is tempting...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2004, 02:03 AM »
To me, reissuing a chase figure means you're trying to reverse your mistake.

Therefore, there really isn't point in making them in the first place. Why bother making the mold if you're going to use it so little?

I'm glad that Red Skull is going to be more available, and that the chase figure as we knew it is dead in the ML line. But, LOTR, on the other hand, still sucks with the Peter Jackson chase.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2004, 12:19 PM »
I forgot that I picked up the movie Doc Ock at TRU last Friday (and a J Jonah Jameson that's been staring at me on clearance forever)  Cool figure!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2004, 12:29 PM »
We were in a rush this weekend when I ran into TRU, and I forgot to check if they had the Spidey 2 Doc Ock there or not.  What do you think of it Scott, worth buying?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2004, 02:03 PM »
The one thing is these figs are a bit steep at I think $7 a pop so unless you absolutely need a movie version (for instance if you have a movie Spidey and Green Goblin like me) then I'd say go ahead and pass and wait for ML 8 Doc Ock, however this figure looks amazing and is sporting 30 points of articulation