Author Topic: The Rise of Boba Fett Ultimate Battle Pack  (Read 71108 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of Boba Fett Ultimate Battle Pack
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23 AM »
great review Jack - but I still will wait for the inevitable ESB release.  Bottom line - Hasbro spent the money on this and whether this pack sells well or not, Hasbro is not going to leave the money on the table by not releasing the ESB version - no matter what they are "telling" us.

I am guessing we will see it within a year just like the ROTJ Rancor, and, if thats the case, thats when you will be getting my money Hasbro.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I think a LOT of people will wait it out for an ESB release...  I'm more curious to see how it does going into Christmas because I think it's more an item that'll pop out to people at that time, being from the toon and all, with its pack-ins.  I think kids will want it, but will parents pay for it?  Plus now it's competing with the AT-AT too.

I also wonder if an ESB release will or won't have much of a pack-in assortment like this.  Will it just be the Ship and a Boba figure?  Or will it be an UBP like this somehow?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2010, 03:28 PM »
That's really how I feel about it too.  It's a perceived value. I know I could piece out the other stuff, making the Slave One cost me $60 or $70, but even then I don't know.

Count me as not someone who was ever a huge Fett fan though.  I never went bonkers over either Boba or Jango, not even as a kid in the 80s was I that into Fett.

Now, if this thing had been packed with realistic figures, I think I would have been more interested... something like this would have appealed to me more by tying it to AOTC rather than the animated stuff:

- Slave One
- Jango Fett (Evolutions sculpt)
- Boba Fett (all new sculpt)
- Obi Wan Kenobi (Legacy sculpt, wtih plastic cloak)
- Taun We (new)

Then price it at $75.00 and I'm more likely to bite.  That's just me though.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2010, 12:21 AM »
All great points here, I still think it's worth it despite the hefty tag. I do understand the reservations, I too would prefer Boba's first but am hopeful we will see it sooner than later. 

If anyone does picks this up PLEASE LMK if your canopy close connection is weak like i pointed out a few posts ago. if it's not I am going to return it for one that connects stronger.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Saw this set tonight and there's no way I'm paying full price for it.  Even pricing everything out...nah.  I pick up CW figs at random that interest me, but I really have no interest in these animated figures.  The Starfighter repaint is kinda neat, but I'm sure everything will be re-released individually in the future.  Give me a set like the OTC Slave I and we'll talk Hasbro.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Give me a set like the OTC Slave I and we'll talk Hasbro.

RS has an exclusive podcast interview with Hasbro. Apparently an ESB version of Slave I will be made if the response to the TCW-themed Slave I is good, although that makes no sense to me because I'm sure many people would much rather buy a $40-60 OT Slave I over a $100 TCW Slave I.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:04 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47 PM »
The problem with that is they might not have the option to sell it without the $100 box. Look what happened to the Y-Wing assortment as Jeff pointed out, this is why it's in the UBP box. If this flops what retailer will be encouraged to take the ESB Slave One? While they may think it's cool the retail history matters (More than ever as retailers are being extra cautious with what they carry/commit to). I work in the industry, I have seen many improved and exciting products die because of previous sales of items that did not perform to expectations. Retailers care about track records of items, they do not care about the psyche of fans who are holding for Boba's Slave One.

I respect those who honestly do not want this but do not be surprised if you do not get a ESB Slave One anytime soon. That is all I am saying, it was also confirmed in the podcast. The reason we have been getting big vehicles every year is because they have sold. Hasbro makes more and retailers carry them. If the AT-AT flops do you honestly think we will get another big vehicle in the foreseeable future? I hope it does great and we get a Sailbarge.

As it currently stands I only paid $30 for my TRU Slave One, Anakin and Boba. This ship is beautiful and even has a Rocket Pack storage socket that I just found in the standing area. I really want an ESB Slave One and was more than happy to support this.

I am lobbying (For selfish reasons to ensure an ESB version) to the standouts to support this, it's one of the best vehicles ever done. I can honestly say you are missing out if you pass.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2010, 10:59 PM »
A TESB Slave I would definitely be welcome in my book.  But then I haven't found the Ultimate Battle Pack yet myself.  This in itself is somewhat puzzling since I'm in TRU's corporate backyard.  And since TRU corporate headquarters is near me the stores tend to be stocked incredibly well.  Exclusives tend to be fairly abundant.  But for this Ultimate Battle Pack to not show up in TRU's backyard?  It's stunning.

Exclusives in general appear to be on the decline.  Hasbro really pushed the envelope with them over the past 5 or so years.  But the exclusives for 2009 & 2010 seem to be diminishing.  In large part this seems to be because of an overall decline in retail sales which can be attributed to economic conditions.  And general sales of Star Wars have declined as well.  The demise of the Deluxe vehicle line really hurt the chances of an OT Slave I coming out as a mainline offering.  But perhaps Target would take it on?  They seemed to have some measure of success with Slave I in the past when the AOTC version was repainted.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2010, 10:39 AM »
Just fyi if people are tracking this thing.  I saw this on Tuesday in Mishawaka, Indiana.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I found this set this morning in NJ.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54 AM »
I found this set this morning in NJ.

Awesome, congrats dude!

(...contemplates mileage from VA to NJ...hmmm)

Actually, even if I found this thing right now I could not afford it. The Epic Encounters UBP has used up all my discretionary income until the next paycheck.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Unfortunately, there was only one - I haven't called around to see if other TRUs got them today, but there are plenty of collectors in my area, so if there were sets put out this morning, I can guarantee they're gone. Things move that fast in my area when they first start to hit.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Saw this at my TRU this morning. Nice... but not $110 nice. Pass for now.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Saw this at my TRU this morning. Nice... but not $110 nice. Pass for now.

Same here.  Our local store had one of these on the shelf as well, and I'll admit I was tempted.  We really don't have the money for it right now, and I didn't want to put it on a credit card, so I passed as well.  Plus, $110 really seemed steep to me as well.  I know it "breaks down" pretty well and all that, but I really only want the Slave I and the Bossk, and don't really care much about the rest (I guess the astro droid is nice too).  I may eventually get it, but just couldn't afford it right now.  I'm also one of those who would rather have an ESB version, and hope we get it next year or in 2012.  I wouldn't mind having Jango's version either, so I may end up getting this yet.  If we get an ESB version though, I hope it doesn't come in a giant $100 battle pack.  I'm sure it would be an exclusive, but heck, just toss it in a "vintage box" like the AT-AT and sell it for the former deluxe vehicle line price of $60-ish and I'd be ok with that (maybe toss in a Fett as well, or a new carbonite block).

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2010, 11:42 AM »
From what I can see, this thing is sitting. I was surprised to see it still at TRU.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours