Author Topic: Jedidefender Fantasy Football 2010  (Read 36611 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Jedidefender Fantasy Football 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 11:50 AM »
I'm open to it but as commish abstain from voting (creates an odd number of votes).  So we need five more yea's to add it.  Also need to agree on a scoring setting if it goes forward....

0.5 per 10 yards?  Or less?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:52 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Do return yards go under defenses or individual players?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Do return yards go under defenses or individual players?

It appears they go to individual players from what I can gather.  Looking here it sort of appears that returns are NOT tied to the Team Defense section.  It's sort of a backwards assumption because it isn't clearly stated. 

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 01:25 PM »
I think I'm against it then unless we can added a KR spot in the starting line ups... I don't think there are enough WR / KR guys out there.

I'd be in favor of some small amount of scoring for carries and receptions.  Maybe like 0.1 per?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 01:49 PM »
I think I'm against it then unless we can added a KR spot in the starting line ups... I don't think there are enough WR / KR guys out there.

I'd be in favor of some small amount of scoring for carries and receptions.  Maybe like 0.1 per?

Now a KR spot is something I'm not really in favor of, given those guys are WR almost always anyway.

As for the second point, PPR (points per reception) is pretty common but I haven't run across points per carry.  Personally I'd be ok with the first one because there's relatively few receptions that go for zero yards or a loss as compared to a carry.  But PPR does change it up a bit for both WR and RB. 

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Leagues that I've been in that do those balance it out in a way that makes PPR and PPC about even.  To keep the numbers simple, say that a good RB averages 20 carries and a good WR averages 10 catches, then they make the points something like 0.5 for a catch and 0.25 for a carry.

I've been in leagues that did it evenly... 1.0 per catch or rush, and it makes RB's way more valuable.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:29 PM by Rob »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Against it

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 03:41 PM »
I'm for last year's stats.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Two against.  Rob sort of for.  Ruiner suggested.

Would like to resolve by the weekend in case people need/want to prep.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Two against.  Rob sort of for.  Ruiner suggested.

Would like to resolve by the weekend in case people need/want to prep.

Just to clarify, I'm for PPR, I'm not for return yards.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 2, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Leagues that I've been in that do those balance it out in a way that makes PPR and PPC about even.  To keep the numbers simple, say that a good RB averages 20 carries and a good WR averages 10 catches, then they make the points something like 0.5 for a catch and 0.25 for a carry.

I'm all for last year's scoring with no changes for PPR, PPC, or Return Yards.  The PPR idea is interesting, but I tihnk it makes receiving backs way too valuable and there aren't many of them.  In the example above, I think an average RB can get 20 carries a game, but it's rare to find a WR that is catching 10 passes per week.  Get a guy like Ray Rice in there with rushing and receiving stats and his points per week could explode. 

Anyone remember when we find out the draft order?  Is it 45 min prior to the draft?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 3, 2010, 12:51 AM »
In the example above, I think an average RB can get 20 carries a game, but it's rare to find a WR that is catching 10 passes per week.  Get a guy like Ray Rice in there with rushing and receiving stats and his points per week could explode. 

It was just a rounded off example to show how you balance it out.  If a RB averages 20 and a WR averages 6, then you make it more like 1.0 to 0.3 instead of 1.0 to 0.5.

If you guys aren't interested, it's no big deal - but it's not a question of backs suddenly being worth more than receivers.  It's just a new wrinkle is all.  As for pass catching backs, yes they'd be more valuable - but that would just change your draft strategy, it wouldn't make it some sudden advantage for one person.  A guy who catches passes as well maybe just moves up into that top tier of backs instead of being relegated to second tier.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 3, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Agreed, just changes strategy for the draft which is why I suggested today as a deadline to make changes so guys could update their lists if need be. 

Unless there's a surge of support for a change during the day today, I'll just leave the scoring as it is from last year. 

Draft usually opens around 30 minutes before we begin and the draft order is set at that time.  I don't recall getting into any drafts 45 minutes early but I suppose it's not impossible. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 3, 2010, 03:02 PM »
If you guys aren't interested, it's no big deal - but it's not a question of backs suddenly being worth more than receivers.  It's just a new wrinkle is all.  As for pass catching backs, yes they'd be more valuable - but that would just change your draft strategy, it wouldn't make it some sudden advantage for one person.  A guy who catches passes as well maybe just moves up into that top tier of backs instead of being relegated to second tier.

I agree.  I'd be more in favor of this if I thought it would drive more mediocre guys into a larger pool of top performers.  I just don't like creating a handful of guys that drive considerably more points than anyone else and I think that would be the outcome.  The scoring is pretty even the way it currently stands.

Thanks for the timing Brent - I thought it was 45 min for some reason, but 30 min to plan out my draft strategy should be sufficient.  I'm sure that I can come up with some really lousy choices in that amount of time.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 4, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Ffffuuuuuuu

Just found out I have a club meeting on Wednesday night a little before draft time. Anybody know if Yahoo does computerized picks, or if they allow drafting via cell phone? If not I can probably find someone who can make my picks for me.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks