Author Topic: Rebel Commander  (Read 13570 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Rebel Commander
« on: June 9, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Rebel Commander
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2010, 12:24 AM »
Oddly enough...I had two Rebel Commanders and one Rebel Soldier in my collection as a kid (actually...still have them).

I like the new version, although the stance is kind of wide.  Still looks good on the Hoth Shelf in my collection though.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2010, 12:25 AM »
I always always thought that this guy was supposed to be Derlin.  Look at that guy on the right of this picture though...that isn't Derlin

And outside of the glasses being wrong...its the spitting image of that guy.

This figure to me is done and I'm satisfied.  In fact they have done this one to death and really really need to get to the Deck Officer version soon

And, if you really want a vintagesque Rebel Commander...put on a Derlin Head :P

« Last Edit: June 9, 2010, 12:25 AM by Scott »

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2010, 05:55 AM »
Was never a fan of the original Rebel Commander figure and this more recent rendition I have not seen in the plastic here in Australia at all (thanks to poor Hasbro distribution)

Pic of the newer version look good and the Derlin head doesn't look bad.

An update to this character would be good,legs closer together would work.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I liked all of the Hoth figures and vehicles as a kid.  Still do.  I see no need for an update other than maybe a less wide stance.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I have the Derlin re-paint from the Hoth UBP as my Commander modern counterpart.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2010, 05:48 PM »

I have NEVER seen this or tried it, but I am going to try this when I get home.

That being said.  I will grumpily say that Hoth Commander is NOT properly redone.  I want a Vintage Faithful one...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I actually remember buying the REbel Commander with some remaining cash from my allowance, at the local Children's Palace.  I also recall how disappointed I was he didn't hold his rifle well.   :-\  Still that was a figure that got a lot of play...  I liked the cold weather figures for some reason, and had a lot of them as a kid, plus the Hoth playsets to go with them.

Claiming the Hoth Rebel Commander as "done" is kind of tough...  The modern Rebel Trooper's based pretty specifically on a Trooper in the trenches manning the tri-pod gun.  I'll see later on if I can find a shot of him, but he's based on a guy who had some screen time...  That makes me somewhat torn on the Reb COmmander being "done" as a vintage figure... 

I will say though, I'd take any head variation of that Legacy Hoth Rebel Trooper...  They could put new headsculpts on that figure and I'd keep buying.  I'd also gladly buy that mustached guy, or the guy with the Fu Man Chu mustache that yells "Come on!" when the AT-AT's brought down.  I'd buy any of them though.

As far as the Legacy Hoth Rebel...  He's pretty perfect to me.

The width of the stance varies among my figures.  Some are more normal looking, others had pretty gaping stances.  I've fixed a few of them but not all. 

The sculpt's pretty flawless, the working holster strapped to the leg is great, the backpack is not hollow (I like that they did that), and I loved the trench tri-pod gun.  I'm disappointed we never got that head variant though, and if he's in a battlepack then the best army builder the Rebs have ever seen is once again going to be a bitch to army build.  That is frustrating to me...  I'll be glad to get that trooper of course, but it's a vastly superior army builder to the figure we got.

I picked up about 30 of the Hoth Rebel...  Almost anything I saw I bought, even a couple that the BAD part was missing.  I got a ton on sale at K-Mart and using the KM ad to get adjustments at WM.  I saw most of them at WM though, and not many anywhere else.  It's a figure I could stand seeing re-issued...  And if they did that, I'd really rather they re-issued the beardless trooper with the rifle.

A cool thing about the Hoth Trooper is head swaps are relatively easy and there's a number of heads that fit (Captain Needa for instance).  I added some Hoth Han hats to some, and Iv'e got other stuff I've added.  I even put a cloth scarf piece attached to one's helmet, and it works fantastically.  You can let it just hang on his hsoulder or wrap his face with it...  Very cool.

This was at least one of my favorites from Legacy...  Perhaps my absolute favorite.  The Hoth Rebs needed a decent foot soldier, and I was quite pleased with what Hasbro came up with.  Now if we'd just get head variations, that'd be perfect. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 01:18 PM »
A fun Legacy collection Hoth Rebel Trooper head swap is Trinto Duaba; you can make a Rebel that looks like a burn victim.

The vintage Rebel Commander had a lousy gun...thick handled. We had two of them, and 4 troopers. That was an okay force to man the Hoth stuff.  I never gave much thought to the Commander actually being the trooper. I did wonder why his pack was mold on, and others had to use the survival gear packs.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Perhaps on vintage time the packs with straps were weak and broke suddenly when putting on and off several times.

I agree, and I donīt consider the legacy guy the commander. We have another representation, the vintage rebel commander took part on the portrait of the atat, some mini rigs, tauntaun. He also appaeared on Marvel Star Wars comics.

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Yes, we don't have the Vintage Rebel Commander until we have a figure of this guy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:23 PM by SnTrooper »