Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2010  (Read 8958 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Last Minute....WORLD CUP Pick 'Em
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Not taking the piss, I couldn't even tell you the last time Canada qualified for the World Cup because I'm not a fan of football.  Just pointing out an asinine statement.  Everyone has a first World Cup match. ::)

But I did get the reaction I wanted, so thanks.   :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Not willing to take into account the almost universal outrage over such a terrible call, eh?  Almost every report I've seen on that match has had people completely baffled over Koman Coulibaly's call.  He would not explain the foul to the American players that led to the disallowed goal.  And a lot of observers think that he won't include an explanation in his post match report.  And what's worse, most of the American players in the box were being held by Slovenian players, but the ref calls a foul on the Americans?  That alone is cause for Koman Coulibaly's credibility and experience as a referee on the World Cup level to be called into question.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Sigh. 

For a brief, illuminating moment put aside your stubborn bullheaddedness and think about what I commented on. 

As for the universal outrage, you're sounding downright Republican on this one.  Here's a subtle hint: the U.S. isn't the center of the universe.  So no, I'm not ignoring the outrage but neither is it universal. 

The outrage I would think is justified; it's a dubious call.  I would suggest your bias is readily apparent in saying that "most of the American players in the box were being held".  Yes, certainly some of them were but if you bother to look objectively, you'll see some American fouls going on as well.  As many?  Probably not, but hardly entirely one sided. 

All that said you continue to miss my point: every ref has a first game at every single level.  Refs miss calls.  Your reaction and comment on it being his first game is what I went after.  He's human and indeed may have blown it.  Wah.  You're being an ass about it being his first game.  We had a parent thrown out of a 10 year old girls game today for berating the ref from the sideline.  He immediately made me think of your comment.  Ref's miss.  Deal with it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 04:40 PM »
All that said you continue to miss my point: every ref has a first game at every single level.  Refs miss calls. 

I'm not the type to usually say things are fixed... but this guy, missing that call, in that situation... makes me wonder...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 02:59 AM »
Ugh.  I've seen serious questions in English papers that were wondering what in the world elicited that call.  Where is the English press's vested interest in the U.S. doing well?  Especially since a good number of international soccer observers thought that England could win the tournament?

And we're not talking about a kid's soccer match.  There are rules at those games regarding the officials because parents don't know how to behave in front of children and some of them will get out of control.  How does that compare with the World Cup, and the pisspoor performance of a referee?  And mind you the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world.  And this was a call that could potentially shape the outcome of the tournament since points are awarded both for goals scored as well as wins.  That call directly impacted the standings of group C.

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:01 AM »
The ref made piss poor calls the entire match...the disallowed goal was just the height of his crappy officiating.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 11:06 AM »
The red card situation in some of the matches has been pretty astounding.  There was a red card in the first half of Chile - Switzerland that probably should have been a yellow.  And the red card in Germany - Serbia?  That had people calling for blood.

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 11:59 AM »
GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

US wins the group with England second.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 12:13 PM »
That was too close...when is this team going to have an offensive explosion ala Argentina or Portugal?

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Absolutely amazing!!!!  Landon Donovan cements his legacy in US Soccer lore with that rebound goal in stoppage time.

Clint Dempsey's disallowed goal?  Shocking, especially considering what happened in US v Slovenia.  He was clearly on side from all of the replays, but the linesman called him offside.  It's all academic now though, since the US wins Group C.  The first time the US has won their group since 1930.  The likely opponent in the group of 16 will be the runner up in group D.  Right now that looks like it may be Serbia.

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I'm pulling for a loss by Germany and a win by Australia myself.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 2, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Wow.... just wow.

So great to see Brazil go home (even though I had them winning in the Yahoo thing)

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 2, 2010, 02:36 PM »
Wow, that shakes things up a bit.
I am not the Stig

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 3, 2010, 12:34 AM »
Definitely shocked to see Brazil go out this early in the tournament.   Little Brazil in Manhattan was quiet as can be today.  But overall the Netherlands has been really strong in this World Cup.

Glad to see Ghana got eliminated after they beat the U.S.  The fact that Ghana couldn't make that penalty kick after the hand ball absolutely cost them the match.  And then the match ending penalty kicks were crazy.  And that winning one?  It basically fluttered in.

But what I really want to see?  Argentina - Germany!  Especially after Diego Maradona talked so much trash to the Germans.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2010, 12:35 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 3, 2010, 03:03 PM »
I'm not really a soccer fan, but I enjoy watching sports in HD from time to time just for the hell of it.  What's with those stupid horns?  Very annoying IMO.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN