Author Topic: NBA 2010-2011  (Read 53422 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2010-2011
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2011, 09:13 AM »

Looking forward to the Bulls/Heat matchup...Chitown pwned them in the regs season, but it's a new deal now.

Yes, they beat the Heat during the regular season, but then again ... so did the Celtics.  The Bulls won the three games by a total of 8 points.  In the first game, LeBron was sitting and Bosh went out in the 4th quarter, in the second game, Bosh had his infamous 1-18 performance (ugh), and the third game was the even more infamous "Crygate".  Just as a note, this is not the same Heat team.  That being said, Chicago scares the hell out of me.  They have home court advantage, a ridiculous defense, and D-Rose.  Of course I want to see the Heat win, but this is going to be a long series regardless.  I'm looking forward to it.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Very happy to see the Thunder roll on, that was an exciting series. I don't think Dallas wanted to play Memphis, they have some really tough matchups. OKC is more of a 2 man gang.

REALLY surprised to see the Bulls CRUSH the Heat that way. I figured all of these games would be close like the regular season, but that was just a beat down. I mean damn, are they really THAT much better than the Heat? Miami had a lot more time off to prepare for that game after all. I guess the Boston series was emotionally draining but damn, last night was embarrassing.

Hope they can get it together at least to make it competitive. Spoelstra really worries me though, that kid just seems in over his head.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2011, 07:38 PM »
These were by far the biggest highlights from last night's Bulls Heat game:

The Taj Gibson Show
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39 AM »
That was quite an impressive display from Dirk last night. I haven't watched much of the Mavs this year, because it's hard to shake that feeling that they're going to fall apart inevitably, but this team could go all the way. LOT of veteran leadership and savvy.

Seemed to work out ok letting Durant go wild and focus instead on shutting down Westbrook. If they can keep that up they will be in good shape.

If the Heat lose again tonight I think they are done.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 10:17 AM »
That was quite an impressive display from Dirk last night. I haven't watched much of the Mavs this year, because it's hard to shake that feeling that they're going to fall apart inevitably, but this team could go all the way. LOT of veteran leadership and savvy.

12-15 from the field and 24-24 from the line.  Scored 48 points while only taking 15 shots, none of them were 3-pointers.

One of the most (if not the most) efficient performances in playoff history. 

I do hope they go all the way... even if it means beating the local team here.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Ok, so last night is a lot more like what I expected to see from the Heat/Bulls series.

Who thawed out Haslem from his Cryo-Chamber before last night's game? Dude was a force!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Whoever thawed him out can go ahead and put him right back in as far as I'm concerned.  IMO he was the difference in the game, along with the Heat actually being able to get rebounds away from the Bulls.  The Bulls looked gas'd the entire game, it seemed like they couldn't get anything to fall, and they just didn't have the same intensity they had in Game 1.  I'm going to be very interested to see how it goes after Game 3 because after Sunday they go back to playing every other day.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2011, 09:58 AM »
I've decided I'm actually pretty excited for a Mavs/Heat Finals. Great storylines on both sides there.

Bulls and OKC are nice stories too, but they arrived too early. They have not paid their playoff dues yet, IMO. See you guys over the next few years.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08 AM »
Bulls and OKC are nice stories too, but they arrived too early. They have not paid their playoff dues yet, IMO. See you guys over the next few years.

Don't disagree with that statement, but who aside from Wade has actually paid their playoff dues on the Heat?  Would like to see the Thunder in the finals, but think they're still lacking a player of some sort, maybe two, on top of needing to learn to how to play in the playoffs in the later rounds.

And what's with the "blue out" in Oklahoma?  I get that the white out thing has been around for a while, but it's kind of all screwed up in sports with Phoenix Coyotes doing the white out that they inherited from us.  Of course it looks idiotic because the home teams in hockey wear dark jerseys.  (Oh and some idiots locally are talking about reviving the white out here, because it originated in Winnipeg yet they haven't figured out home teams don't wear white).  SO anyway on basketball the last two games the Thunder fans are decked out in the same color, almost exactly, as Dallas.  Weird.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25 AM »

Don't disagree with that statement, but who aside from Wade has actually paid their playoff dues on the Heat?

Though he hasn't won a championship, LeBron has been to the Finals and played in quite a few playoff series in his career.  Haslem has a title.  Bibby has been in the playoffs a ton throughout his career.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32 AM »
Right, Miami has plenty of dudes who have earned their shot, chiefly Lebron. This is not an up-and-comer type team with no previous playoff experience. OKC had never even won a playoff series before this year.

I just feel like the general path is that you slog it out for a couple of years in the playoffs before getting that title shot. Pistons did it, Bulls did it, Spurs, etc.

Even when Boston got there that first year with their Big 3 the guys themselves were pretty battle-tested. I just like to see a little seasoning rather than the "flash-in-the-pan" type teams. OKC and Chi-town are both young and have time to refine their games. They'll have other shots.

I hope Miami matches the grit Dallas displayed last night. I feel like both teams have one eye on each other now and are trying to keep pace. Should be a great Finals.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Whew, Miami really escaped narrowly last night, that would have been a tough loss to overcome. Pretty exciting stuff, although I still cannot understand how the Bulls are hanging in these games. They've barely got 2 guys that can score with any consistency. Yeah, the defense is good, but so is Miami's and their offense is much, much better. I guess rebounding is a big key, but still, kind of a head scratcher.

Hoping Mavs can close it out tonight and get some rest.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Yuck... looks like Dallas is our only hope now... if Wade does it to Dirk again the poor guy might hang himself.

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2011, 12:13 PM »
... if Wade does it to Dirk again the poor guy might hang himself.
Yeah, he just might.

This time around though, Dirk seems more dialed in and has an effective supporting cast.  From top to bottom, the Mavs are playing arguably the best team ball of the 4 remaining.  Their offense is flowing nicely, and they can go all the way.  I would be interested to see how things go for the Mavs against a team that plays tough D the entire game.  Can they keep this winning trend up?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2011, 12:25 PM »
This time around though, Dirk seems more dialed in and has an effective supporting cast.  From top to bottom, the Mavs are playing arguably the best team ball of the 4 remaining.  Their offense is flowing nicely, and they can go all the way.  I would be interested to see how things go for the Mavs against a team that plays tough D the entire game.  Can they keep this winning trend up?

Yep, there's a lot at stake with a Mavs/Heat match-up.  The single-star and solid team model vs. the collude-during-the-offseason-and-build-your-own-instant-all-star-team model.  If the Heat win the title this year all these players are going to keep trying to build their own championship teams through free agency.