Author Topic: NBA 2010-2011  (Read 53445 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2010-2011
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Ok, we're halfway there! Awesome showing by the Mavs last night, Dirk was money once again. I think you have to be a little concerned about their propensity to fall behind late in this OKC series though. The thrilling come from behind heroics are exciting, but they're not likely to duplicate that success consistently against a veteran team like the Heat.

What's up with hometown hero Eric Maynor (VCU) waving off his OKC teammates at the end there? Did he forget who he was?  :D

Looking forward to a spirited match-up tonight, Bulls are going to bring it.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2011, 09:15 AM »

Looking forward to a spirited match-up tonight, Bulls are going to bring it.

Agreed.  I don't think the Heat will close out the Bulls tonight (though I obviously hope they do).  The Madhouse is going to be crazy.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Am now cheering for the Mavs.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Am now cheering for the Mavs.   ;)

I'll second that!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2011, 08:57 AM »
What a wild game...I really thought the Bulls were going to get it done. For about 45 minutes they looked invincible.

Should be a great Finals, so many angles, storylines, etc. I just wish they would start throwing down this weekend!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2011, 10:30 AM »
If the Heat win after these three guys colluded to make their own all star team, I'm officially done with Basketball. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I saw the last 3 minutes of the Bulls game... sad that the Bulls couldn't guard against the 3s. some phantom WWF penalties, too. I guess that's why I began to hate watching NBA, too subjective of calls and obvious favoritism of star players. And, Rose needed to pass the ball instead of being stuffed repeatedly.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2011, 11:17 AM »
... some phantom WWF penalties, too. I guess that's why I began to hate watching NBA, too subjective of calls and obvious favoritism of star players.

I didn't catch the end of last night's game unfortunately but I'll echo the complaint about the NBA's officiating.  I said it back when the Celtics won that I thought it felt fixed and it sure seems that way these days.  It's almost ordained who will win each year.  I know that's a conspiracy theory primarily.  I just find it odd that the NBA would want the Heat to win after how that worked out.  It's great for the fans in Miami, but are there really people in other cities that approve of how that deal went down?  Other than displaced Floridians that were already Heat fans that is.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2011, 11:35 AM »
I may be a bit biased being a Chicagoan, but when you consider that the Bulls and Heat were tied (at least I thought they were) in defensive rank this season, the number of penalties that were called on the Bulls compared to the Heat was significant.  I don't see how one team could be that much more prone to penalties than the other when they were ranked almost equally going into the series.  By giving the Heat 10+ additional attempts per game, it changed the complexion of the game (points, substitutions, momentum).  I didn't think that the games were called very well at all the entire series, but it was particularly bad in the final minutes of last night's game.

And I for one am really getting tired of the overacting going on in the NBA.  Lebron drops to a knee and grabs his face as if Rose punched him, only to be revealed on the replay that Rose didn't even touch him.  What a crock.  These babies need to toughen up.  Fine, when Bosh and James were hit by Boozer on his flagrants, I agree that they should go down.  But the others?  Come on...  I think that the NBA needs to seriously consider penalties for overacting..
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Agreed.  There was a bad one in the Dallas series too; I think it was Ibaka who made out like he'd be stabbed in the face after a Dallas player's elbow came within a foot of his face.  He fell to the floor clutching his face - it was absolutely ridiculous and I was cheering for the Thunder too. 

The refs can only call what they call (poorly, it seems, but oh well) but the league should institute a "diving" rule.  If upon review, no foul was deemed to have occurred and the player overacted they should apply a hefty fine.  So yeah, maybe you get the foul in the game but the $10,000 fine after the fact probably makes you think twice the next time. 

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2011, 04:11 PM »
I still can't believe that the Heat managed to pull that one out.  Wow!
I've purchased tickets for games 1 and 2 and will be flying to Florida on Tuesday.  Can't wait!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 1, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Heatles!

Neal, how was it?

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 1, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Heatles!

Neal, how was it?

It was awesome.  The Arena was going nuts, especially during the 4th quarter.  I had a great time.  Worth every penny.  Here's hoping I have a similar experience tomorrow night at game 2!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 3, 2011, 08:56 AM »
What an incredible game, this Finals has been the most entertaining I can remember in some time. I don't think I even care who wins, I just want to see them keep going at it like this for 7 games.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 3, 2011, 09:49 PM »
What an incredible game, this Finals has been the most entertaining I can remember in some time. I don't think I even care who wins, I just want to see them keep going at it like this for 7 games.

That game was like a punch square in the nuts ... made even worse by seeing it in person.  It's still bothering me now.  Ugh.