Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Glitch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: FX-7
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:59 PM »

This is about as close to perfect as a vintage redo can get.  Aside from needing a little more metallic color, it's perfect.

Seriously great figure that I would LOVE to see reissued on a vintage card!

:)

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14 AM »
I remember the original ( and think I still have him somewhere) and thinking he was pretty cool considering his arms could flex up a little bit. Never did get the  newer version but it looks very cool too!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:16 AM »
I agree, Hasbro knocked the new one out of the park. I think it's long overdue for a re-issue as well. The annoying thing about the vintage one is that it's very typical to have the arms fall/break off due to normal play.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:39 PM »
I didn't actually have the vintage one as a kid, although I picked one up later in life.  As others have mentioned, I think the modern version is pretty much perfect.  Actually some of Hasbro's best work, and maybe one that has been forgotten about a bit in the years since.  I know I haven't really looked closely at it for awhile, but it really is an amazing figure.  I wouldn't mind seeing it get re-released as well, as I always wanted another.  I suppose it maybe wouldn't be a big enough "name" for Hasbro now, but maybe it could fit into a battle pack or something.  They could straight repack it as far as I'm concerned....great figure.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I alway liked ths figure...which sometimes doubled as the Imperial probe droid until I got the Hoth Turret playset.

The modern update is an awesome figure.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Pretty much what others have said...  The vintage FX-7 figure served well into my GIJ days even, helping out Doc to patch up wounded Joes.  They were on the cutting edge of technology afterall. :)

I still have my vintage, but most of his arms got torn off, so he's in the custom fodder bin waiting to find new life.

The modern figure...  Wow.  That's one of my favorites.  It was from the moment it came out, and I still pick FX-7 up for semi-cheap at toy shows.  When he came out, he was a bitch to find...  Then that wave hit again and again where I am, and I wound up picking up several.  I can usually find them for $4 or so, and I pick them up because it's just that good and repaints nicely.

I loved how Hasbro articulated all the arms of course, but what I really liked was the red paint details that Hasbro was able to catch on the arms, and then put onto the figure.  Well done!  Details like that weren't all that common in those days.  The little paint blotches sometimes are the real "wow, they noticed that?!?" thing to me.

The fact Hasbro made it work with a Deluxe figure at the time, that was just icing on the cake then...  Still one of my favorite "set pieces" to display figures around.  You can't really do much with it, but it sure as hell looks nice all put together. :)

I'd love a Bacta/Medical bay pack of some sort, maybe if they found a way to light the tank or something...  The top leaves a LOT of room for a simple light source with very minor tooling changes, actually.  Having it fill with water anbd blowing bubbles then is kind of funny too though.

But FX-7 holds up insanely well today.  He was really ahead of his time in 1999-2000, considering what was coming out at the time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 12:12 AM »
My brother and I had this figure back in the day (1980), and the claw arm broke off pretty early. I found a used one in the early 90's that had a softer claw arm. I'm guessing there was a production variant/change at some point.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:13 AM by scockery »

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I still have my FX-7 from the 80s, fully functional I might add. Not so surprising since he got zero to none action in my scenarios. Did you know vinty FX-7 can literally stick his neck out for his fellow Rebels?

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Greatest figures ever!!  Did u quit doing these?
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Hoping to see CA92 come back, and wrap up.  Greatest feature idea ever on the site IMHO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2013, 09:49 PM »
I would have loved to see the POTJ release re-issued on a Vintage cardback when that line was going. There is NO need to resculpt or rework what they did 12 years ago.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Good candidate for a vintage Kenner colored repaint. If they ever do those...which they won't.  :(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Sorry...I posted in this thread earlier.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:40 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:57 PM »
He'd make an awesome repaint, I agree.  Silver, he'd be like a whole nother droid.  I'd pick him up for sure.

I've used the vintage one in some customs because you can find that one beat to piss with the arms chewed off and I don't feel too bad hacking him up further.  Love the droid head.  It's simplistic looking and so different it works for different figures you want to try with that plain look to them.