Author Topic: G.I. Joe Renegades - The Toys  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Renegades - The Toys
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:16 AM »
With the announcement that GI Joe will be moving towards the "Renegades" storyline and style in 2011. We can use this area to discuss this new direction.

I guess I am the old crusty fan that dislikes change.  The animation style is ugly and the characters look Clone Wars lame to me.

Why is it that Gl Joe ran from 1982-199whatever without a big stylized change?   Sure there were theme changes but 1983 swivel arm Shortfuze looks fine with 1990 Duke.

To say something positive at least there will a ton of vehicle possibilities.  

As far as the series goes I will hold off on opinions but how unimaginative is the anti-hero against the government and big business concept they are going with?  

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:37 AM by Jeff »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Renegades - The Toys
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50 PM »
As far as the series goes I will hold off on opinions but how unimaginative is the anti-hero against the government and big business concept they are going with?  

Totally.  Although I am an anti-government, anti-big business anarchist in my real life, When it comes to the Joes, I want them to be totally USA #1.  I don't want a worldwide strike force like in the movie, and I don't want a team of misunderstood subversives who are trying to do the right thing a la The A Team.  I don't mind a little more sophistication to Cobra, but I still want Cobra Commander to be batshit insane and trying to use lasers to carve his face on the moon and stuff.  And with the Joes, I want the best of America's best.  Even in the recent comics, the whole at-odds-with-the-government stuff has been getting a little tiresome.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I haven't really been checking out the new coverage of the new show - or if/when the new toys roll around, but I'll reserve judgement until everything pans out.  Just wondering how Hasbro manages on juggling Resolute/Renegades/25th appearances/POC/GIJOE2 in the coming years.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:15 AM »

Totally.  Although I am an anti-government, anti-big business anarchist in my real life, When it comes to the Joes, I want them to be totally USA #1.  I don't want a worldwide strike force like in the movie, and I don't want a team of misunderstood subversives who are trying to do the right thing a la The A Team.  I don't mind a little more sophistication to Cobra, but I still want Cobra Commander to be batshit insane and trying to use lasers to carve his face on the moon and stuff.  And with the Joes, I want the best of America's best.  Even in the recent comics, the whole at-odds-with-the-government stuff has been getting a little tiresome.

Thirded for truth...

I'll check the toon out, but I've got the Clone  Wars precedent set in my mind, and it's good, and it's going to be hard for this new series to match it...  Not to mention that Resolute set a whole other precedent, and this is going to be nothing like it I guess.  I like the idea of going back to the roots, but between the pooping on the toy line for it (why not run 2 lines ala Star Wars?), and the early word on the plot, I'm kinda setting myself up for disappointment.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Hasbro can't figure out what they want to do.  Back at the 2008 Joecon they wowed us with the Resolute teaser trailer but didn't time the toy line with the cartoon releases.   

Now it seems they want to get kids interested again with this new cartoon and toy line.  In the end the higher ups want it to be mostly popular with kids but it never seems to work.