Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 57934 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I glossed over the bit where it's a prequel; I guess I stuck more on they spent $200 million for the rights to the books. It will be odd, then, if they don't adapt LOTR as a series. But either way, there's a mountain of stuff there.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16 PM »
If they try things like the Silmarillion, or the Children of Hurin and some of the ancient Middle Earth lore surrounding characters like Morgoth, Sauron and such, it could be compelling stuff.  The Elves and Dwarves go back to those times as well, as do the 5 Mythrandir.  But adapting it is a challenge.  I would hope that Peter Jackson might get involved from a producers standpoint since he knows the material so well.  And the design work of artists like John Howe and Alan Lee were a big part of what grounded that production, as were the people at Weta in New Zealand.  Amazon should really consider the value of their experience in producing this project if they're really going to go there with a LOTR project.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Here's a detail that probably played into the recent developments about a Warner Brothers/Amazon partnership for this LOTR series:  J.R.R. Tolkien's Son Resigns as Director of Tolkien Estate, Ending Decades of Tightly Controlled Adaptations
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback