Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 57949 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2003, 03:02 PM »
All I can say is:  READ THE BOOKS!!  Fellowship drags on in the journey to the Bree and the Tom Bombadil chapters but if you can get past that (and this is just my opinion) the rest of the books are fantastic.  
Beth

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2003, 03:25 PM »
All I can say is:  READ THE BOOKS!!  Fellowship drags on in the journey to the Bree and the Tom Bombadil chapters but if you can get past that (and this is just my opinion) the rest of the books are fantastic.  

I agree with Beth on both accounts - read the books and the Shire parts drag (both the beginning of FOTR and the end of ROTK).  I might read it again in anticipation of ROTK.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #62 on: October 3, 2003, 01:28 PM »
There's a hi-res version at lordoftherings.net if ye need a better one.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2003, 09:32 AM »
6 more weeks...6 more weeks

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 8, 2003, 03:20 PM »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 8, 2003, 03:26 PM »
Crap in a hat, I forgot. For those of us stuck in Iowa, I present to you the theaters that will be screening the extended versions of Fellowship and Two Towers:

Wynnsong 16
5233 NW 84th Street
Johnston, IA 50131

Showcase 53 Cinema 18
3601 E. 53rd Street
Davenport, IA 52807

I'm surprised Cedar Rapids and Des Moines didn't get these, but Johnston isn't far from DM. Of course, Waterloo/CF wouldn't get them, so I wasn't holding my breath.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2003, 10:48 AM »
So...anyone heard definitively if Aragorn and Sauron are going to go head to head?  Or is that just a rumor and Aragorn does go up against the Mouth of Sauron...

Cool poster!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2003, 12:32 PM »
So...anyone heard definitively if Aragorn and Sauron are going to go head to head?  Or is that just a rumor and Aragorn does go up against the Mouth of Sauron...

Cool poster!

I didn't hear anything definitively.  However, I was reading through some LOTR book - I believe it was the weopons and warfare one - and its reasonably infered that he faces the Mouth of Sauron and not Sauron himself.  Its a pretty cool book, I might have to go back and pick it up.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2003, 11:48 AM »
I'm sure people saw the stuff Melkor reported over at GHand RS that Sauruman has been cut from the theatrical release of ROTK.  How do you feel about that?  It sort of sucks that he is left hanging with his fate undecided

I also realize there were no plans for the Shire ending ala the books so again he is not needed...sort of strange but also I can see why it happened

Also, it seems like New Line has always held the line that the movies come under a certain time frame so Jackson didn't have a lot of choice with most of the movies focusing on the trio going into Mordor and the battle of Gondor

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2003, 12:06 PM »
I was hoping the flick was going to be three and a half hours, but I doubt it now. Another quickie for New Line's bottom line.

Screw it, at least I get what I want on the EE DVDs.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2003, 02:05 PM »
I heard that The ROTK was three and a half hours long, from someone i know who saw the screening of it.  But i did not hear that Saruman was cut from ROTK, why?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2003, 02:45 PM »
Yeah, this was a bummer to hear of Saruman/Christopher Lee's exclusion...  That's a loose end that really should be tied up theatrically, since not everyone's actually read the books and knows what's happened to him.

Sorry to hear that the real conclusion involving the Scouring of the Shire is left out too.   :-\

I'm sure it'll still be a great flick though, like the previous two.  Hopefully equally long in length as those two as well!   8)

I'm sure that the ROTK EE will fill in a few holes once it's released though, but I'd rather have a couple of these bigger plot points picked up in the theater personally.  Oh well!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2003, 11:08 AM »
theonering.net has 'Into the West' from the soundtrack/score on the main page. It's sung (sang?) by Annie Lennox. Please drop any Eurhytmics expectaions--this is great stuff.

The soundtrack is out next week, Nov. 25.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2003, 08:05 PM »
This may be some good news that SWCJB just posted over at GH:

SPOILERS:
The scene being cut from the film is the wizard duel between Gandalf and Saruman. Christopher Lee is not out of ROTK entirely but is upset that the 7 minute battle was cut. Whether or not the Palantir incident or Shire incident will still be in it remains to be seen but I'm betting yes.

Hopefully Saruman's in there somewhere.  He's just been too important a character in the first two to leave out entirely, without addressing his demise...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2003, 03:51 PM »
Hopefully that's true.  It wouldn't be right if Christopher Lee didn't grace the screen with all his castmates one last time.  Just have him wave goodbye, I don't care.