Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 57931 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2003, 10:03 PM »
At my screening people cheered Spidey 2 and laughed at loud after the Punisher.  It looks ridiculous to me.  I'm seeing it tomorrow afternoon again as well.  Can't wait.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2003, 10:11 PM »
A truly magnificent work of art!  Loved it!  The battles are just incredible, the cinematography is breathtaking, the acting is superb, the whole thing was just beautiful.  What more can you say?  I could've gone for longer as well, but I know many people who's bladders wouldn't have made it.  We'll just have to wait for the EE version to come out soon, and enjoy it in the comfort of our own homes, with our favorite toilet right nearby!   :P

Granted the Hobbit movie will undoubtedly show up several years down the road, which is probably why they played up the Bilbo footage at the end of ROTK (to round out the entire story), but I was so sad to have to say goodbye to Middle Earth and its cast of characters in the waning moments of this film.  I didn't want it to end!

and the ultimate trilogy edition (the entire trilogy will be released as a set, with even more material added).

Is this just an educated or hopeful guess Wookiee, or have you actually heard legitimate proof of that somewhere and if so, where?  While I'd LOVE to get even more footage, I'll be a tad bummed that I've got 3 EE sets sitting around as extras if a giant boxset gets released later on down the line.

Perhaps it's something that won't happen until Tolkien's complete Middle Earth boxset can be truly complete - with the inclusion of The Hobbit movie too.  I guess I can see that happening.  Makes good sense!

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2003, 11:05 PM »
Im trying to find the link, it was posted in the forums at lordoftheringsguide.com. Basically someone at New Line (someone of seeming importance that would legitimately know) hinted that a longer complete trilogy set would come out sometime in 2005, with more footage added.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2003, 11:07 PM »
Sorry, I guess it didnt actually say new stuff would be added, it is just described as "vast, gigantic"

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/columnists/story.asp?id=229227BA-551B-4525-8524-6EED7735C2D2

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2003, 01:09 AM »
http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20031217

I was feeling the same way as Brent, Cole, and Francis.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2003, 03:28 PM »
I caught the noon showing of Return of the King at the Rave theatre in Birmingham. The funny thing is that there were only about 6 people in the theatre because everyone had walked into the first of two screens showing the movie at the same time (doh!) - which made it a much more enjoyable experience for us in the second showing.

Having not read the books, everything here was fresh to me and I only had guesses as to how the movie was going to end. So take that into consideration when I say that this movie is the best movie I've seen this year.

Mild spoilers

Return Of The King really kicked *** . Easily the best movie I've seen in the theatres since Two Towers, I'll probably be going in to watch this again just to show my appreciation.

Unlike movies like T3 or X2, where its sort of 'Eh' a day or two after seeing it, several scenes in ROTK have stuck in my head a day after seeing it. Most of the amazing scenes come from the big battle at the end, specially where the Riders of Rohan attack the flank of the Orcs and confront those big elephant *******s. The fight with the spider ******* (Bosheilia? I couldn't make out what the hell they called her.) was really creepy, and I'm not even all that scared of spiders. One of the coolest little scenes is where the Orcs do a cool 'D-Day' like invasion into the outter wall place (forgot the name), using little boats with dropping planks.

Anycrap -
The only flaws in the movie, in my opinion, are :

The scene with Legolas climbing up the elephant ******* was very poorly CG'd... As I was watching it I couldn't beleive the CG guys didn't have Legolas climbing the thing by sticking arrows into the elephant *******'s legs like a rock climber. Instead, Legolas just effortlessly scales the elephant *******, fighting off the bad guys with his Elf-aim, and somehow keeps his balance as he kills the thing and (surprisingly to me) survives as it crashes to the ground... I dunno, it just didn't look well done to me. Too fake.

Another big flaw is that the movie ends about 4 times... The screen goes black and the music fades, but then opens right back up to another scene. Poorly done, I think.

I'll probably think of a few more parts that I didn't like, but those are the only ones that really stood out after the first viewing.

Spoilers done

Reward the cast/crew of the LOTR movies by seeing this movie at least twice... Maybe then other movie makers will catch a clue and start making more than just 'decent' stuff.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2003, 04:23 PM »
The scene with Legolas climbing up the elephant ******* was very poorly CG'd... As I was watching it I couldn't beleive the CG guys didn't have Legolas climbing the thing by sticking arrows into the elephant *******'s legs like a rock climber. Instead, Legolas just effortlessly scales the elephant *******, fighting off the bad guys with his Elf-aim, and somehow keeps his balance as he kills the thing and (surprisingly to me) survives as it crashes to the ground... I dunno, it just didn't look well done to me. Too fake.

Yeah, there was some questionable CG in that scene, but it sounds like a lot of people really loved that part.  But Legolas didn't just climb right up the creature with no assistance.  If you watch closely, he's actually climbing up all the arrows that are already stuck in it, using them like a ladder of sorts.  So that makes a little more sense at least.

But I agree that it looked a little unbelievable that once he got to the top he had no trouble maintaining his balance at all, despite the more than rough ride...

As for the smooth landing, well, you should've already known by that point Brad that Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn are pretty much indestructable.  They could've probably beat entire armies just between the three of them...   :P

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2003, 09:34 PM »
The Legolas stuff is an example of something that would probably make more sense after reading the books. If I understand correctly (from what other readers have told me), Elves are extraordinarily (beyond any human's abilities) dextrous, which allows for that kind of stuff. So while it may seem unbelievable, it remains in the context of the books.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2003, 10:46 AM »
I caught a second show last night. Loved it even more because I wasn't so tired.

While Legolas was taking down that mumakil, some guy uttered 'bullsh--'. This was probably the same guy that shouted 'IS THAT IT?' at the end of FOTR.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 10:46 AM by HMI »

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2003, 08:17 PM »
Just wanted to share my new signature.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2003, 01:47 PM »
That has got to be one of the best quotes ever.

Who said that? Greg, or Gregg?
Got Clones?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2003, 02:14 PM »
"As for peter Jackson  he gets way to much credit, all he does is transform the book onto the screen with the help of a few others, big deal." - Movie Critic GNT

In my own critical opinion....what a twit!  He doesn't even know the proper form of the word TOO, a descriptive word, as in "GNT posts way TOO much".

As for Peter Jackson:  PJ has really taken Tolkienn's vision and made it reality on screen.  He's done so through an extraordinary effort, having done a number of things never done before in major motion pictures.  Like?

-Using multiple units shooting footage simultaneously and using satellite hookups not only to communicate, but also to direct and view dailies from a completely remote location.

-Using new technology in digital animation like WETA's Massive software which enabled those immense battles.

-He and his wife lent such a complete air of devotion to the essence of the story due to their own fandom and love of Professor Tolkienn's work.

-He took 3 years to prepare for the filming of this trilogy, including building  working sets of Edoras and Hobbiton that took nearly a year to complete.

-His treatment was so deadon that he got the funding upfront for all three films from New Line Cinema.

-Gathering together the resources and talent to craft one of the best CG characters ever seen on the big screen in the form of Gollum.

Speaking as someone who works in television, and knows what massive efforts go into a television production, I can say with an extreme level of certainty that the film achievements of The Lord Of The Rings trilogy have been nothing short of miraculous AND revolutionary.  It takes a leader, in the form of a director and executive producer like Peter Jackson to make something like that happen.  Is the series perfect?  No, but I put the challenge to anyone to make a better rendition than Peter Jackson and crew have.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 02:16 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Oh, that GNT. I'm willing to bet he thought the Matrix sequels were the greatest things ever committed to celluloid too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 03:25 PM by HMI »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2003, 03:54 PM »
I think he liked them, but can't remember for sure.

That statement above makes no sense.  Without Peter Jackson, there would be no LOTR films.  Period.  Someone else could have directed them, but the vision Jackson has that informs every frame would be gone.  Yeah, Jackson did nothing.  He only devoted seven years of his life to 20 hour days to make this thing.   ::)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2003, 04:47 PM »
Yeah, if converting written word into moving pictures was easy, every single comic book movie out there would be a blockbuster, every movie with any basis on a book would blow away all others. There are a BUNCH of excellent books out there that have incredibly crappy movie counterparts...

Heck, just take a look at the animated Lord of the Rings (Hobbit and ROTK were ok). That movie was deplorable!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 04:48 PM by BigDumbWookiee »