Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 57955 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #226 on: May 5, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I've heard aboutt his but haven't had the time to watch it yet.  I heard it was made for $3000 US dollars.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #227 on: July 7, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Watched the EE Blu Rays on Friday and Saturday.  The "endings" of ROTK still fill my eyes with tears every time I see it.  Especially when Aragorn bends his knee to the Hobbits...man

The EEs are great too, really flesh out the rest of the story.  I found TTT to drag a little more than I remembered.  Great great great stuff and it really has me looking forward to The Hobbit more than ever.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 7, 2011, 10:30 AM »
I actually started watching these last night.  We got a late start and only watched the first half of Fellowship, but the transfer looks phenomenal and the effects held up in HD better than I expected.  We're going to finish Fellowship tonight and then watch the rest this weekend.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 7, 2011, 10:36 AM »
I ordered the EE Blu-ray with some extra Amazon gift card dollars I had left over.  Should be delivered today... now to find time and sit and watch them.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03 PM »
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd bump in case anyone still is in need of the EE Blu-ray set.  Amazon has it up on a 1-day flash sale for $29.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Extended-Editions/dp/B007ZQAKHU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416960140&sr=8-2&keywords=the+lord+of+the+rings

Great price considering it was $120 when it first came out...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Yeah I got it for $37 and free shipping last month, and man it's incredible to own it in HD and play it on the big screen.  The kids want to marathon it with me, which I did once before and it was almost enough to turn your brain to mush, but it was an experience...  They want to do this before The Hobbit too.   ::)

It's up there with Star Wars to me, so owning it was a no-brainer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2014, 11:16 PM »
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd bump in case anyone still is in need of the EE Blu-ray set.  Amazon has it up on a 1-day flash sale for $29.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Extended-Editions/dp/B007ZQAKHU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416960140&sr=8-2&keywords=the+lord+of+the+rings

Great price considering it was $120 when it first came out...

Thanks for that.  I've only owned the regular DVD EE editions up to now so that'll be a nifty addition to the 80" Sharp.   :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2014, 05:25 AM »
And I thought the $50 I paid for the Blu-Rays a few years ago was a good deal...

I've actually been meaning to marathon these for the longest time but have just never gotten around to it. I haven't seen TTT or ROTK in well over a decade. I didn't quite care for the first two Hobbits but I'm dragging myself to see the third so I suppose now would be a good time to do so.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I had only owned the DVD EE's so it seemed like the best time to get these, finally.  They also had the Star Wars Blu-ray set for $80 so I got that to go along with it.  Hopefully this will be the last time I have to buy these until they are converted to Ultra 4K HD versions once the technology is available  :P

The boys are still too young to be able to see LOTR, but once they are able, I can't wait to marathon these and the SW movies.  Will definitely be a lot of fun when the time comes.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2017, 01:46 AM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-show_us_5a09efb5e4b0b17ffcdf83bc

Hmmm, interesting.  I mean for some reason new Tolkien stuff doesn't interest me quite the way new Star Wars does, but at this point I should just look at it similarly and realize it was inevitable.  I'm not much of a streaming guy, like ever, outside of Youtube videos, so I don't even know what I'd do here.  I'm not a fan of paying for a bunch more stuff on top of my cable bill, but at the same time I'm not a fan of ditching my cable either...  But I'd kinda like to watch this if it is actually decent.

Anyway, just another franchise making something we may or may not like.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2017, 08:13 AM »
I don't see how this is a good investment.  We already have a solidly definitive LOTR trilogy.  There were a few departures from the novels, but not enough to carry an entire series.  The TV series can't match the movie budget.  All I'd be doing the whole time is thinking about how the movie Gandalf was better, or the movie battles were more epic.  It's a PG-rated epic, so they can't take advantage of the sex and violence that makes most streaming series compelling.  I just don't see any way this series wins.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2017, 10:20 AM »
I'm wondering how Amazon will distinguish this series from the Peter Jackson trilogy.  Are they going to sell it with "Oh, here are those Tom Bombadil scenes that you didn't get to see"?

I think everyone knows that the Tolkkien source material is really rich.  But there is significant potential to get bogged down in that all, too.  And are you going to be able to put together a cast that can deliver performances that are as memorable as the PJ trilogy?  I'm having a tough time seeing the value in Amazon moving forward with this project.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2017, 11:24 AM »
Lots of thoughts on this. On one hand, this seems very natural; the world is sort of made for TV. On the other, we know what 9+ hours of the Hobbit looks like, and we didn't enjoy it. The LOTR films are so iconic that this will suffer by comparison; it would be like if someone did the original SW trilogy on TV in the 90s. Imagine the screams of terror/derision.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29 PM »
It's going to be a prequel, so it's not going to re-imagine anything Jackson did. It's supposedly going to focus on other characters and time periods, there is plenty of great story fodder from the Silmarillion and things like that.

I agree trying to re-do the movie stuff would have been pointless.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy