Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 58288 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2004, 04:12 PM »
Man oh man oh man, I just cannot wait to see this, I also am fully assured that this IS the greatest work of film ever, depth, effects, adaptation, acting, score, directing, everything...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2004, 04:56 PM »
http://www.lordoftherings.net/

Just in case you didn't see it in the DVD thread, a 6 minute preview of ROTK: EE.

Wow, that looks awesome.  I can't wait for this thing.  Seems like it's been years since this was in the theater.  I haven't watched the regular ROTK DVD, 'cause the EE is the only one that "counts" to me.

Plus, I've been waiting several years now to just spend an entire Saturday watching all three EEs back-to-back-to-back.  Gonna be an amazing theatrical experience, and incredible to watch the ENTIRE story unfold all together.  Damn, I'm giddy with anticipation!   8)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2004, 06:17 PM »
I'll be adding The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Special Extended Edition) DVDs to my Christmas List. If anyone has forgotten, that's 12 discs worth in one slipcase.

:o

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2004, 07:09 PM »
I'll be adding The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Special Extended Edition) DVDs to my Christmas List. If anyone has forgotten, that's 12 discs worth in one slipcase.

Wait, wait, wait a second here...  Are you saying they're gonna be releasing a boxset of all three EEs together?  I don't follow the DVD news too religiously, but that's the first I've heard of it (though I assumed they would probably do that eventually).

I REALLY hope they don't add anything into that set that isn't otherwise available in the other three EE sets seperately.  Anyone know the details on this thing?  Or is Brad just talkin' out of his ass?!   :P

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2004, 08:11 PM »
>:(
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 08:15 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2004, 12:05 AM »

Just in case you didn't see it in the DVD thread, a 6 minute preview of ROTK: EE.

Sweet.

I can't decide if I should buy this on Dec. 14th or wait for it as a Christmas gift.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2004, 08:06 AM »
Bought it yesterday and told the wife to get home early so we weren't up until pass my bedtime.  Absolutely amazing.  The added scenes really added to an already great movie.  More Army of the Dead, Corsair pirates, Siege on Minas Tirith, Battle of the Pelannor Fields and March to the Black Gate.  Really enjoyed the added scene with Saruman and Wormtongue (in fact, I watched just that scene before the wife got home) and Mouth of Sauron - too short though, could have been longer.   And the Witch King vs. Gandalf fight really shows how much of a bad ass the WK was.

I'm already planning an all day event after I get my big screen TV and watching the EE back to back to back.  Can't wait.

And there are two Easter Eggs this time, both accessed the same way as one the previous EEs.  Go the scene selection option and go to the last page.  Scroll down until you see the one ring at the bottom of the screen and select it.  Disc 1 is a interview Dominic M. (Merry) does with Elijah (Frodo).  Elijah doesn't know it's Dom and thinks he's some German reporter doing a regular interview.  Pretty funny stuff.  Disc 2 is from the 2004 MTV movie awards where Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn try to convince PJ to do a sequel to the trilogy.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline The Collector

• Youngling
  • Behold! I am The Collector!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2004, 03:42 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to buy this. I was at Best Buy yesterday. >:(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2004, 10:05 PM »

Sweet.

I can't decide if I should buy this on Dec. 14th or wait for it as a Christmas gift.

Simple solution:  buy it for your significant other, like I did.  Hee, hee.  Actually, she really wants these movies.  Honest. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2004, 02:49 AM »
I rushed out and bought it Tuesday morning. Couldn't wait, after all. :)

Of course, I haven't been able to find the four hours to watch it, but I have soaked in the Creating The LOTR Symphony disc that came with the gift set, and that was pretty neat.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2004, 01:10 PM »

Wait, wait, wait a second here...  Are you saying they're gonna be releasing a boxset of all three EEs together?  I don't follow the DVD news too religiously, but that's the first I've heard of it (though I assumed they would probably do that eventually).

I REALLY hope they don't add anything into that set that isn't otherwise available in the other three EE sets seperately.  Anyone know the details on this thing?  Or is Brad just talkin' out of his ass?!   :P

So, is there a 12 disc set? Or was Brad butt talking [again]?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2004, 05:21 PM »
Yep, there is indeed a 12-disc set.  It's the same discs that came with the individual EEs, but there's a slip case to store them all. There's no extra footage as far as i can tell.

Link
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 05:24 PM by Rob L »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #177 on: January 3, 2005, 11:35 AM »
So...we've watched it up to the point where Sam and Frodo hit the plains or Mordor and the other guys march on the Black Gate

Three major changes I noticed and not sure I really liked:

#1 The confrontation of the Witchking and Gandalf while pretty sweet (the staff shattering was great!) It just didn't need to be there IMO. 

#2 The Witchking's Death is now no longer shown on screen...what's the deal with that?  I thought the regular cut showed it rather nicely and was pretty faithful to the book if I remember right.  And then they cut in Goonies guy going after Eowyn again it didn't make much sense and I thought the battle was a little more confused (still love those Oliphants though!).  Then they cut in the Houses of Healing scene all the while Pippin is out looking for Merry on the battle field.  That made no sense either. 

In fact...I think the new edit sort of sucks and is the one glaring addition that was changed in all 3 movies that I didn't really like at all.  The rest of the stuff was great though.

#3 The Faramir/Denethor burn baby burn scene took place in the proper book location now and the extended bits show them walking to the Halls.  But they still showed Denethor leaping off the cliff probably a mile from where he set himself on fire.  Most people probably wouldn't catch that but I thought it was dumb to change Part A and leave part B be the same.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 3, 2005, 02:53 PM »
I agree with your #3. I think he would have burned to a crisp before he reached the cliff.

It does make for a great shot though, regardless of continuity.

I would like to get that song from the Houses of Healing on CD.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #179 on: January 3, 2005, 03:12 PM »
Got my ROTK DVD for Christmas as well.  Actually, Patty's cousins screwed up and got me the regular theatrical version, but we took it to Best Buy afterwards, and they did an EVEN EXCHANGE for the EE.  I was pretty shocked (and obviously thrilled) about that...

So anyway, I haven't watched it yet, 'cause I want to have an EE marathon viewing party with myself - all 3 EE's in a row.  Yes, I'm perfectly capable of planting myself on the coach for about 12 straight hours!   ;)

Only problem was having to get rid of the wife for the day, so I could enjoy them uninterrupted, and without any "hassles" from the Mrs.  So I kindly suggested she go out of town for the weekend to hang out with some friends, and she obliged.  So this Saturday, the fun begins!  Can't wait.

I'm a little disappointed in reading Scott's comments about the removal of the Witch King's death though.  What's up with that?   :-\