Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2-1B
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:56 PM »
I went with POTF2 over 30AC 2-1B for these reasons on both Accuracy and Scale reasons.  I don't mind ROTS 2-1B but it is way way way too small and is a better representation of ROTS 2-1B than the ESB droid.  I do hope someday they upgrade to a SA ESB 2-1B but for now I am happy with both

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:08 PM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 02:06 PM »

Here is a pic of the actual prop...again note it against the POTF2 sculpt
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:09 PM by Scott »

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:29 PM »
One remarkable difference between vintage and potf2 2 1B is the engine inside the torso, not to mention the larger scale.

Hope if Hasbro release a new 2 1B, it comes with baton, diagnostic computer and light  effect colored eyes.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:49 PM »
As a kid I always loved to have 2-1B entertain the Rebel troops by popping the elvis mic out of it's socket so he could sing a little opera for the boys.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of that POTF2 2-1B. Far and away a better representation of that character than that shrinky-dink ROTS mold could ever be. Too bad we didn't get a new version by way of the Build-A-Droid pack-in over these past few years. I would have much preferred that in the ESB wave that the HK-50 repaint.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:59 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 10:52 PM »
For reals...all the POTF2 figure needs is articulated arms, the light up feature would be keen too

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Oh and I used to take off his mask and have him administor oxygen to Han or Luke during their battles and when they were hurt.  I always have had a soft spot for him for some reason, maybe because he was so empathetic in Empire

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 11:05 AM »
This is one we still need a "definitive" sculpt on. I think in a lot of ways the vintage version is better than the modern, save for the turquoise coloring.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I've always loved the Vinty 2-1B in my collection.  I don't know why, but it was maybe the deco and the clear belly...  Kenner seemed ahead of their time with that one.  I actually STILL include Vintage 2-1B figuers into my modern collection and customize them some.  They seem, to me, like a basic tool all hospitals would utilize, ya know?  And that there's be many models but they'd be slightly different, like cars, or astromechs.

It's rare a vintage figure still can find a home on a modern shelf I think.

The POTF2 2-1B was equally well liked by me, but I wouldn't mind a more poseable set of legs and arms of course.  ROTS looks too different for me to accept they're the same beast, so I've kept my POTF2's in circulation.  I loved his diagnostic accessory too.  Very cool.

Like very few other POTF2 figures, I still buy 2-1B's if I see them for cheap.  I nab them for $1 or $2 or so...  Paint them up in various decoes, and fill up scenes with them.  There was a sort of "receptionist" droid based on the 2-1B look in a video game too, and that always was a custom I wanted to do (and didn't).  Maybe time to bust out the paints.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Good calls on these since the 30 AC version is the one from ROTS...and a different droid thant the ESB version.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: July 2, 2010, 12:03 PM »
I still don't think they have gotten 2-1B right. I wouldnt mind seeing Hasbro try again at a vintage one.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline darthschroeder

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 2, 2010, 09:52 PM »
 I think the ESB and ROTS are very different droids too, so the POTF2 toy is a better likeness to our vintage doc.

That said, by objective standards the ROTS toy is MUCH better scaled.  It just is.  The ESB prop was 178 cm tall, per the "From Star Wars to Indy" book.  A truescale ESB droid should be 92.7mm.   

The POTF2 droid is about 104mm.  About 12% too large.  He's a great Wookie doctor.

The ROTS toy is about 91mm+ {depending how the legs are splayed}.  At most, it's 2% too small.

When Hasbro makes the uber-version, I expect {HOPE!} it to be about the same size as the ROTS version. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: July 3, 2010, 01:12 AM »
Holy shazbot, Doug Speaks!

And about the scale of a 2-1B droid. :)

Ah, the good old days.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77