Author Topic: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases  (Read 303286 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases
« Reply #585 on: November 28, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I saw a couple at TS TRU if you're that desperate, Ed.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 28, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Found a lone Black Endor Soldier at Wal-Mart when I randomly walked past the GI Joe section. Walked down to Star Wars and found tons of the Revenge variants (no Wave 9 though). Snagged the Rebel and two TIE Pilots, my first time seeing them.

Also snagged a Revenge Fett for a stupid reason: it's a VOTC 04 repack. My original had the rope thing around the right arm snap about a month after I bought it and I've wanted a new one ever since.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #587 on: November 28, 2011, 06:53 PM »

Ugh...I can never really feel desperate enough to shuffle through the Times Square foot traffic, but maybe I'll give it a shot. Are the prices still outrageous?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #588 on: November 28, 2011, 07:34 PM »
There is absolutely NOTHING hitting WM here except Vintage Wave 5...  at least right now.  Tons of Wave 6 not long ago, a little wave 4...  None of them are waves we need since I've seen all in abundance except Wave 7.

I saw Wave 7 once at WM, only a few new figs though from a case, and that was ages ago.  I've never seen any Wave 8 or 9 at Target or Wal-Mart...  I don't hit TRU ever anyway since I refuse to pay what they want since Kay Bee went out of business and they decided to take over the "we'll jack up prices even further" motto KB had.  I did see some wave 7 at Target, but that was very brief.

I'd like the black Endor Rebel and a TIE Pilot or two, but beyond that Wave 8 isn't even my cup of tea...  I've only seen Wave 9 at K-mart, and thank goodness for that.  People rail on KM, but I'm telling you, every year they come through when every other retailer fails.  Every year KM has a good sale or two, they get every wave of figures in at least once (Saw wave 7 at KM as well), and they're a store I'll always give money too so long as they're either running a good sale, or I have Rewards points to spend to ease their inflated pricing.

If TRU worked in any sort of similar fashion I'd probably be more willing to spend there as well.  To me though, their REwards Card is useless.  I never get coupons from them for anything but diapers and ****.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 28, 2011, 07:43 PM »

Are the prices still outrageous?

Yes. That's why I passed on one of the couple that were on the pegs. Though maybe they'll have a 2 for 1 sale again soon (I guess the current one goes up to figures that are regularly $8.99)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 28, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Jesse, I was surprised to see so much Wave 8 at WM... there are three particular WMs in my area. One hasn't restocked in forever, one got a bunch of Wave 5 before the Blu-Ray hit and recently got a bunch of Wave 4 (my first sighting of that wave at retail, actually). The one I was at today hasn't gotten anything since the millions of cases of Wave 5 in September but they had at least 4-5 cases of Wave 8.

Target is a mess and hasn't gotten anything new since Wave 7 first hit in July. Only new Hasbro toys I can find there are the Marvel Universe figures.

Same thoughts about TRU though, I rarely go there. However I get Rewards Emails almost every other day. Perhaps it's your settings? I turned off all the diapers/baby stuff and now I only get emails for TRU sales, not Babies R Us. Too bad there are maybe two K-Marts left in Texas, all in small towns way out west.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #591 on: November 28, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I thought that too, but I have that junk turned off and still get nothing.  Every reports getting $5 coupons...  I NEVER get them.  I signed the kids up for birthday stuff, and we only get one coupon ever even (they don't want it anyway so I take it, haha). 

TRU Is a sack of blah to me...  I really avoid them if I can.  I'd buy RFT's or Echo Troopers if I had a coupon, but absolutely nothing else unless it's exclusive to them.  At least at this stage of collecting.  Used to love TRU, but their prices disgust me.  hell, the prices in the line in general disgust me and I think they're way too much, but TRU is the worst offender now that KB's gone.  I used to not buy off them unless it was clearanced as well.  Piss on 'em.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 28, 2011, 09:55 PM »

Ugh...I can never really feel desperate enough to shuffle through the Times Square foot traffic, but maybe I'll give it a shot. Are the prices still outrageous?

TVC figures are normally $11.99 at the TS TRU.  I've rarely found anything there that was worth those inflated prices.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:55 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 29, 2011, 09:37 AM »
I think your mileage varies considerably with some of these stores geographically.

K-Mart is absolutely the WORST store by a million miles around here, I mean, they are just unbelievably bad. I work right across the street from one of their stores in a nice part of town and their SW section is a wasteland. They've had the same 5 cruddy figures loitering on their pegs for literally months.

We got plenty of Wave 9 in the Wallys here though, so I think it just depends on where you live.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 29, 2011, 10:39 AM »
On the other hand, K-Mart does have that thrift store smell. I think they pipe it in from Goodwill.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #595 on: November 29, 2011, 11:05 AM »
(I have been MIA for awhile on the boards so don not mind my return.)

Target
Black Endor Rebel x2
Fleet Trooper x3
Corrected Stormtrooper x2
Luke Taun-Taun (2nd one)

Wal-Mart
Echo Base Trooper (#4)
Zam Wessel
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #596 on: November 29, 2011, 11:45 AM »

TVC figures are normally $11.99 at the TS TRU.  I've rarely found anything there that was worth those inflated prices.

True, but you also get the pleasure of wading through the masses of slack-jawed tourists, comedy club ticket pushers and knock-off designer bag vendors just to get there and pay all that extra money.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 29, 2011, 11:48 AM »
That's the neighborhood.  But as the flagship store in the chain the Times Square store does get stocked reasonably well.  The crowds are part of that trade-off.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #598 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28 PM »
I think your mileage varies considerably with some of these stores geographically.

But that begs the age old question of whether you're ignoring them, and ultimately missing out on what they DO get in?

See KM doesn't get 30 cases of a wave, they generally get one...  and one sells fast here.  Especially these days.  My store has had the "same crummy figures" for eons too...  Some CW ones in particular have hung around for quite a while (and their CW section doesn't SEEM to be stocked as frequently).  But they've gotten in, and sold through, multiple cases of various waves for years and years...  Like I said, I've seen almost EVERY vintage wave at my nearest K-Mart.  I saw every 30AC wave there, every Legacy/BAD wave...  My next nearest I visit fairly often, and I've seen almost every wave there as well now, for years. 

The next furthest one I hit less frequently, but I see more or less the same thing...

Wal-Mart I'm sure will get something new here too, just they aren't right now and not everyone is swimming in wave 9 at WM is all.  Same with Target.  Eventually they'll get something new, but they're just a waste of time till that happens.  And when they do, they'll likely overorder any wave they get as well. 

It's hard to say if that's the case or not, but unless you're going to KM often (and if you're writing them off I assume you don't), I bet you've maybe missed one here and there.  My KM's not shangrila or anything...  It's a mess too, haha.  But they're getting stuff in, and around me nobody else is except maybe TRU.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 29, 2011, 01:37 PM »
Just got another black Endor rebel and TIE Pilot at TRU's 2 for 12.99 sale.

Then Clone Wars Armored Savage Opress and Chewbacca at Target.

Nice little lunchtime run.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda