Author Topic: Cable TV, Satellite TV, Internet TV... whatcha watchin'  (Read 5437 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Cable TV, Satellite TV, Internet TV... whatcha watchin'
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Well due to my dependency on DTV for the Sunday Ticket, I'm unlikely to change anytime soon. 

I can certainly appreciate that.  I initially switched to DirecTV when I was living in Harrisburg and the NFL decided Baltimore was the "local" team.  For a few years DirecTV was the only way to see half the Steeler games.  But eventually the fan revolt was successful, and I think in 2007/08 there were a grand total of TWO Steeler games that weren't broadcast, so I decided to drop Sunday Ticket and catch those two at bars.  I still kept DirecTV until I moved, though.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 08:41 PM »
It depends on if you have an HDTV or not.  DirecTV's HD is crap.  FiOS is gorgeous.  Normal broadcast DirecTV is fine... even though I did lose signal during heavy rain or snow.

I have HD and no problems at all.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 1, 2010, 07:08 AM »
If anyone wants to experience a completely horrible cable company check out mediacom.  They specialize in more rural areas.  Typically the cable or internet goes out at least once a week.  Also they are the only 800 number I have ever called and received a busy signal.  Everytime you call about an outage they tell you that there is no outage in your area and that at least three people have to report one before they can come out and do anything...a bit hard to do if you live in a rural area without a lot of people.  For all the comcast haters, you would beg to have comcast over mediacom.  I have both between two different houses and comcast is head and shoulders above mediacom.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: July 1, 2010, 03:32 PM »
The impression I got when looking for a TV last fall/Winter was that the TV had more to do with the quality than the provider, and the providers were more or less in a pissing match with each other. 

I got a great huge DLP in a deal before Christmas, and the picture's gorgeous.  It's the best hockey season ever for me, as far as game clarity.  I'm anxious for a full NFL season now with it.  Like I said, we're Comcast and everything's fantastic through it, and hardly ever any issues at all with all 3 services (and I live a very hilly/mountainy and rural area where trees are in lines and weather sucks).  I think if you're happy with your current service, stick with it.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 5, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I've switched from Directv to FIOS. The HD is fantastic! Much better than Directv. I also enjoy super fast fiber internet connection. 25x faster than DSL can't be beat. It's a trip to download 500mb in 10 seconds.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #20 on: July 5, 2010, 06:09 PM »
People watching TV in online-only format (e.g. cord-cutters) holding steady at about 4% of US population: http://bit.ly/daLZoj

I've been essentially cordless for three and a half months, when I moved out of my parents' place. Being technologically-savvy young lads, my roommate and I didn't see the need to pay for cable when both of us watch everything we want online (Hulu, Netflix streaming, etc.)

The only thing I miss is the news/current events, but I try to catch that when I drop by my parents'.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 5, 2010, 06:57 PM »
There have been rumors that Hulu would start charging for their content.  But they do have a pretty amazing service.  As for news, most of the major networks are putting their content on the web.  You just have to wait until after the broadcasts because they air those spots on the broadcast networks before they offer them on the web.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 6, 2010, 02:54 PM »
I was so excited to check out Hulu until I found out they can't provide content to Canada.  :(

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 6, 2010, 03:56 PM »
I was so excited to check out Hulu until I found out they can't provide content to Canada.  :(

I was traveling in Germany last fall for business and found myself having problems sleeping.  So I figured, I'd take advantage of the time and try to watch a couple shows I'd missed on ABC.com and/or Hulu.  I discovered then that apparently, even if I log in through a US based VPN, they still don't broadcast that content outside the US.  So I stared at the ceiling instead.