Author Topic: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!  (Read 259952 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!
« Reply #690 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16 AM »
Definitely bull...  It has nothing to do with sale prices.  It's a competitor's coupon, which they accept, and which is a totally different thing.  The thing they cited to you was like TRU's B1G1 50% off...  If it's not a specific set price (IE: The sale doesn't say SW figures for $5 a piece or whatnot) then they won't accept it.

But coupons are a whole other deal since they do accept "competitor's coupons".  I made sure to even say, "You accept competitor's coupons, right?", to the checkout person.  They called management, explained what they had to him, and the only thing thye questioned was the % off being so much, but the manager said that 50% was fine, they just had to make sure the coupon was for what it said it was for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 28, 2012, 02:10 PM »
That's what I thought too, Jesse- so I called a different store's customer service (and not to make a judgment call on intelligence from one short conversation with 2 different employees, but the second one was very articulate) and she outlined the policy for me before I even told her the scenario.  Sure enough, she said percentage coupons are not accepted at WM by rule- what is accepted are coupons that have a dollar amount "off", or a dollar amount given (like $5.99 figures).  Small distinction, but I do see it.  So, either your store allowed it due to the employee not knowing the intricacies of the rule, or there is a different rule for different stores (which is unlikely I guess).  Possible my store's employee added that rule to the coupon policy- I guess we'll know more as others try it!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline ZevZev

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 28, 2012, 02:21 PM »
It's on their website coupon policy. No % off coupons from competitors. Jesse got lucky.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #693 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Wow that sucks.  Seriously, if your'e going to price match, just do it...  Don't put all the fine print in there.  I guess it's partly to protect themselves incase a competitor has a distinctly higher price, but in general that's not been common throughout the years of collecting.

It's funny that, at my store, a manager even said the % off didn't matter, so long as the product matched the coupon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37 PM »
I just went to TRU and made two separate purchases and the gave me 4-5 coupons with each transaction.  As stated before, 2-3 of the coupons were for baby stuff.  the other coupons were:

$5 off $25 4/13/12 - 4/23/12
and
$5 off $25 4/24/12 - 5/3/12

Offline jedi_shadow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 29, 2012, 01:01 AM »
It's on their website coupon policy. No % off coupons from competitors. Jesse got lucky.

I stopped and tried to use one at a walmart.  At first, the 2 cashiers said no to accepting a competitor coupon but then I pointed to a sign at the register saying walmart accepts competitor's coupons lol.  But the fine print did say it needed a specific price on the coupon and not a % off.  Yup Jesse got lucky.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 30, 2012, 03:15 PM »
I stopped by TRU over lunch and noticed they are running another Buy One Get One Half Price on all SW figures, playsets, and vehicles. Good for today and tomorrow only. (Fri & Sat, 3/30-3/31)

Absolutely nothing there worth buying though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:16 PM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 30, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I stopped by TRU over lunch and noticed they are running another Buy One Get One Half Price on all SW figures, playsets, and vehicles. Good for today and tomorrow only. (Fri & Sat, 3/30-3/31)

They are running that too often.  I thought they already had this deal all this week.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 30, 2012, 06:48 PM »

They are running that too often.  I thought they already had this deal all this week.

At least with figures. I didn't check vehicles and playsets.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37 PM »
I took advantage of the sale today and picked up a couple of Battle Droids.  But when it all rang up, it ammounted to buy one, get one free.  The 2 Battle Droids plus the Pod Racer pack ($19.99) came to $32 and change after tax.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 30, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Nice, Nick!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 2, 2012, 07:44 AM »
tru.com has it 1 day only cyber sale with the BOGO 50% off. 3 of the BluRay figures (Lando, MonCal and Cracken), but they are now at $10.99.  :(

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 2, 2012, 09:34 AM »
I ended up buying two of the deluxe figure things at half off, pretty sure they were the droid with stap or whatever vehicle it is, to exchange at a a later date with sets I may actually want. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #703 on: April 2, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Something I found interesting of late is the figure piles at 5 Below around me, and which ones sell out first.

On one hand, I'm not surprised, but on the other hand this flies in the face of "That figure sucks" being the stigma stuck to it.

So basically they got vinty figures dumped on them and they're $5 a pop (for those of you without these stores in your area, I have no clue where all they are in the country).  Out of all the figures they got, the first one to sell out, always, is the...

...drum roll....

Sandtrooper.

Yes, even yellowing ones.  At $5 a pop, I guess suddenly the discoloration doesn't mean jack. ;)  Seriously though guys, I'm not being a dick, I'm just pointing out that I think it's much MUCH more the price of figures today that hurt the sale of Clones/Stormtroopers, than it was that discoloration.

I thought that sucked too, I'm not going to say I was ok with it really.  But I think the vast majority of people are obviously a LOT more forgiving when figures don't cost as much, and thus price is a much larger factor in a figure selling or not selling.  Oddly, right behind the Sandtrooper I see fewer of the Jedi hitting with him.  They're really good, so I guess I'm not surprised, but they're not the best figures in the pile.  Even Fugee Amidala is a steal at $5 though.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 3, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Yeah, price makes people more forgiving. I got some CW Mandalorian guards for cheap from overseas. They still suck but were almost not sucky at around $2 each.  :-\

I was surprised to learn their are 5 Below stores in this state...but given gas prices, by the time I drove to one, the figures probably wouldn't be worth it. It's all AOTC waves, isn't it?