Author Topic: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!  (Read 259098 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!
« Reply #960 on: December 23, 2012, 06:55 PM »
the Naboo pilot is the super steal at $2.64 a pop
also the senate Guard is $4.57
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:56 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 24, 2012, 08:59 AM »
I ordered another $55 in figures using Jeff's JD link above.  Mo' savings for me and mo' savings for JD.  Thanks for the head's up on pricing!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #962 on: December 24, 2012, 12:59 PM »
I think this board needs a spell chekr.   :-[

Yeah,

I try to log on at work from time to time and fly through about 3 or 4 sites, and blast as many posts as I can in a short amount of time.  unfortunately, my PC at work is crap, runs extremely slow, sticks, an often I just hit send.  If I went back and spellchecked everything I'd be here all freakin day.  Pain in the @.

Side note.. I was able to snag a Darth Vader supreme costume this weekend for $300. I thought it was a steal, and usually can't find one under $400 on ebay!  Should look good in the collection room once I get a mannequin for it.  I'll need one that's at least 6'2"  I'd like to have it in one corner and my vintage ROTJ arcade game  in the opposite corner.  Might motivate me to get the arcade games out of the garage.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #963 on: December 27, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Hey, at least your work puter lets you still log in.  :)  That's quickly fading away at a lot of places, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #964 on: December 28, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Word on the street from Jedi Temple Archives was that the WM Exclusive Wave of figures were found at 5Below which is pretty awesome.  Good figures in that wave for sure.  I'd like to see more Vintage, but WM TPM Wave had a lot of good army builders between the pilots and the Gungan and Destroyer Droid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 29, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Tusken Raider, even with the swivel elbows, ain't bad.

I never got any of those figures. I knew they'd be blown out some day.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 9, 2013, 10:00 PM »
I found (and purchased) seven of the Wal-Mart DTF figures at Five Below. I got a Gungan, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Naboo Pilot for myself, and the R5 and Destroyer Droid for trades or resale or something... I was hoping to find a Maul but no luck. Hopefully they restock for Valentines or Easter. Even though the figures have been widely available it's very hard to beat the prices.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 9, 2013, 10:06 PM »
4 trips since Xmas and I've found nothing. I feel cheated, because I think they won't get the gamorrean guard wave at all and i've wasted gas.

Remember when there were great after Xmas clearances? There's nothing out there. Not here. You wouldn't know it was after Christmas time at all!
« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 10:06 PM by scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #968 on: January 9, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Don't look for the "big bin".  Mine were all hanging on a few pegs in the back, which is where the post-xmas figs go.  A lot of it winds up in their stock rooms too.  Last year there were cases upon cases of Vinty AOTC wave sitting sealed in the back of my local 5 Below.

I'm sure my local one has some more cases of WM wave and Vinty hanging around, and they may get a new display for Easter or something, but I'd say the big bin o crap is done for a little while.  Hopefully not though.

Mine had maybe one case of WM wave out.  I saw all but the generic Naboo Pilot.  I'm not hopeful of finding many Gammies now, but I'm hopeful of finding more.  They seem to be hooked on SW swag.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 10, 2013, 08:33 AM »
I agree, the lack of post-holiday clearancing is really lackluster compared to years' past. Walmart has the MTT on markdown, and the Class I sets for $8, not sure what they are doing with the midsize stuff. And Target has the Darth Maul pack for 50% off, but that's about it.

I think this is a direct result of Hasbro's waffling on a plan for 2013. If they could just confirm they will be shipping new Clone Wars product soon, for example, stores could start blowing out those godawful Wave 1 pegwarmers. But because no one knows what is happening, we're stuck in limbo.

I really feel like at this point that everything in the Darth Maul packaging should be immediately clearanced.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 10, 2013, 11:00 AM »
4 trips since Xmas and I've found nothing. I feel cheated, because I think they won't get the gamorrean guard wave at all and i've wasted gas.

Remember when there were great after Xmas clearances? There's nothing out there. Not here. You wouldn't know it was after Christmas time at all!

Um, "cheated" is not having any 5 Below stores within 250 miles.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 10, 2013, 03:37 PM »

Um, "cheated" is not having any 5 Below stores within 250 miles.   ;)

That's just more "cheated". In the past I felt the same about Ollies (there is one in driving distance now), Fred Meyer,  Ross (especially Ross) etc...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #972 on: January 10, 2013, 04:30 PM »
I feel that way about Meijers and all those midwest stores that seemed to sell stuff cheaper than any other retailer.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 17, 2013, 09:33 PM »
The special collectors 3-packs are being clearanced at Target.

And if you are certain person at another website, that's an excuse to vent at supposedly cheapskate collectors, because, blah, blah...these sets were so good or something that they shouldn't have made it to clearance (even though the earlier ones did).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #974 on: January 17, 2013, 09:59 PM »
These sets were ok...  neat...  better than some stuff...  They were still 2 figures I had, and one I didn't.  They were ok sets.  Better than a lot of last year's sets.

I got some of those for $7 though, even at a toy show, so yeah...  I think that says a lot about the whole idea.  Multi-packs work better when you're getting more for less I think.  The K-Mart 2-packs gave you something quasi-new and for $15.  That's the mark.  The Target sets gave you a new figure, and 2 you didn't want, for a bit more than $15.

You can argue that the 2 you didn't want balanced things out, or you could argue that you got 2 figures you didn't want to get one you did want, and thus felt cheated out of more money.

On waiting for clearance, to me that's a gamble and a personal choice...  You have to accept that, should you take that gamble, you're leaving yourself open to missing out and going secondary market on them.  I personally didn't need to wait because I lucked into an uber cheap set courtesy of a West Coast buddy that got them at clearance prices upon release...  I was lucky in that, and I know it.

That said, while the Snaggletooth set sold better, it didn't sell great, and that just speaks volumes about these I think.  They're a nice enough concept but they're like so much in this hobby in that they're overpriced even with a new figure in them.  At clearance prices I may nab 1 more of each for customizing, but only on clearance and I'll take the gamble on the droid set going lower.

You can't point fingers at collectors for waiting though.  That's simply economics of whatever is right or wrong with the hobby.  $15 AT-ST Driver sets sold.  $22-ish 3-packs with only 1 new figure didn't.  MTT's sold at $60-ish and Clone Shuttles didn't even sell out down to $20 or less since Amazon still has 'em and they went under $16 shipped a year ago.  It's a gamble to wait but it can really pay off because ultimately the market dictates it on SO MUCH of the stuff we get.

I LOVED the 1:18 airplanes Wal-Mart carried, but so many came out so rapidly, and they hit clearance...  and they were only like $50-$60!  A steal for a hyper detalied basically huge model/toy.  Markets said it was too much though, despite my opinion to the contrary.  It is what it is.

Of course, now they're almost all fetching double or more their original retail, but I digress.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:36 AM by Jesse James »