Author Topic: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!  (Read 260012 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2010, 09:09 PM »
I haven't grasped TRU's thinking on the vintage line from the get-go, I'm just glad other stores haven't thought it was good business.  I don't have a TRU near me for 45 minutes any direction, so I don't shop with them often anyway, unless it's out of necessity or I am in the area for other reasons. 

I hate when any form of competition goes away, but what they're doing is stupid and and you can't blame people for not paying those prices.  I'm curious if prices will drop once the holidays wrap up, or what?  I would've thought that they'd have dropped the $9.99 price though, by now.  When I am at a TRU, they're always packed with the same stuff and never much new.

They've had cool sales though...  So it's like K-Mart, though that's sort of insulting to K-Mart who are more reasonably priced by comparison.  But they do sales, and sometimes that makes up the difference.  TRU hasn't done much with vintage though, so even that argument has holes in it I guess.

I did buy some battlepacks though, and 2-fer's for donation, so TRU has done some smart stuff...  The price jack just doesn't seem like good business to me, but whatever.

I just know I passed on vintage for a long time at TRU till I saw them at other stores, and while I didn't get the newest immediately while others were getting stuff, I don't regret the decision at all, especially now that I look back.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I have no clue what I'm talking about, but maybe Hasbro charged them more per case to "allow them" to sell vintage first before the other 2 retailers?  Or maybe some beanhead at TRU corp thought these were supposed to include the clamshells like the past vintage so that's why they're so much more expensive then Target/WM?  I know they got "stuck" with the Legacy EU wave, but that came and went within a month and sold through extremely well.

I don't really care either way, but just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:35 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2010, 08:07 AM »
I saw this price hike yesterday morning as well and of course my first reaction was WTF?!?!?

They also increased the price on the Clone Wars Deluxe sets to $21.99  :o

That's just insanity - two years ago, the going rate for the assault vehicle assortment was $19.99, now the mini-rig vehicle w/figure class which used to sell for $9.99 when the line first started in 1995 now sells for MORE than twice that.

I think this is a last minute cash grab on the part of Toys R Us in the hopes that Target and WalMart stores are going to already be wiped out and the only place parents will be able to turn is to TRU.

Of course, if that is the thinking, they really should have sent out some folks to the Target and WalMart stores in NJ to see if that was indeed the case - there's a WalMart by me that finally got in that aisle display for Star Wars figures - and it was LOADED with the Cato/Vos wave - and the figures were selling at $6 a piece!!!

So much for stopping into TRU between now and Xmas.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2010, 08:38 AM »
No more TRU runs for me in the forseeable future.   ::)

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2010, 08:57 AM »
I guess that's retail for ya. they mark UP the regular price so when they have a "sale" it equals out to what everyone else's regular price is. It's tough times all around and if/when the stuff sits cause no one wants or can afford to pay that.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2010, 09:11 AM »
HTS deal of the day isn't too shabby.  Free Boba Fett blaster with purchase of Boba Fett Helmet

$31.49 (after "SW2010" code) for both + tax + free shipping = not bad at all in my book.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:18 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Just saw the flier, another friday-saturday (17th and 18th) sale at Toys R Us. Star Wars Clone Wars and Legends are Two for $9.99 again (that's funny with the price hike!).

Also, VINTAGE will be on sale for $7.99. Oh, wow.  ::)

Not sure I'll make the trip, last few times they had nothing of interest, beyond the same old army builders that I'd rather go after loose on ebay.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2010, 04:47 PM »
What a bunch of bastards.  ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Didn't someone even say, "Watch them jack the price up just to 'put them on sale' right away" or something?  That seemed spot-on.

Then they do the happy dance like they're doing people favors.  It's a really shady practice to jack prices up, then advertise something as a sale afterwards, but it happens I guess.  At least the sale puts things to the MSRP they should've been at the whole year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2010, 11:42 PM »
That is what they did with the BMF and the AT-AT.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2010, 12:28 PM »
I have no clue what I'm talking about, but maybe Hasbro charged them more per case to "allow them" to sell vintage first before the other 2 retailers?  Or maybe some beanhead at TRU corp thought these were supposed to include the clamshells like the past vintage so that's why they're so much more expensive then Target/WM?  I know they got "stuck" with the Legacy EU wave, but that came and went within a month and sold through extremely well.

I don't really care either way, but just my 2 cents...

There are actually laws in place that prevent manufacturers from offering different case prices to different retailers.  If TRU gets a case of figures for $36, then that is what Target pays for it as well.  Manufacturers have trade funds that they can use to either buy promotions or buy down the everyday price at retail, and those can differ by retailers.  Maybe Hasbro is using trade dollars to move the everyday price down to $6 at Target.  Still doesn't explain how TRU price shoots up from $8 to $11 - that is them trying to take more margin on the figures.  I could buy a match to VOTC if this was the first wave of vintage, but they've been selling at $8 for several months now.  I'm guessing the $11 won't last long - they aren't going to sell jack at that price.

Mike - did you mention the Target exclusive 2-packs are on sale this week?  Do you know how much they're running?  Thanks!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2010, 03:38 PM »
The only way TRU will sell figures at that price is if that's the only place you can find them...even then it's a bit iffy.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Mike - did you mention the Target exclusive 2-packs are on sale this week?  Do you know how much they're running?  Thanks!

Check our "reality" thread.   ;)  Pretty sure they've been that price for a couple of weeks unless I'm running a fever...oh ok $12.99
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41 AM »
As per our front page, Hasbro are doing another Redemption promotion, but it only lasts 12/25 - 1/31.  Spend $20 (before tax/shipping charges) and get a freebie.  The Star Wars item most appealing on the list is the Deluxe Figure/Vehicle set.

They had a lot of items to choose from, and if you are like me and spend a lot, this is a sharp way to get some toys to donate, or some items for your kids or whatnot.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2010, 06:20 AM »
As per our front page, Hasbro are doing another Redemption promotion, but it only lasts 12/25 - 1/31.  Spend $20 (before tax/shipping charges) and get a freebie.  The Star Wars item most appealing on the list is the Deluxe Figure/Vehicle set.

They had a lot of items to choose from, and if you are like me and spend a lot, this is a sharp way to get some toys to donate, or some items for your kids or whatnot.

Yeah, least you go into it expecting a Cad Bane bike, Anakin w/ Naboo ship, Obi-Wan w/ speeder or Plo Koon w/ speeder. Anyone who sees otherwise will have won the lottery.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise