Author Topic: Walmart "New" TIE Bomber  (Read 33156 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart "New" TIE Bomber
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I've seen a few of these now, and Jabbas everywhere... and for the $38 price tag, this thing is a ripoff.  At least it is if you compare it to the Jabba set or the Target Hoth sets.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 02:40 PM »
How much was the Tie Bomber at Target a couple years back - $30?   I don't remember...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 02:57 PM »
I've seen a few of these now, and Jabbas everywhere... and for the $38 price tag, this thing is a ripoff.  At least it is if you compare it to the Jabba set or the Target Hoth sets.

Well, in my area, only one out of 10 WalMarts was selected to carry Jabba - so getting Jabba was a complete pain.

Do you have any WalMarts that didn't get Jabba that have TIE Bombers? My concern is that only the same WMs that got Jabbas are getting TIE Bombers...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 03:15 PM »
None of the TIE Bombers are showing up around here at all, but there are plenty of Jabbas to be had. Go figure.  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I've not noticed a bomber yet, but Jabbas are around now.  I'd say 50% of stores have them, though I'd say 75%-ish of stores got them in and just a number sold through.

I'd like the bomber, butI'm not breaking my back finding it either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35 PM »

Well, in my area, only one out of 10 WalMarts was selected to carry Jabba - so getting Jabba was a complete pain.

Do you have any WalMarts that didn't get Jabba that have TIE Bombers? My concern is that only the same WMs that got Jabbas are getting TIE Bombers...

Yeah, I know it varies from region to region, which makes it painful for some people to find these. 

In the St. Louis area, I hit 5 different Wal-Marts somewhat frequently.  A couple stores just once per month, if that.  But I've seen Jabbas at each store, and the ones I hit more often have sold through, then restocked.

As for the bomber, I've seen it at two different Wal-Marts so far.  One of them has a couple Jabbas left, the other did last week but seems to have sold through again.

Also, a collector at Yakface posted a pic here that could indicate stores will be getting in quite a few bombers for the holiday retail push.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 11:45 PM »

My local WM has a dozen or so TIEs, and never received Jabba and probably never will. I don't know why this expensive rehash is so much better stocked than Jabba.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 12:40 AM »
WM is so inconsistent. Jabba, impossible to find. TIE Bomber, no problem.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26 AM »
funny, when I went to WM last night they had 2 Jabbas and no bombers...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys - hopefully, one of my local WMs will start to have these soon....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 08:10 PM »
My WM's have a number of Jabba's too.  They're selling, but October and early November saw a number of them show up at just about every Wal-Mart...  Christmas shopping is selling them through though, if I had to guess.

No TIE Bombers here, yet.  Probably the next week or two.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Saw this for the first time here locally tonight at the last of 4 Walmarts I hit up today. They only had one on the shelf, no price tag, slightly crushed corner. Kind of an underwhelming debut. Sure they will start to hit more in force next week.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 11:26 PM »

Jabba part 2?

If by that you mean they're all up in Canada, then yes.  All six of my Wally's have about a dozen each.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Found these in Central California yesterday - the four Fresno-area Wal Marts had nothing, but the rural Sanger store had six of them.  I picked one up and like it.  It is a new tooling from the older TIE Bombers, but the tooling is not significantly different in appearance.  The cockpit has definitely been changed with the ejection seat and new control column.  That probably wasn't necessary given the detailed cockpit on the original tooling, but now the cockpit "matches" the retooled TIE Interceptor and TIE Fighter better.  The bomb-dropping mechanism has been improved as one now loads six bombs into a magazine and twists the rear of the pod to drop the bombs.   The magazine has a sliding hatch to keep the bombs from falling out.  The missile clicks into the port in the front of the ordinance pod, protruding slightly. 

My biggest beef is no pilot figure, but its a good ship overall.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I picked up two of these yesterday and overall I like them. tmanthegreat  summed this up but I want to add some more detail to the description. The tooling is actually the same, Hasbro just slightly modified the tooling on one side with some new internal tooling. (It costs about $5-7k to alter a tool) They altered the bombing side of the vehicle to shoot a front missile,  hold 6 bombs plus has a nifty slide hatch so they do not fall out. They retooled the interior floor plate of the cockpit which was a separate tool in the last model and added the spring loaded missile launcher and rotating bomb dropper. They reused the same newer ejecting chair tool from the recent TRU Interceptor/ Target White Wing Tie. So they really did refresh this a lot.

The blue color is really nice and looks very accurate. However it does not match any previous Imperial ships. I like my fleet to match so
I really hope they match this color when they get around to releasing the Big Wing Tie in blue with the new tooling. (Imperial Officer also suffer from this problem as they sport a variety grays.

My only two complaints is that they did not paint the rear thrusters like the previous versions. (It suffers from what other modern vehicles suffer from - lack of deco) This is also overpriced and really should have came with a pilot as tmanthegreat pointed out. This is one vehicle they reallt did not need a refresh but what they did is pretty cool.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/