Author Topic: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 67662 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Cap's black, and now Thor's a woman.  I honestly haven't enjoyed Marvel comics as much the last few years, so this is looking like a great stepping off point for me.  Utterly ridiculous that Marvel feels the need to pull stunts like this in place of anything remotely resembling character development. 

I actually loved a lot of the 80s stories, so have kept my subs going in the hopes of reconnecting with some of those great memories.  Billionaire Tony Stark defeating so many enemies only to slowly fall victim to the bottle, then rebuild his life and reclaim his armor?  Brilliant.  The original Secret Wars?  The Infinity Gauntlet?  Thor getting wounded and growing a beard?  Symbiote Spiderman/Venom?  These were classic character driven stories.  Marvel's shifted the players and copied some of the circumstances, but without any of the life or meaning behind them.  What a shame.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2014, 06:25 PM »
A number of these things do seem like blatant marketing gimmicks.  But then the landscape for SO MUCH media has changed over the last 10 years.  It is so difficult to grab the attention of an audience, let alone maintain it.  I think Marvel is proactively trying to engage the audience with these changes.  They've done big things like this before, like when they launched the Ultimates Universe.  And you know what?  The Thor news was such a big deal that it made the papers and major news casts.  I think the marketing execs would take that as a WIN in their book.

And comics fans are well aware that this isn't the first time we've seen Marvel do things like this with their iconic characters.  Steve Rogers has handed off the Cap mantle before.  I remember when he got fired as Captain America, and was replaced by the guy who would later become the US Agent.  Then there was the assassination of Cap, too.  Plus, the powers of Thor have been passed on to Beta Ray Bill, as well as the Thor Frog before.  So why not a woman now?  Those things alone show us that the characters aren't necessarily sacred even to Marvel.  And at some point they'll probably come around with the re-birth or re-launch of the classic character as everyone knows them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:34 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2014, 07:00 AM »
Cap's black, and now Thor's a woman.  I honestly haven't enjoyed Marvel comics as much the last few years, so this is looking like a great stepping off point for me.  Utterly ridiculous that Marvel feels the need to pull stunts like this in place of anything remotely resembling character development. 

I actually loved a lot of the 80s stories, so have kept my subs going in the hopes of reconnecting with some of those great memories.  Billionaire Tony Stark defeating so many enemies only to slowly fall victim to the bottle, then rebuild his life and reclaim his armor?  Brilliant.  The original Secret Wars?  The Infinity Gauntlet?  Thor getting wounded and growing a beard?  Symbiote Spiderman/Venom?  These were classic character driven stories.  Marvel's shifted the players and copied some of the circumstances, but without any of the life or meaning behind them.  What a shame.

I would call the Thor thing a stunt.  The Captain America is just a retread of what they have done in the past.  They already did it with Bucky.  This time they just seem to be ripping off the Batman Beyond thing, but using an established character instead of a new one.  Falcon becomes Cap and Cap sits in the "batcave" and helps Falcon over the headset.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2014, 09:38 AM »
What amazes me is stuff like this gets play in the press at all.  I don't remember hearing about Beta Ray Bill on the evening news back in the day.  I wonder if it's  the PR hand of Disney, or because geek culture is dominant these days.

There's no doubt both these moves are temporary.  Just like Cap's death.  Just like Superior Spider-Man.  Just like each replacement Cap, Thor and Iron Man.  So I don't understand why it's such a big deal.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2014, 10:39 AM »
It's got to be because the Marvel Cinematic Universe has brought this all into the mainstream since the movies have been wildly successful.  The new issue of EW has an Avengers - Age of Ultron cover story, and that movie doesn't come out for another 10 months!  That article touted the box office for the MCU as being somewhere in the neighborhood of $6 billion.  So while Marvel Comics may go in different directions story-wise, news about those characters that are part of the MCU can mean big business.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Rumor has it that Captain America 3 will include an appearance from Hawkeye.  Nothing definitive yet, as the Russo brothers are still working up the script for the next installment.

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Minor spoiler that'll be spoiled with the first trailer...

Iron Man joining Cap 3

Everyone's saying Cap3 =Civil War now.  And I gotta say that pleases me a whole lot more than Cap3 = Fallen Son.  I don't think temporary death will translate well to the movie-verse, even as a tool to swap actors.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2014, 08:41 AM »
I'm not really familiar with the storyline, but am happy to hear that there will be a very familiar MCU character in the movie along with Cap.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2014, 08:47 AM »
In the comics, the government required people with superpowers to register.  Half the heroes were in favor.  Half were opposed.  And they battled across various books.  This was the arc where Spidey took off his mask.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57 AM »
I seriously wish that all the Marvel Universe characters were in the same movie studios.  I know it will never happen, but I would love to see Spidey and the X-Men together with the Avengers...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2014, 01:57 PM »
I seriously wish that all the Marvel Universe characters were in the same movie studios.  I know it will never happen, but I would love to see Spidey and the X-Men together with the Avengers...

There's actually rumors going around that Sony and Marvel are trying to work out a deal to get Spidey in the MCU.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2014, 06:17 AM »
In the comics, the government required people with superpowers to register.  Half the heroes were in favor.  Half were opposed.  And they battled across various books.  This was the arc where Spidey took off his mask.

Heh, this would be the shortest movie ever then. Everybody knows Tony Stark is Iron Man, Captain America has his own Smithsonian exhibit, and didn't Black Widow release all of SHIELD's information online?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2014, 07:12 AM »

Heh, this would be the shortest movie ever then. Everybody knows Tony Stark is Iron Man, Captain America has his own Smithsonian exhibit, and didn't Black Widow release all of SHIELD's information online?
I thought the exact same thing.  However, it does play into the themes of personal freedom that were the core of CA:TWS. 

This also make the idea of Spidey appearing in the MCU make more sense.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Yeah, in a world without secret identities, the focus of Civil War would need to change quite a bit.  Not just registration, but submission to government monitoring or something.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 15, 2014, 09:20 AM »
I didn't read the Civil War series, but I understand the gyst of it.  Still,in the MCU, secret identities seem to have gotten thrown out the window.  Thor seems to be Thor all the time.  Cap's identity isn't secret and he hasn't really made a point of keeping the mask on at all times.  Tony Stark made his own public declaration at the end of the first Iron Man.  And Black Widow was outed publically at the end of "Winter Soldier".

I can see that there's the potential for the US government to want to get these super powered individuals under their control.  It looks like the first bits of that are already beginning to play out on Agents of SHIELD with the conflict between SHIELD and General Talbot's unit.  Factions like Talbot's within the military seem to be seeking to fill the void left by the destruction of SHIELD as an organization.

The thing is...  I don't know if I can see either Cap or Iron Man in the MCU taking sides against one another.  Their relationship has certainly been tense, but seems to have grown.  And both of them have encountered government forces in MCU films that would leave them skeptical about some sort of government registration.  But then we do have the events of Avengers - Age of Ultron set to take place, and no doubt that's going to shape the big picture storyline heading into Captain America 3.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:20 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback