Author Topic: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 67400 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #195 on: April 6, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Saw it this afternoon, and loved it.  I agree with others who place it among the top of the MCU list, if not the top.  One of my favorites for sure, and I can't wait to see it again.  Non-stop action, a great story, and the cast was good all around I thought.  Just, so good.  Won't get spoilery here, but it definitely does change things up for the Marvel Universe, both movie and television.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #196 on: April 6, 2014, 09:00 PM »
10 out of 10 'nuff said

Loved the Pulp Fiction Easter Egg at the end

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 7, 2014, 12:43 AM »
Saw Cap 2 this afternoon. Holy kak! fricke'n awesome & it had a ton of easter eggs in it. Also picked up the Captain America exclusive theater action figure, had to get it.  :-*

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 7, 2014, 07:42 AM »
What? Is this sold in the theater???  Which ones?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 7, 2014, 08:54 AM »
This movie was really, REALLY awesome.  If there was one nit to pick, I'd say it would be that with all this crap going down (particularly when the helicarriers take off and start shooting), Stark was conspicuous by his absence.  If this were the comics, there would likely be an asterisk with a note saying "This takes place at the same time as IM3" which would explain it.  They just need to do a tiny bit more in tying in the chronology.

This completely changes the AoS series.  Can't wait to see how they develop that.  The tie-ins there were pretty cool.  Cap and Falcon had good chemistry.

Stephen Strange?  Awesome. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 7, 2014, 09:08 AM »

Odeon theater Canadian exclusive. $20. It's has no articulation, just solid plastic. Theaters around the globe had various exclusives, drink coasters, 3D glasses sets etc...  When I got my popcorn & such, I picked up a drink cup with 2 toppers Cpt. America with shield & grabbed the shield topper key chain.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 7, 2014, 09:35 AM »

Odeon theater Canadian exclusive. $20. It's has no articulation, just solid plastic. Theaters around the globe had various exclusives, drink coasters, 3D glasses sets etc...  When I got my popcorn & such, I picked up a drink cup with 2 toppers Cpt. America with shield & grabbed the shield topper key chain.

Thanks.  My OCD classifies non articulated figures as statues, giving me the freedom to breath easy again.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 9, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Saw it today.  Was pretty intense and cool.  Wow!  There are a few things I'm going to have to look up since I'm not familiar with the comics.

Best line:  "Shall we play a game?"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2014, 09:16 AM »
Caught the movie last night.  I really liked the first Captain America, but I have to say that this one was really good!  It had such a different tone from the first movie, but I think it works since the new film is set in modern times.

Cap still seems like a man out of time.  The music coming from his apartment said that instantly.  And his references definitely say that clearly too, although he seems very much like he's working to get himself caught up on everything he's missed.  The fact that he's keeping a list is a nod to his earnestness.

His working relationship with the Black Widow has been interesting.  Clearly, there are trust issues between the two of them.  But I think the story arc definitely works toward building the trust between the two of them.  And I think that comes about most when Widow exposes herself and her past to the whole world.

Truth be told, I was actually expecting something different from Falcon.  For some reason I thought that his backstory was going to be similar to Black Widow and Hawkeye, and that he was another SHIELD agent.  It was actually a little refreshing to see that this wasn't the case.  And I think he and Cap developed a good friendship based on their shared experience as veterans.

Fury was finally able to show just how much of a badass he is.  The chase through DC was great, as were the fight sequences.  And he was able to show that he is the master spy in the process.  It's only been hinted at before, but here we finally got to see him in action.

Some of the villain appearances were awesome.  GSP as Batroc was actually pretty awesome.  And his fight with Cap was better than I thought it was going to be.  Brock Rumlow as a SHIELD strike agent was a nice nod to the comics.  There were really only hints at him and his future, but very cool ones.  And the way that Arnim Zola was realized was very cool.  I knew a little bit about his comic character and I think the way he was captured for this film was great.  It built on the story from the first film and also tied in with how history played out after WWII.  And then the twist that Zola was part of a Hydra infiltration into SHIELD that was 70 years in the making?  WHOA.

The museum exhibit was a nice nod to Cap's past, but it had to be very odd for him to actually see it.  I understood why he went though, because it was something that could help him remember and honor his friends.  But it also showed his vulnerability and loyalty to his friend, and that wound up being a weakness for him as he fought Bucky/Winter Soldier.  The fact that his fight with the Winter Soldier remained unresolved was great.  And I'm interested to see where the story continues to go.

One of the things I liked most of all about the movie is that the plot was topical.  The whole thing really revolved around the concepts of personal privacy and freedoms that are playing out in the political arena right now. 

As for the stinger scenes?  Wow.  Baron Von Strucker?!?!?!  I think they nailed him, right down to the monocle.  And his captives?  It's nice to get that first glimpse of Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Forgot to mention: one of my favorite things was the rogues' gallery they cast as the "World Council":

Evil Widmore from LOST
The Indian dude from the subway station in The Matrix
The hot chick from American Werewolf in London

Well played!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Don't forget Lau from The Dark Knight!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Forgot to mention: one of my favorite things was the rogues' gallery they cast as the "World Council":

Evil Widmore from LOST

Well played!

Actually Jenny Agutter was a member of the World Security Council in Avengers as well - so it was nice to see that level of continuity.

What I was wondering is whether or not the "in shadows" council member played by Powers Boothe in Avengers - was that supposed to be the character that eventually became Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) in CA2? Or a totally different character? And if a different character, he seemed to be the head of the council in Avengers, why was he replaced?

The other two guys could easily be re-casts of the similar council members from Avengers (just look at the cast lists in IMDB and you'll see what I mean).
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2014, 02:49 PM »
I'd guess the council members change regularly, like the UN.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2014, 04:16 PM »

Evil Widmore from LOST

Well played!

Not only those but the Asian guy was the mob accountant from The Dark Knight

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2014, 03:44 AM »
Falcon replacing Steve Rogers as Captain America

Hey kids, remember this one?  So, it sort of seems like 1985 all over again...is Marvel worried about some of the lawsuits out there about rights (similar to what I heard happened back then...Black Suit Spider Man, The Captain, She Hulk in Fantastic Four, Rhodes as Iron Man)  I can't stand a lot of comics crap which is why I don't read them.  I also think a lot of this crap is playing a lot more into future movie plot lines than maybe I think it should.