Author Topic: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 67706 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20 PM »
New Civil War Trailer Reveals Spider-Man

Just in case you were sick of seeing the old trailer before TFA
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Holy crap...can Marvel start making DC movies?  Please?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 10, 2016, 01:12 PM »
Welcome home, Spidey.

Now if they can just get the ******* Fantastic Four (more so for Doom and Galactus), then we'll be all set (I know the X-men in the MCU is never happening, but I would have loved to see Jackman with Downey and the gang)

Holy crap...can Marvel start making DC movies?  Please?

No ****.  I liked (didn't love) MoS and I'm hearing BvS is more of the same, so I'm not expecting to be blown away.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 10, 2016, 01:20 PM »
Awesome.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2016, 04:04 PM »
"UNDEROO'S" ;D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2016, 05:34 PM »
That looks fantastic!  But I'm left wondering how the tag scene from the end of Avengers - Age of Ultron with Cap, Falcon and the Winter Soldier plays into this story.  Or are the scenes of the Winter Soldier being in cold storage in Russia just some sort of flashback?

As a whole, I have to admit to being WRONG, SO WRONG about Chris Evans as Captain America.  I was SOOOOOOO skeptical about him playing this role, especially after that second FF movie where he played Johnny Storm.  I didn't think he was going to be capable of creating a distinct Captain America character.  But my oh my, was I wrong!  Chris Evans was able to craft such a different character, fleshing out Steve Rogers as this incredibly decent and bright guy who wanted to do the right thing.  And he exuded this humility while being this amazing fighter and a great leader. 

I know a lot of people have sung the praises of Robert Downey Jr. for getting the ball rolling in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  But as the Iron Man story arc has moved forward, his stories have gotten a little more difficult to digest.  But the Cap stories have been growing in their depth, intrigue and emotional content.  Because of that I think I'm looking forward to this movie a great deal, even though I never read the Civil War comic series.  Now, maybe some of this is by design.  Tony Stark's narcissism is enough to drive any person away.  He has his redeeming moments, but Tony's ego and the notion that he knows best gets in the way of him being a truly decent person.  I guess both IM3 and A-AoU cast some doubt on Tony Stark's altruistic nature.  That, and I think the Russo brothers put together a better film in Captain America - The Winter Soldier, and have likely done so again with Civil War.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:59 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2016, 12:26 AM »
Cap has been my favorite Superhero since I first started reading comics...I know where this is going and I think making Bucky or Falcon "Captain America" sucks ass because as Nick says Evans has nailed Rogers and nobody else can ever be Cap.  God, I hate modern comics.  Who are they killing off this year?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2016, 01:09 AM »
Hell, I think the casting with the exception of possibly one or two minor missteps, has been awesome for Marvel.  I am more excited to see Civil War that any other movie this year without Star Wars in the title!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2016, 09:57 AM »
God, I hate modern comics.  Who are they killing off this year?

+1

Doesn't matter, Marvel or DC, it seems every year your favorite character is either a) dead or b) being rebooted.   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2016, 10:31 AM »
I know a lot of people have sung the praises of Robert Downey Jr. for getting the ball rolling in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  But as the Iron Man story arc has moved forward, his stories have gotten a little more difficult to digest.  But the Cap stories have been growing in their depth, intrigue and emotional content.  Because of that I think I'm looking forward to this movie a great deal, even though I never read the Civil War comic series.  Now, maybe some of this is by design.  Tony Stark's narcissism is enough to drive any person away.  He has his redeeming moments, but Tony's ego and the notion that he knows best gets in the way of him being a truly decent person.  I guess both IM3 and A-AoU cast some doubt on Tony Stark's altruistic nature.  That, and I think the Russo brothers put together a better film in Captain America - The Winter Soldier, and have likely done so again with Civil War.

Iron Man has always been my favorite super hero. He was one of the first titles I started reading as a kid.  His battle with alcoholism and subsequent fall from grace (in the comics) has a strong personal meaning for me and helped me through some rough times in my life.  I really like what Marvel has done with the entire cast, but Downey is the most spot on with his portrayal of Stark IMO.  Of course Stark is a narcissist. He's ten times smarter than anyone else, a billionaire, a playboy, a super hero.  I think he's the most realistic of all the Avengers in actually showing the flaws that come along with all that success.  He has a panic attack in IM3 because aliens have just attacked New York.  That's a lot more realistic than everyone else's reaction.  He is the first to see that bigger threats are on the way and the Avengers won't be enough to stop it, so he builds tons of different suits and eventually Ultron.  His heart's in the right place - he is trying to protect people and can't count on others to see the dangers he perceives. The problem is that these individual successes continuously get in the way of his ability to trust others and collaborate on the best course of action.  He is simultaneously the best and worst team mate you could ask for.

As for Civil war, Stark has probably had a reality check following all of the destruction he has been part of.  The government wants to license and somewhat control the Avengers actions versus allowing them to do their own thing.  You know, like vigilantes.  Makes sense given all the destruction and death that the Avengers have been a part of.  Our own government is constantly criticized for the way they handle pretty much anything, so its easy to see how public opinion would rise in favor of some kind of control over super humans.  Despite his independent nature, Stark upholds the notion that the government can best determine the right course of actions for the Avengers.  Cap, despite his fierce patriotism, decides that the heroes should be free to make their own decisions.  It's a great storyline in that both of these guys are over correcting for what they see as failures in the system.  And the fact that you can justify the actions of either side in this confrontation.

For me it comes down to your belief system.  Are you willing to surrender some of your individual freedoms to better ensure the safety of everyone or do you value your freedom enough to fight against the laws and regulations that put it at risk.  If you don't mind the government tapping phones to look for tips on terrorists, you're probably in Iron Man's camp.  If you think a guy on the street should be able to shoot a mugger or bank robber, then you're probably in Cap's camp.  Most people probably fall somewhere in between, which is why this is such a fun, but emotional storyline.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2016, 11:11 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how they adapt the comics to film.  My main problem with Tony agreeing to be controlled is that he knows that Hydra pretty much controlled the whole government just two movies ago.  The World Council.  Everything.  So that's who he wants to put in charge of the Avengers?

And each of those big destructive events - what would have been the outcome had the Avengers not acted independently?  New York City nuked & the world conquered by aliens.  Every special/consequential human on earth executed.  And total global extinction.

So it just seems there has to be a breach in logic to go along with the "we caused this destruction" argument.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm the only one but I don't get it...

Why not just put Hulk in there and call it Avenger 3?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2016, 11:50 AM »
I like how they're trying to tie General Ross into the mix.  His presentation to the Avengers about the New York incident, the fall of SHIELD and the Triskelion are a big deal.  But I think the topper for that meeting was the Ultron/Sokovia incident.  I can see Ross being really hot about that since Ultron was the creation of both Banner and Stark.  And I get the sense that the government wants to hold both of them responsible for the creation of Ultron which led directly to the Sokovia incident.  I think it is precisely because of that particular incident and it's causality that leads Tony Stark to play ball with the government regarding the registration and control of super-human activities.

And there are rumors that Hulk may very well be in the mix.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:51 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm the only one but I don't get it...

Why not just put Hulk in there and call it Avenger 3?

Because contracts.   ;)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2016, 01:41 PM »
I haven't read the comics either, even tho I've heard that someone dies, but I wonder after all the fighting each other how do you even team up again as Avengers how do you be 'friends' again? I can't wait to see the movie but I'm interested in how the post Civil War plays out.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge