Author Topic: The Comics  (Read 19907 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
The Comics
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:31 AM »
So, is anyone picking up GI Joe #156 today? I've been out of IDW's current comics, but I have been obsessively reading the Marvel reprints, so I'm really looking forward to this.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: The Comics
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I forgot this was coming out today.  I may have to swing by the LCS and grab one.

I haven't been reading the Joe comics regularly, but I've slowly been filling in my Image/DDP run as well as the early IDW stuff.  Once I finish catching up, I'll be reading through the series.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33 AM »
So, is anyone picking up GI Joe #156 today? I've been out of IDW's current comics, but I have been obsessively reading the Marvel reprints, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Yeah, this is where I'm jumping back into Joe comics to give them a try again.  I've read them off and on over the past couple years, but just couldn't get too into them - at least enough to spend $3.99 an issue on - but, like you Ben, I've been picking up the trades of the old Marvel stuff and reading through those, so I'm looking forward to this new series as well.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:03 AM »
Picked up ish #156 yesterday and read it at lunch. It's a really good start-off point for a new series, which I guess this is, more or less. Lots of people die, which I figure would have happened a lot more often in the Marvel series if they were able to throw the Parental Advisory warning on the cover like this book.

I'd recommend picking it up. I think it has lots of potential.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Issue #157, out this last Wednesday:

I won't get to the comic shop til Saturday morning, but I'm liking the series so far.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2010, 02:17 PM »
I haven't gotten this week's yet either, but really liked #156 too.  Like I said, I've read Joe stuff off and on for the past few years - and nothing has really grabbed me.  This felt like a return to the Joe I remember, and I hope it continues.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:16 AM »
Oh hai look, issue #158 out this Wednesday, 9/1/10:

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2010, 12:17 AM »
Can't wait to read it.  However, I'm waiting for the first trade before I buy issue 156 and beyond.  That way when all the Classic GI Joe TPB are released I'll have the newest volumes to add to the set.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Can't wait to read it.  However, I'm waiting for the first trade before I buy issue 156 and beyond.  That way when all the Classic GI Joe TPB are released I'll have the newest volumes to add to the set.

Ditto.  I am pacing myself on buying the Classic TPBs so that I won't have to wait too long....
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2010, 10:47 PM »
I've been stuck on Volume 6 of the TPBs since 7 is out of print and neither of my LCS' are able to order it. I went ahead and got 8 and I'll get 9 soon, since these are moving pretty fast.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 2, 2010, 04:53 AM »
Try Barnes and Noble.  I've seen all volumes at BN stores except 8 which is newer.  Maybe on their site?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 2, 2010, 11:28 PM »
I checked their site, and the only one not in stock is 7. My local store doesn't seem to be carrying it, because they needed to make room for the twenty copies of Watchmen they'll never sell.

I even checked Amazon, and it was $50, which is absurd, but it was close to $200 on that site a few weeks ago. I wish I'd have taken a screen capture; it's difficult to believe unless you've seen it.

But I'll sit here and whine on the internet, and it'll be sitting in my pullbox this weekend because IDW finally shipped some more.  ::)  :)

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2010, 12:08 AM »
I guess I didn't realize that the Marvel comics were continuing. And right where they left off? I might have to get back into these since I have all the originals from the childhood days. I remember going to The Core in Cedar Falls all the time (though it was Oakleaf and on University back in the day)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Wow, I had no idea Volume 7 was such a commodity.  Is this because the first printing was notoriously filled with re-lettering typos?  I wonder if IDW has quit printing Vol. 7 but will re-release it with corrections.  Because I'm sure not dropping fifty bucks for it.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 4, 2010, 12:27 PM »
I've waited so long for it, I'm about to just buy the single issues from the 80s. I was at the Chicago Comic-Con a couple weeks ago, and I found all of them, but I didn't get them. I thought I could find a dealer that had 7, but of course, I didn't.