Author Topic: The Comics  (Read 19910 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Comics
« Reply #15 on: September 4, 2010, 06:49 PM »
The only downside to those bound volumes is that they don't include the short comics like in issue #1 and 50. But those don't have any influence on the main storyline.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 03:07 AM »
I didn't realize this.  I haven't read the single issues since I was kid. 

The only downside to those bound volumes is that they don't include the short comics like in issue #1 and 50. But those don't have any influence on the main storyline.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I also realized that they don't include any of the 4 yearbooks as well. 2-4 had original storylines, with one having a reprint of issue 1. Actually, I believe the 3rd one has a resolution to a plot from the main line. I haven't read them in awhile either. But I do plan to hit the comic store and pick up the lastest issues of RAH. It seems like they are going back to the realistic uniforms (unlike Scarlett's circus ninja outfit) and I hope that they get rid of some of the outrageous characters and widdle back on the ninja overload that they put in towards the end of the first run. If there are deaths, I might get my wish.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Classic Vol. 7 at Smalljoes!

I ordered it from them late last week, and got it today. It's nice to get it for that price. I've only read ten pages of issue #61 so far, and already noticed at least three spelling errors.  :-\
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 01:20 PM »
I've only read ten pages of issue #61 so far, and already noticed at least three spelling errors.  :-\

My local library has it and there's ne on the first page! Yikes!

I picked up the 3 new issues of RAH! Awesomeness there. I was thinking there'd be some Joe deaths involved and more Joes involved in the recent plots.  I'm sure that'll change soon.

Also, some advice: Are other titles pretty good in connection to the new RAH line? Do the Origins match up? I did read the Declassified issues regard the original 9 Joes and thought that was good. What do you recommend?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I actually don't read any of IDW's other Joe titles. I did for a little bit, but I didn't think there was enough going on in each issue to justify the $4 cover price. IIRC, the continuity was rebooted completely, so Hama's RAH run in the 80s and now have no bearing on what IDW is doing now.

I have heard that the Cobra series is very good, and I'm thinking of jumping on board with that with some TPBs. Origins keeps going, and honestly I'm wishing I'd stayed with that book. But the regular Dixon Joe book kind of soured me on new Joe comics.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice, II. I'll just stick with the reboot then. It's nice to have them pick up where they left off 16 years ago. I was hoping to see some Joes die in the first few issues, especially with the shoot on sight order out for them. But I suppose with Hasbro still guiding it, they don't want to kill off someone they want to issue down the road.

Since I started out late, I missed out on the variant issue I wanted for 157 (the Cobras by the HISS) at the local comic shop. I wonder if The Core would have them in CF. Might have to drop by when I'm down in the area next, whenever that may be.  :-\

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 07:49 PM »
I kind of like the new IDW comics.  I just do the TPB route and have volumes 1 and 2, but it's pretty cool and updated.  It tries a little too hard to be gritty for the sake of grittiness sometimes, but overall, I really enjoy them.  The old ones are corny as hell and nostalgic, but all in all, the new Gi Joe comics aren't bad at all (not worth $4 each, but like I said, TPBs make it a lot more economical if you have the patience).
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 08:11 PM »

Bought Special Missions TPB #1 the other day and it has the Special Missions story from issue 50.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 02:04 PM »

Bought Special Missions TPB #1 the other day and it has the Special Missions story from issue 50.

That's cool they did that. I'm glad they aren't leaving any of the story out.

I'm still waiting for the new issue of RAH. I believe it comes out next week, but that's almost a month and a half between issues. To sate my appetite, I managed to score a 155 1/2 and read it yesterday!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:06 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Yeah, IDW plays fast and loose with scheduling. Special Missions Vol.2 came out this last week, so I'm sated as far as Joe comics go for now.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Why the sudden(?) drop in price for Classics Vol. 7 TPB?  Was there finally more printings?  This one used to go for $50-$70, and now you can get it for $15 off Amazon.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 03:32 PM »
My guess is they finally printed more, since my LCS has a couple in stock after months of waiting. About time, too.  :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Volume 10 is out this week. Just picked it up at my LCS.  :)

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Picked up Special Missions at Borders with a 50% off in-store coupon a while back.  Still haven't picked up Classic Volume 9 or 10.  Can't wait volume 10 because I've never read anything over 100.

Still holding off the new issues beyond 155 1/2 in anticipation for the first trade.