Author Topic: The Comics  (Read 19913 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Comics
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 11:06 AM »
I haven't been reading the current Joe comics for a bit now (although thinking about starting up again recently), but it looks like there was a pretty big event in this week's G.I. Joe: Cobra #12.  Big SPOILER ahead.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 1, 2011, 11:01 PM »
Can somebody fill me in on the IDW Continuity?  Which series connects the old Marvel/Larry Hama comics?  And all the Chuckles side stories and Origins, and other titles fit in with the Chuck Dixon/M.A.S.S. Device storyline? 

Me is so confused.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 1, 2011, 11:44 PM »
The Marvel/IDW continuity ones are "A Real American Hero" which is still being written by Hama. That's all I focus on.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 1, 2011, 11:46 PM »
I think ARH's plots do not entwine with the other lines out there, either.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 01:39 PM »
I've been rereading my old Marvel comics over the last week or so.  My goal is to read the whole series through before getting into the IDW ARAH series.  I have read some of the IDW Origins and Cobra books, but stopped when I got to the gaps in my collection and started on the Marvel series.

The early Joe stories from Marvel are kind of interesting because the first 10 books or so really start out before we get into the toy crossovers.  There's a lot of goofiness in those books that I never noticed before, like a board listing what Joes were going on a mission, but during the mission one of the Joes ends up being a totally different character.  There are also a couple books where people flip back and forth, alternately calling Stalker either "Stalker" or "Ranger."

I'm now up to about issue 16 I think.  Now we're getting into the "toy" issues as they're standardizing the Cobra and Joe vehicles and each of the last 2 or 3 books has introduced new Joes that were coming in the toy line, so less green shirt and more specialized outfits.

One of the funniest things, the book I just read was where Cobra invades Washington to plant a toxin in the Treasury Department.  Gung-Ho and some other Joes go to stop them, and one of the Joes is Torpedo.  He's running around the Treasury building in a wetsuit with flippers and his mask on!  It's so ridiculous. 

It's been so long since I've read these that I forgot what they were like.  I must have only been 12 or 13 maybe when these issues came out.  Still, they're fun, just a lot of goofy.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Ahh, issue 16. I love the panic the Joes get when Cobra unloads a bunch of 'paratroopers' only to find out their miniture toy soldiers.

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 1, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Anyone still reading these?  With all the different Joe lines I have to constantly re-check the covers while I am reading to recall which universe the story is in! 

The new scratch-off cover is an awesome gimmick and was very successful with me, I bought two so I could scratch one off and leave the other intact.  I experienced a real child-like thrill scratching off that mask.  They should do something like that more often, and wouldn't it have been cool if different covers had different people under the mask, distributed in random assortments?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 1, 2012, 02:14 PM »
After finishing the Marvel run I read the new ARAH IDW releases and now I'm starting on the new ongoing series after having filled in the gaps on my runs.

I'm not up to the new Cobra Civil War series yet.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 1, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Anyone still reading these?  With all the different Joe lines I have to constantly re-check the covers while I am reading to recall which universe the story is in! 

The new scratch-off cover is an awesome gimmick and was very successful with me, I bought two so I could scratch one off and leave the other intact.  I experienced a real child-like thrill scratching off that mask.  They should do something like that more often, and wouldn't it have been cool if different covers had different people under the mask, distributed in random assortments?

Which comic had the scratch-off?

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 2, 2012, 04:38 AM »
GI Joe Cobra Civil War #8

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 05:21 PM »
I found out that A Real American Hero's Yearbook/Annual got delayed. I thought it was supposed to be released this week, but I don't see it on any lists. Anyone know of the new release date?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Is anyone reading the current GI Joe books and can give me some advice?  What's the best reading out there these days?  I've picked up the first issues of the new series (just titled GI Joe), and it has been alright so far.  I know the Real American Hero stuff is still continuing as well, but I'd be a bit behind on that to catch up.  There's also some other offshoot titles I believe (Special Missions, Cobra Files, etc).  Anyways, I'm mostly a fan of the classic Joes, which seem to be represented in both - and Snake Eyes in particular (who surprisingly, I don't see anywhere in recent solicits).  Just wondering if anyone had any advice on what's the best read out there these days.  Am I best off catching up on the RAH trades and then continuing on with the newer stuff, or starting fresh with the new series?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I'd stick with Larry Hama's book. The IDW series seems to keep rebooting every two years, and it's kind of lame. Fred Van Lente's regular series is entertaining so far, though there's only two issues out. Chuck Dixon's Special Missions is so far meh, but it does continue his series/continuity. I haven't read Cobra Files yet, but if it's like the Cobra series at all, I'll probably enjoy it, but it is a little dark at times.

Hama's book is IMHO the best, with recent issues featuring the Red Shadows, which is pretty neat.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk