Author Topic: Captain America: Winter Soldier: The Toys!  (Read 86780 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Captain America: Winter Soldier: The Toys!
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:24 AM »
I am really excited for this weekend as it should be our first glimpse at Cap toys.  I don't expect a full onslaught ala Spidey/Hulk/Iron Man but I do expect them to do something.  With the WII/military aspect of this film it will be cool to see if they can incorporate any failed or retooled Indy stuff into the line
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:15 PM by Scott »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger: The Toys!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:31 AM »
wow - I had no idea that these could already possibly be debuted this weekend - that is pretty exciting!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I wasn't sure if we'd see something or not, but it would be cool if we did.  I'm wondering how big of a lull SW will have next year, as Hasbro has a lot of licensed stuff (possibly) going on with Thor, Cap, and Transformers.  Plus, there is X-Men: First Class, but it is being put together so quickly who knows if it will get a toyline or not.  A Cap line (with movie and comic series, like IM) could be pretty cool though.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58 PM »
After the way Hasbro screwed up the Iron Man and Wolverine lines, I have very low expectations. We'll get an awesome comic Cap I'm sure, but we'll also get a million crappy Cap repaints that nobody would possibly want. The line will pegwarm for 6 months and that'll be it.

I myself just want a kickass accurate comic version of Cap since the Marvel Universe attempts were missing details.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00 PM »
I'm hoping for the same sort of thing as the Iron Man and Wolvie lines, that being a separate comic series line on top of the movie line. Here's hoping they'll have learned their lesson from the last two bombs though and not pack in a million Caps with no villains. A nice comic Cap, maybe a new Bucky, Red Skull, Hydra Soldier, Baron Zemo, maybe Crossbones or somthing? That would be neat.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:47 AM »
After the way Hasbro screwed up the Iron Man and Wolverine lines, I have very low expectations.

Agreed completely.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Only one figure, but Hasbro put out a Cap movie figure today at SDCC, alongside some of the Thor movie figures (pic courtesy of AFI).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:08 PM »
Nice! It will be interesting to see to what lengths they go, especially as others have said, being burned by lots of toy lines in the past 3-4 years

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:42 PM »
A little closer picture HERE in the Fwoosh forums, looks pretty good to me.

Nice! It will be interesting to see to what lengths they go, especially as others have said, being burned by lots of toy lines in the past 3-4 years

Yeah, I'm curious to see how things will go as well.  It seems to me that these lines could be pretty successful, and we can all see the problems with them.  But then again, I guess we maybe don't know enough about the inner workings of a toy company/line.  I think that if they were a little more conservative with the number of main character versions (like 50 Iron Men) and included more secondary/villains, it would help a lot.  I would have thought Iron Man had a lot of potential to be a successful line, but it doesn't seem like it has done much better than the others.

When you think about it, you are really right on the nose Scott.  Despite what they might admit publically, there really hasn't been a stellar record with Hasbro's movie lines lately.  I think the first Iron Man line did well enough, but it was a lot more conservative than typical movie lines.  The first Transformers I think was a pretty big success as well.  Other than that...not so good.  Indy, GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, Spider-Man 3, Wolverine, Hulk, and even Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen have all been pretty poor sellers after the initial "rush" it seems.  Plus, it seems like character selection and shipping amounts could do a lot to fix that.  I mean, for the most part, I'd say the actual toys themselves have been pretty good (at least in Indy, the Joes, Iron Man 2, or even much of Wolverine), it is just the waves of only the main character and his variations.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:17 AM by Brian »

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Looks sweet, I'll be looking forward to these for sure! Iron Mans toyline failure is kind of baffling, in the sense that I can't beleive they managed to screw that one up. I mean here's a movie line where having multiple versions of the main character actually makes sense, what with all the different in movie suits, but the case ratios, and saving all the secondary characters till wave 5 (finally getting HAMMER drones) was just a stupid move. They sold well initially, and then instead of having new cases of new figures to put out when the original waves were sold, they send out wave 3, which had 1 Whiplash and a bunch of repacks. I really hope they don't screw up again, cuz these lines have a lot of potential to be loads of fun.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 3, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Just saw this over at Marvelous News, some GG scans used in making the Cap movie figure.  Ridiculous amount of detail, hopefully the final figures reflect that.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Comic Book Movie has a pic montage up of some of the upcoming Captain America movie/comic figures.  I'm sure we'll get a better look at things at Toy Fair.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Looks like the 3 3/4in figs are rehashes though. Cant wait to see some new stuff at Toyfair!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2011, 01:14 PM »
I hope they don't kill this line with 99% of it being Captain America... need to make the other characters too.  That's what helps make Star Wars and GI JOE so successful - variety!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2011, 05:55 PM »
I hope they don't kill this line with 99% of it being Captain America... need to make the other characters too.  That's what helps make Star Wars and GI JOE so successful - variety!

I guess the multiple versions of the same hero works for Hasbro. Despite what we see lingering on the shelves, they had the same attitude for Wolverine, Iron Man, and Spider Man. If it was a poor way of doing things, I imagine that they would've altered their strategy.

I'm left wondering if the "multiples of the hero" thing is Hasbro's decision or something Marvel wants done with their toy lines.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2011, 05:56 PM by Greg »