Author Topic: Thor (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 50744 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Thor (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2011, 12:29 AM »
I always look forward to Dressel Rebel's spoilers. >:D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Saw it, liked it.  Crowd remarkably well behaved but then most were a caricature of a nerdy, comic book reading, toy collecting individual.  The only person talking during the movie was a middle aged woman that almost got the hammer of Thor in the side of her head. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2011, 01:26 PM »
The only person talking during the movie was a middle aged woman that almost got the hammer of Thor in the side of her head. 

You just had to wear a costume, didn't you.  :-*

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41 PM »
The only person talking during the movie was a middle aged woman that almost got the hammer of Thor in the side of her head. 

Coincidentally, that's what I call my wiener.  ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2011, 02:57 AM »
Saw the movie earlier this week.  All in all, it was pretty good.  Thor has to be one of the single most difficult characters to cast because of both the physicality of the character and his mythological background.  How do you cast a norse god?  But I think Chris Hemsworth pulled it off. 

Natalie Portman?  Mmmm.  She's like a fine wine, just getting better with age!

I thought I had a good idea of where the easter egg scene was going, but now I'm not so sure.  I could've sworn that the name of Stellan Skarsgaard's character was the name of a pretty significant Marvel villain (Avengers, FF, Secret Wars, etc).  But the whole CC story might run counter to that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I could've sworn that the name of Stellan Skarsgaard's character was the name of a pretty significant Marvel villain (Avengers, FF, Secret Wars, etc).  But the whole CC story might run counter to that.

Nah, "Erik Selvig" doesn't show up anywhere on the Marvel Wiki.  I gotta conclude he's a new character.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Saw Thor Friday night with my friends Joe K and T.J. (Bill and Jesse know them).  Really liked it.  Saw it in 3D IMAX and it looked really crisp and clear. I loved the way they did Asgard.  Looked as good as or better than Coruscant from the SW films.

The plot was decent, and I loved the cameos.  Hemsworth did a great job, IMO, and I still can't get over how huge he got to play that role.  I liked Portman in this film...way better chemistry than between her and Hayden in the SW films.  I thought they kind of wasted Kat Dennings, though.  She's a good actress and it didn't feel like she had much to work with.

I wasn't sure how I was going to like this, was more looking forward to Captain America, but thought Thor really stepped up.  Now I'm hoping CA can follow.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32 PM »

Coincidentally, that's what I call my wiener.  ;D

You call your wiener a "middle aged woman?"  That's weird.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Saw it Friday night, but I had to go to 2 different theatres to find a non-3D showing. (Damn I am sick of that crude, sucky 3D crap...just give it up already, please)

Thought it was good, a solid summer movie effort. If you don't overthink it too much, it's a pretty fun ride. I'm not so much of a Thor purist that I was horribly offended by any of the plot changes. I did want to see that winged helmet though.

Thought Loki came off as much more of a sympathetic villain than the mustache twirling arch enemy from the comics. Was actually kind of refreshing to have a villain with some depth.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Thought Loki came off as much more of a sympathetic villain than the mustache twirling arch enemy from the comics. Was actually kind of refreshing to have a villain with some depth.

Since when did Loki ever have a mustache?   ???
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Is that a joke, are you really unfamiliar with the "mustache twirling arch enemy" reference?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2011, 10:44 AM »
LOL...it's just an expression. A reference to the old B/W silent movie villains, who always bore a trademark sinister mustache they would invariably stroke or twirl malevolently.

Loki in the comics was always clean shaven as I recall, but then again, so was Thor and somehow that got lost in the movie.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2011, 05:32 PM »
I get the reference, just thought you were being more literal with your comment.  I never really thought of Loki as that kind of villian.  He's definitely a plotter, but has always been portrayed as somewhat feable and whiney in the stories I've read, gaining people's sympathy and then preying on them.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have read a lot of Thor, so it will be fun to see how well the characters fit with my expectations.

As for Thor, he did actually sport a scruffy beard for a while in the comics.  He was using it to hide injuries, but it was a cool look for him.  Ultimates Thor also sports a beard and we know that some of the movie characters more closely resemble the Ultimates version of their character (i.e. Sam Jackson as Nick Fury instead of David Hasslehoff).

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2011, 11:54 AM »
I saw it this past weekend with my son and we loved it - go check it out

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2011, 01:14 PM »
So....would I have to watch this movie and all the other upcoming comic hero type movies to understand the eventual Avengers flick ?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN