Author Topic: Jedi Points? Your Prediction  (Read 12977 times)

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
Re: Jedi Points? Your Prediction
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2003, 09:25 PM »
as long as they ask 500 / fig or so ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2003, 12:13 AM »
My hope is that it's a program (ongoing) for getting figures we're not going to get otherwise.  Whether this is figures like Yarna or Ice Cream Maker Guy (Dorme?) or getting Figures That Time Forgot (Trophy figs, Eopie, etc.), I'm all for it.  But since this is reality, it's going to be something less than stellar.  

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2003, 08:21 AM »
I would think they would choose a 3 3/4 figure for the promotion.  It's probably the easiest thing for Hasbro to distribute to the masses and store.  What it would be is anyone's guess really.  It would probably be something geared towards any type of fan.  For example I doubt it would be something like B'omarr Monk again.  Probably nothing that obscure.  I don't know it will be interesting to find out what it is :)  

I am just glad to see there may actually be a promotion.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2003, 02:52 PM »
The verdict

Sounds like it is an auction!

For those of you who aren’t attending Comic-Con this week, here is what we unveiled today at our presentation.

We are pleased to announce the creation of Jedi Master Points Auctions. Since 1999, you’ve been saving up your points, and we have finally come up with a way for you to use them. Scheduled for launch in September, Jedi Master Point Auctions will enable registered users of www.starwars.hasbro.com to use their Jedi Master Points as currency in a series of online auctions. We are still finalizing what will be auctioned on the site, but we will have hard-to-find items like Jorg Sacul, Toy Fair Darth Vader and the R2-D2 Astromech Droid. The promotion is scheduled to run for a three-month trial period. We will then evaluate the program for the future; however, this may be the only opportunity to ever use your Jedi Master Points, so don’t save them up for something in the future! The total number of auctions will also be limited, so bid early. As more details about the promotion are finalized, we will post on the website, so check back here.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2003, 02:52 PM »
An auction??? WTF???  
I'm going to be sick now....
Beth

Jango Fettish

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2003, 03:11 PM »
Lays did the same thing with the ePloids, and auctioned off Frito Lay promo Episode 2 stuff, like standee's, etc. It went over very well.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2003, 03:23 PM »
The verdict

Sounds like it is an auction!

We are still finalizing what will be auctioned on the site, but we will have hard-to-find items like Jorg Sacul, Toy Fair Darth Vader and the R2-D2 Astromech Droid. The promotion is scheduled to run for a three-month trial period. We will then evaluate the program for the future; however, this may be the only opportunity to ever use your Jedi Master Points, so don’t save them up for something in the future! The total number of auctions will also be limited, so bid early. As more details about the promotion are finalized, we will post on the website, so check back here.

How are they going to keep track of the points?

What if jerks out there bid 1,000,000 points, "win" the auction, but don't have the points to send in?  Will they just get a mean note from Hasbro or will the Big H have to go through the list of bidders until someone actually sends the points in?

OR, will we have to send in our points first so they can be counted and then be eligible to vote in the auctions?

I'll be waiting to see how this potential fiasco turns out...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2003, 03:23 PM »
I guess i will have to see for myself how it goes. I would have hoped sor something where evryone who has enough points to redeem could do so. This leaves me feeling that alot of people may be stuck with these things in the end. I guess it depends on the amount of items avaliable.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2003, 03:24 PM »
I'll guess you have to send in all your points and they will establish an account for you with which you can bid on items.  PErson with the most points wins I guess

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2003, 03:26 PM »
Not sure I like this at all.  

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2003, 03:30 PM »
I know it states that they have "other" items also,  (gee...maybe another Ep1 Watto) so put point values on them also.  How hard is that??
Yes, I know there are some that haven't been able to get the exclusive Sacul figure (or the others mentioned for that matter) but they still aren't guaranteed a figure in an auction.  

Sorry, there is just no way that I am going to give Hasbro two thumbs up on this idea.  And please don't say, "They didn't have to do anything" because as far as I'm concerned, they didn't.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 03:32 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2003, 03:34 PM »
Well, the bad news is, as someone with only a couple hundred loose points, this pretty much leaves me with no chance to win any of these auctions.

The good news is (to me anyway) is that there doesn't seem to be any new exclusive items I'd be missing out on either.

All in all, this news does nothing for me really.

SilverZ

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2003, 03:42 PM »
So, it looks like we've saved these for years for the chance to redeem them for something - and so far, all suggested items that many hard-core enough to save JMPs since '99 probably already have.

I realize it is difficult, and potentially costly, for Hasbro to come through with something that will satisfy years of point collection, but this sounds like a bad, bad, bad idea.

I can't see them taking in the points and issuing credits to spend online, it just seems like a tracking nightmare. Can you imagine the workload it would take to tabulate customers points (and do it accurately) then implement them in a database for auctions that start in September?

The whole idea sounds bad, and that's just the logistics! What about the items up for auction? How many items total will be there? What will the quality be? Are there shipping costs? What if auctions are won by deadbeat bidders?

If cost of the promotional item (thats what it is, really, just 4 years late) was an issue, I'd be happy to have paid a "shipping and handling" fee per order to make it easier for them to swallow. If they were worried about offering an exclusive item that upset retailers, why not do this in conjucntion with another entity, like the Fan Club? There seems there would be a lot of different ways to handle this than what appears to be about to happen.

J

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2003, 03:49 PM »
Thank god I have all of the htf exclusives since ToyFare Vader since I would never have enough points to go and win an auction.  I think this is a stuipid ideal Hasbro has put in to effect.  I wish I was over at comic con and booed and laughed at the Hasbro reps who said this annocenment.  Most carded people (like me) should just throw their points away since we will never have enough to get anything worthwhile.  I have around 1,000 or less points from the clearance figures and army builder figures I have but that is not alot compare to the loose collectors.  
ONCE AGAIN THIS IS A STUIPID IDEA FROM HASBRO ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2003, 03:53 PM »
Just got off the phone with JediMAC, here is what hasbro had to say

The auctions will be held on eBay
Jedi Master points will somehow be converted to a $$$ amount
Only 3 months