Author Topic: Thor: The Toys!  (Read 77766 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Thor: The Toys!
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2011, 06:00 PM »
If ya find a Sif Nab one for me!   ;D

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Found the wave Sif is shipping in today, but no Sif.  At TRU.

It'll turn up soon.  I'm relentless.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:41 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56 PM »
If ya find a Sif Nab one for me!   ;D

The first Sif I find is mine.  But if I can score an extra I'll offer it up here.  The fact that the wave with Sif is showing up is encouraging though.

I'm more concerned with whether or not Heimdall will ever show anywhere.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2011, 08:57 AM »
I am thinking Heimdall will either get the TJ Maxx/Ross treatment, or, more likely, get the IJ Temple of Doom wave treatment via ebay China auctions.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2011, 11:02 AM »
I saw the wave with the Helmeted Thor and Fandral, Destroyer, etc yesterday at the same Target that got in new TCW figures. No one else has gotten them yet.

That destroyer looks pretty cool, but too small, obviously.

Forgot to check for SIF today at TRU...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53 PM »
So on this topic of new Thor figures showing up....has anyone found the Loki with helmet, or King Laufey?

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Saw a few of the new figures today at Target. Looked to be this case assortment.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Saw a few of the new figures today at Target. Looked to be this case assortment.

That's the one I have been seing too.

So if that's Wave 2 and the SIF Wave is Wave 4, what is Wave 3 supposed to be?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2011, 10:22 AM »
3 is the Frost Giant King Laufey and King Loki.

Kinda sad that 2 waves only consist of 3 new figures, huh?   ::)

edit:  wait, unless you really count "cosmic" repaint Thor and the other crappy repaints as a new figures
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:23 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Yeah, this line has been a little frustrating to collect.  They front loaded the line with all of these different Thors, but not so much of the other characters.  Thankfully I was able to get Vostagg today, so I've got all of the Warrior's Three.  But I'm still on the lookout for Laufey, King Loki and Sif.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Yeah, this line has been a little frustrating to collect.  They front loaded the line with all of these different Thors, but not so much of the other characters. 

I'm glad they learned their lesson from the Iron Man 2 line.  Oh wait...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I think we can *PROBABLY* understand some of the methodology about the wave lineups.  In some cases the studios are probably trying to keep some story points under wraps, and that may include the toy line.  But that logic was flawed in the case of Iron Man 2.  We saw Whiplash in the trailers for that film.  And there was no armored Whiplash figure that might have been a spoiler for the movie.  It's all very strange.

Feedback

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22 AM »
I think you're right, Nick, that there's a certain amount of secrecy in these lines but they really don't need it anymore.  Especially with how much about a movie gets out online these days, there aren't a ton of secrets for people unless they really stay away from spoilers.  But in that case, I don't think a toy line is going to blow anything.

There might also be another issue also, and that's the lead time on the production of the figures.  They have to be in production while the movies are still filming and on some of these superhero films that have a ton of CGI work, Hasbro, Mattel and the other companies may just not know exactly what a character will look like until it's too late to get them into the first wave or two.

The original Elan Sleazbagano in the AOTC line had ears that Hasbro had to remove because Lucas, or someone, updated the character's look after Hasbro was already producing the fig.  It happens, and it probably happens more on secondary characters than the main.

Still, it's really frustrating to see a line like Thor or Captain America launch and it's all the hero with no variety.  Still, neither of those lines was as bad as Iron Man 2.  That line is a model for what not to do, ever, with a toy line.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Secrecy or not, there's no reason why certain comic figures can't be included in earlier waves rather than the 12th version of Thor.  I seriously cannot imagine anyone who wants 12 different versions of the same guy.  Iron Man might be the only exception to that based on all of his different armor varieties, but cosmic Thor or Thor with & without helmet?  That's just dumb.  They could have put in so many different characters from the books, or even put out comic versus movie editions of Odin, Loki, the warriors three, etc.  Heck, if you're worried about secrecy then why not put out comic baddies to keep fans guessing as to who really is and isn't in the film.  If they had put more Iron Man villians out (Spymaster, Ghost, Blizzard, Living Laser, etc.) then see Whiplash and Hammer as the only real villians would have been a surprise.  I get not putting the Hammer drones out in an early wave, but there are many more options than 12 varieties of the hero character.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I suspect that it may be the movie studios that are contractually dictating which characters can be revealed in figure form in the terms of the master toy license.  Toy licenses don't merely allow the licensee (like Hasbro) to produce whatever they want from the film. 

There is a licensing approval process, and that's something we've seen over the years in Lucasfilm's relationship with Hasbro.  Street dates, likenesses and marketing schedules are all elements which get agreed upon by both the studio/production company and the licensee.  It may very well be the same with Marvel Studios and Hasbro, too. 

In the case of the more recent Thor figures, I'm seriously wondering if Hasbro was holding back stock for the release of the DVD.  Namely, because Target has a special Marvel movie display piece in the DVD sales department for DVD's, BluRays as well as Captain America and Thor figures.

Feedback