Author Topic: The Street Date Debate  (Read 27741 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Street Date Debate
« Reply #75 on: August 3, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Funny that most people on here have at least some Vintage already, but a few Target stores are holding out until the 6th. 

Does anyone have a good explanation for the street dates on toys?  I get doing this with media where you have big events around the launch and potential for leaking tracks/copying etc. But I would seriously like to hear a sound arguement on Hasbro's behalf of using street dates on their figures.  Seems to just cause confusion and make people mad in my opinion.

The only rational idea I've been able to think of is if they somehow "sold" an earlier release date to Toys R Us.  Maybe it was part of the package deal with the exclusives, but if they use it as a bargaining chip with a lone retailer, then I can see where it would make sense.  If other retailers don't honor that date, then the benefit to TRU would go away.  Outside of that, is there any real reason to do this other than trying to control that which you don't need to control?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 3, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Funny that most people on here have at least some Vintage already, but a few Target stores are holding out until the 6th. 

Does anyone have a good explanation for the street dates on toys?  I get doing this with media where you have big events around the launch and potential for leaking tracks/copying etc. But I would seriously like to hear a sound arguement on Hasbro's behalf of using street dates on their figures.  Seems to just cause confusion and make people mad in my opinion.

The only rational idea I've been able to think of is if they somehow "sold" an earlier release date to Toys R Us.  Maybe it was part of the package deal with the exclusives, but if they use it as a bargaining chip with a lone retailer, then I can see where it would make sense.  If other retailers don't honor that date, then the benefit to TRU would go away.  Outside of that, is there any real reason to do this other than trying to control that which you don't need to control?

Hasbro claims the street date was to create an "event" feel around the Season 3 Premiere of The Clone Wars.  ::)

There are so many problems with that idea I don't even know where to begin. Like the fact that the actual show won't air until September or October. Or the fact that Legends and the Vintage Collection have virtually no connection to the animated program. Or the fact that foreign territories were exempted. (The show airs roughly the same schedule abroad as it does here)

It's almost like they wanted to create some kind of massive clusterf**k on August 6th.  Luckily stuff started leaking out early or people would have had a had time finding everything on that day. (IMHO)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #77 on: August 3, 2010, 02:58 PM »
I find this topic hilarious as I have everything that is going to be released for the launch including the exclusives. I have had the entire ESB wave for a month, the AT-ATs for almost 3 weeks, Jodo and Jabba already in hand...

I agree, if they wanted to create an event feel for season three their timing is a few months off. Many stores are empty, the longer they prolong this the more it appears the line is dead to casual consumers. I do not blame them for breaking the street dates. Many stores have these empty gaps in their aisles for weeks producing no revenue for the store. It's an ass backwards business strategy. Just put it out when the stock is low and move on already.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2010, 02:59 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 3, 2010, 03:43 PM »
...Many stores have these empty gaps in their aisles for weeks producing no revenue for the store. It's an ass backwards business strategy. Just put it out when the stock is low and move on already.

Agreed!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 3, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I tried to use the Jedi Mind Trick on some Target employees this morning.

The funny thing is that the boxes don't read "Do Not Put Out Until August 6th"

They actually say "Do Not Put Out Until The Week of August 6th"

Technically, this is the week of August 6th. From a certain point of view.  ;D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 3, 2010, 06:20 PM »
I tried to use the Jedi Mind Trick on some Target employees this morning.

The funny thing is that the boxes don't read "Do Not Put Out Until August 6th"

They actually say "Do Not Put Out Until The Week of August 6th"

Technically, this is the week of August 6th. From a certain point of view.  ;D

Unless the week starts on the 6th, which means they might not want to put them out until the 13th... ::)
« Last Edit: August 3, 2010, 06:20 PM by JediJman »
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 4, 2010, 12:13 AM »
So I went to Target today, and it was pretty strange. A "Star Wars" sign hung over Spider-Man and Bat-Man toys, and there were brand-new Star Wars figures hanging like in every section of the toy aisle. The biggest group of figures was with the Iron Man toys.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #82 on: August 4, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I went to Wal-Mart today and looked for some of the new figures and they don't even have a Star Wars section anymore!

What was the street date anyway?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 4, 2010, 07:58 PM »
I went to Target today. They only had one "vintage" figure there and a few clone wars. For some reason they made the vintage figure $8.99 while the clone wars/legends where $7.99. Why is vintage a dollar more? For a crappy made up card with no accessories or pack in?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 4, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Must only be in certain stores... they were $7.99 here.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 4, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Oh how I miss the days of $4.99 SW figs.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: August 4, 2010, 09:43 PM »
I saw WM's plan-o-grams tonight out on a toy run, and they had 2 Vintage rows, 1 Legends row, and 2 Clone Wars rows...  There was a large empty space on the POG, so I'm guessing that was for exclusives/Jabba.  There was space for the AT-AT, and so on.

No new product out, just 4 or 5 Legends 2009 figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #87 on: August 4, 2010, 11:42 PM »
Oh how I miss the days of $4.99 SW figs.

When SW figures were originally on these style of cards they were $2.50.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 5, 2010, 12:12 AM »
I thought they were only $1.99 back then! Holy crap how did we get to $9.99?!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 5, 2010, 12:20 AM »
Well, comics used to be $.25 and now they're $3.99, so I guess that's inflation for you.   :-\