Author Topic: The Old Republic... The Figures  (Read 11061 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Old Republic... The Figures
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:05 PM »
So it was mentioned during Comic-Con I guess about figures from The Old Republic, but not till 2012.  Specifics are probably a tad sketchy, but why not start dreaming a little while we wait, no?  :)

I'm a big fan of this series and its development, but I've not entirely followed the comics for The Old Republic, and I've not kept up on character names...  I am just giddy at the thought of the game itself more than anything.

The "Hope Trailer" got me jonesin' for figures something fierce though, in particular the badass Republic Trooper that tries to off the Sith, while getting zapped with Sithy lightning, with a knife!  That guy's hardcore to even try it.  That trailer's got lots of figure potential to it alone.

What's the wishlists for this alone looking like among you folks?  I'm curious more about The Old Republic comic(s) now as well, and the characters in those.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: The Old Republic... The Figures
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Yeah - that Republic Trooper Sargeant from the "Hope" video would be great - he is a serious hard-core fighter in that video. Don't forget, he also sets off an energy grenade while it's in his own hand to try to stop that lead Sith.

I've shown that video to folks who like Star Wars, but aren't as into it as us and they all think it's the coolest thing they've seen in a while - one guy even made a remark that he wished they had made the Clone Wars cartoon to look like that.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:42 PM »
My gf even thought he was a badass and the trailer was neat looking...  The kids, who are into WoW a lot, are even curious about this game.

I would love to see those Republic Soldiers in general get at least a couple figures...  That main guy from the video is just too cool to not get a figure though.  He's even very Cloney with the armor, but I somehow would easily buy him without thinking, "yet another guy in white armor". 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:57 AM »
The soldier dude would be cool, maybe that Mando girl from the original trailer. I suppose we'll see all sorts of cool designs when the actual game comes out, so there might be all kinds of neat things to choose from. A shame this is a MMORPG, it looks like it's just begging for some core characters and a deep story. Shame that the trailers probably have more plot and character than the game will.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:54 AM »
A shame this is a MMORPG, it looks like it's just begging for some core characters and a deep story. Shame that the trailers probably have more plot and character than the game will.

Have you ever played any games from the WoW series?  Many of the Alliance/Horde characters have developed throughout the series, especially in the MMORPG - though you can easily not pay attention to the development.  And not only has the game evolved the characters, but there has also been books, and I am pretty sure comics to move them along - so we could see that go on here with characters developed for the game.

As I think I said before in the video game thread - I am pretty jazzed about this game - so much that I bought EA stock in anticipation for it (right before the European stock crash.....   ::) ).  But I think figures for this game will do extremely well and will probably also proove very hard to find, as non-collectors will start buying figures they identify with in game.

As to which characters they should make that we have seen?  All of them.  They are all BA.  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:56 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:11 PM »
So far, I'm hoping to see Darth Whatever His Name Is - this guy:

What I'm hoping for are alternate heads for this dude - in the 1st trailer, "Decieved", he has that cybernetic face apparatus. In the 2nd trailer, which, storyline-wise, comes before the 1st trailer, we see his entire face, before he gets his ass handed to him.

Another character I'm really hoping to see is that female Jedi from the 2nd trailer, the one with a double-bladed blue lightsaber. Also, her appearance is very similar to that of Serra Keto (Cin Drallig's apprentice from the ROTS video game):

With the proper tweaking, Hasbro could re-purpose this sculpt to make an all-new Serra Keto!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2010, 10:38 AM »
He looks too much like Vader, and she looks too much like Bastila Shan to me.

Is there no more originality in SW anymore?
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2010, 12:16 PM »

Has there been for the last 5 or 6 years?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2010, 03:48 PM »

Has there been for the last 5 or 6 years?

Point taken, LOL.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2010, 04:03 PM »
I'm still wondering if maybe that is Bastila. She was feeling creative and decided to dye her hair or something. I hear ya on the Sith guy looking very Vaderish though. Do all sith end have to end up with some kind of robotic prosthetic? And for that matter why are they always human or humanish? Wheres the big bad Talz lord of the sith?  Or the Rodian sith lord? Do human generated force powers just overpower force powers from any other race or what?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2010, 08:37 PM »
I think 5 or 6 years is even being overly generous. :)  Star Wars EU is so-so at best sometimes.  I can get into a lot of individual characters, but there's a distinct need to latch onto the old a lot of the time.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2010, 11:24 PM »
Ugh..those images and designs are horrible.  This is my biggest problem with the EU.  Visually, the OT was designed using history and real cultures as guides.  Think of Vader as a mechanical samuri, Tusken raiders as nomadic desert dwellers.  The designers knew world history, costume history, and the history of Sci Fi illustration.

Most of the comic and video game use the SW movies, other comics, and other video games as inspiration.  They feel like they nothing of our real world. The designs are inbred and redundant.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2010, 11:32 PM »
I agree, at least some...  I think I like things, like in the Hope Trailer, such as seeing the Republic using a white armor as their basis many years long before the films take place...  The armor's also clunkier, bulkier, less efficient looking that the films have.

I like those aspects then, as they give some deep continuity, with such a deep gap in time, between the films and this very old EU.

I also dug some of the Hope Trailer's designs like the droids and whatnot... 

Things like Sith lords needing cybernetic **** to live though, very redundant...  Hell, it was done in KOTOR already.  :-\

And that female Jedi is very Bastilla Shan, other than the saber (she has a staff IIRC), so yeah...  That too is at the least dull.  Jedi seem fairly similar from TOR era to the Original Trilogy...  I can live with them not changing much.  She seems meh though.  If you're going to do a Jedi and show it off, at least do a species that hasn't been seen or something.

I dig a lot of EU, but like I said, I tend to latch onto individual characters, over the overall feel of an EU storyline.  The best EU came out long ago.  Since then it's been almost an assembly line to produce the same thing in a different package.

To me, very little ever will come close to the Zahn Trilogy, The Katarn story (in particular, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Mysteries of the Sith), or the X-Wing and TIE Fighter storylines (which are largely overlooked).  Those were great stories that meshed with the established story of their time. 

Knights of the Old Republic was the last great EU story to me...  Since then, everything hasn't come close to the good EU of the mid to late 90's.

Hell, even the West ENd Games books of the old RPG had some of the best EU in them.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 4, 2010, 12:09 AM »
I'm surprised LucasArts doesn't delve into the "primitive" technology that the galaxy had at this point. Weren't lightsaber hilts connected to power packs? And what's with the clone armor on the Republic warriors? Maybe this can be retconned into being the basis of the designs for clone armor in the Clone Wars.

"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2010, 01:45 AM »
I agree, at least some...  I think I like things, like in the Hope Trailer, such as seeing the Republic using a white armor as their basis many years long before the films take place...  The armor's also clunkier, bulkier, less efficient looking that the films have.

I like those aspects then, as they give some deep continuity, with such a deep gap in time, between the films and this very old EU.