Author Topic: The Old Republic... The Figures  (Read 11062 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The Old Republic... The Figures
« Reply #15 on: August 4, 2010, 01:56 AM »
That's one of the things I liked about the original KOTOR. Despite it still being a highly technological era, it still seemed a bit primitive compared to the time of the PT or OT. A lot of the war droids looked pretty clunky. You had astromechs like T3 who looked a bit more dated than the R2 series. A lot of people ran around with vibroblades and whatnot for weapons, nothing says less advanced than a regular looking sword. When i played through those games it was very believable that this was taking place in a time period 1000-2000 years before the PT/OT era. Some really neat concepts and designs came out of there.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: August 4, 2010, 02:48 AM »
I'm assuming a lot of that will carry over with The Old Republic then as well...  Especially Vibro-blades/axes...  Though those are in the OT, so go figure. :)  Guess they're not that antiquated ultimately.

The droids look clunky and bulky, some of the gear looks oversized, the armor, etc.  That's one of the things I do like about TOR's look for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: June 6, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Holy ****, another new cinematic trailer from The Old Republic.   :'(

Clicky

Even if you DON'T care about the game, or the era, look at these trailers!  They're better than the prequals and they're only like 5 minutes long.  They're graphically insane, they're full of everything that makes Star Wars great, and crammed into that short period of time, and they're just flat out cool.

Hasbro has to make figures.  Oh please, oh please, oh please.  I'd buy Republic troopers in a heartbeat.  They're nothing but pure badass.

Watch the trailer, and just imagine the troopers, Jedi, vehicles, bounty hunters, Sith...  I'd buy everything Hasbro threw at us from this game I think.  It just feels so much more like the OT, than the PT did.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #18 on: June 6, 2011, 05:09 PM »
If only the CW cartoon was this awesome.....

Even if the game sucks I would love figures from all of the trailers. All of them are Star Trekish carbon copies of characters we know but they are likeable. I really like the human Cad Bane/Han Solo dude. Cool ship too!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 6, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Is that Gunslinger/Han character Zeerid from the Deception book?  I'm not done with the book yet but there were bits in the clip that reminded of him.  Based on Malgus' appearance this clip is from before the book, and before the other trailers.  Also, the Twilek that he checks out in the hallway, is that Malgus' girlfriend/servant?

Not sure I'll get into the game, but fantastic video.
I am not the Stig

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 6, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Cad Solo or Han Bane...

You know, Lucas should consider abandoning the live action series idea (that will never happen anyway because of costs), and making a show like these trailers. Probably as expensive as making a live-action series, though!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 6, 2011, 10:31 PM »
But it would look way more stylized than the live action show ever could. I could go for a TV show that looked like that.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 6, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Interesting that in each successive cinematic trailer Darth Malgus looks less and less battle ravaged.  And in this new trailer he appears to take out his Sith Master!  Either way, it seems like Darth Malgus would be a natural for any kind of a figure line.  

Video games certainly seem like they're fertile ground for new EU characters.  Especially since the games do reach such a broad audience.  The trailers are nothing short of spectacular!  But are they sufficient enough source material to generate a figure line when the game is a massive-multiplayer online role play game.  By it's definition, the game prompts the players to create their own characters.  Will some of the trailer characters exist within the gaming universe, or will they remain in some of the associated EU comics?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 7, 2011, 12:54 AM »
Wow, awesome trailer...very entertaining and 5 minutes well spent.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #24 on: June 7, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Cad Solo or Han Bane...

You know, Lucas should consider abandoning the live action series idea (that will never happen anyway because of costs), and making a show like these trailers. Probably as expensive as making a live-action series, though!

Don't forget about Obi-Kolar!

I agree completely I would actually be fine if the animations was this killer instead of a live action show. These special effects look better than the prequel movies.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #25 on: June 7, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Ugh...was I the only one who thought this trailer was just...corny?  It's everything I hate about most modern day genre entertainment.  The "angst" --- the slow-mo martial arts moves---and, it is just a retread of everything we've wever seen.  Even the smuggler ship is a Falcon "type" ship.  I agree that the prequels weren't fantastic.  But they at least had the guts to be different.

I don't have time to go into every detail...but why does the male Jedi stay and fight?  What's the point.  He and the girl could have made it to the ship.

Second...I couldn't tell who was fighting who in the shootout.  The good guys and the bad guys both are armored up.  That's just bad design work.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #26 on: June 7, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Mike, I remember when KOTOR came out, the reason they set the events in the distant past was to give you the same feeling of Star Wars without worrying about ******* around with the canon. That was the actual intent for Bioware, and they nailed it. It had the same spirit as the OT, but also took elements from the PT. I played both KOTOR games, and they definitely had just as strong (if not stronger) storytelling than the PT...and the fun and excitement of the OT.

However, the also had a lot of their own character design. The Republic troops looked more like the rebel fleet troopers than these clone-esque soldiers. And the Sith troopers had a look all their own, with a reflective chrome armor...a figure I'd really like to see made.

The Millenium Falcon type ship is supposed to be exactly that. It's a smuggler's vessel that follows the same kind of feel as the Millenium Falcon to reinforce the feeling that you're playing your own Star Wars saga. Even the name, the Ebon Hawk, sounds Millenium Falcon-ish. And the little droid, T3, gives you the sense that you're adventuring with R2D2. All the basic elements in KOTOR were sort of like stand-ins for elements in the SW saga.

Hell, they even had a "holy ****" moment similar to the "I am your father" scene.

That said, I don't know how good this game is going to be...it seems like it has potential, but I have a Mac and an Xbox360...neither of which is any help playing this. Besides, MMORPG aren't really my thing. I like something with a strong, cohesive storyline, and those online worlds seem more like fancy chat rooms than games.

Definite figure possibilities though!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Yeah, that's kind of the point of the KOTOR/TOR universe...  It's Star Wars that people love, but in a time that avoids the problems the game faces while trying to make it what the fans want.

For instance, Star Wars Galaxies (the first MMORPG for SW) came out, and it was a cool enough concept except that everyone wanted to become a saber-wielding Jedi or Sith type guy, and tons of people were acheiving it...  All well and good except the game was set in the Original Trilogy timeline.

Like Lando mentioned, the original KOTOR was "original", but you had obvious tie-ins to the things that make Star Wars what it is, so people actually were interested in it who liked Star Wars.  And it fit with other EU things too...  The Millenium Falcon-ish ships are just Correllian designs, basically.  It's in a lot of EU at this point that Correllian Engineering Corportation has been around the galaxy for eons, and the "disc" is kind of their trademark for small fast ships.  The Falcon itself is even pretty old, ultimately, and just part of a long series of vehicles with similar design elements.  I like to think of it like a Mustang...  Around a long time, lots of different changes, but fundamentally the same or similar.

The troopers are weird...  TOR appears to be showing an evolution in the armor that the Republic/main government uses.  It's clearly bulkier compared to Clone armor in the PT, which obviously shows some evolution compared to the Stormtroopers...  I can buy that KOTOR Republic Troopers and TOR Troopers exist at the same time though, despite the style differences.  I'd gladly take both styles from both games (I've wanted KOTOR Sith and Republic Troopers for ages) though.

The SIth armor's a big difference though, at least from what we've seen so far of Sith Troopers in TOR compared to KOTOR.  There's always some excuse you can BS though.

For what TOR is doing, or at least what they show off anyway, I'm always impressed...  To the point I'd fully support a line of figures strictly for the game, so long as they're to-scale with what we currently have.  The game's basic formula though, is to give people the Star Wars experience they want without the hinderence of there supposedly only being a couple Jedi left in the galaxy, and Vader/Palpatine are the only bad Sithy people, and the movie's relatively strict plot.  For the growth of MMORPG's it's really a rock and a hard place for them to have to try to fit into that mold it seems.  The Old Republic Era really lets the writers let loose though.

The other option is the distant future era, I guess, as far as a looser control for the gamers...  That era seems to be pretty uninteresting to a lot of folks though, so I'm glad they went back to what worked (KOTOR) instead of trying to go into something like the Legacy Era with Luke's grandkid or whatever.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 7, 2011, 05:37 PM »
I don't have time to go into every detail...but why does the male Jedi stay and fight?  What's the point.  He and the girl could have made it to the ship.

Jedi get off on becoming martyrs.  ;)

Double bladed lightsabers aren't so special anymore. Also, the throwing objects telekinetically never seems to work against other force users. I think it's just showing off.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 03:06 AM »
If Hasbro makes only one action figure from the newest trailer, please let it be Malgus' Sith Master. I don't think he looks very impressive without his helmet/mask on, he has a much sleeker Sith look wearing it.

Is it me or are there just too many similarities between this stuff and old SW stuff? I seriously thought they were ripping off Indiana Jones when they showed the first shots of the smuggler dude - then you see he looks more like Cad Bane, but his personality is that of Han Solo's! Even his ship sorta looks like the Millenium Falcon...

I do like how OT and PT stuff is blended well into these trailers. Very creative. 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"