Author Topic: Do You Use the "Diorama Packaging" Backgrounds?  (Read 8492 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do You Use the "Diorama Packaging" Backgrounds?
« on: August 6, 2010, 11:56 AM »
I was going through boxes, cardbacks, etc. (or, as my wife calls it, "trash") this week, and found a number of these packaging inserts (from vehicles) with the "diorama" backgrounds.  Although I do think it is a nice idea, just due to my display space and everything I haven't really used them (aside from the interior from the Dagobah X-Wing from a couple years ago, I still have that displayed in there).  I was just wondering if anyone here uses the backgrounds, or do you just toss them?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Use the "Diorama Packaging" Backgrounds?
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I sometimes use the Deluxe and Assault vehicle packages that are supposed to form dioramas. I feel that they add nicely to the displays. The only bad part is that you can se the brown cardboard from the side. I usually trash the backgrounds from Battle Packs and exclusive vehicles. At one point I tried to display them as "dioramas" of sorts, but they just looked kinda awkward. The bigger pieces (like the TRU Y-Wing, Target X-Wing) just took up too much space and were pretty fragile in some spots.

Now, JACKOFTRADZE definitely has the background/diorama thing down to a science. I am in total envy of his displays, and I hope to accomplish something similar one day.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Do I use them?  No.   Do my 4-year olds use them?  Yes.

I always give the backgrounds to the boys and they love them.  Right now, the GH Slave I and all the BH figures are set up on the diorama that came with the new cloud car and the GH Snowspeeder/Hoth toys are on the one that came with the new Snowspeeder.

They use them until the point they are ripped/destroyed (cardboard and 4-year olds don't always work well together  :P) and then we recycle them and move on to the next set from whatever vehicles I've purchase recently...   they also love the old Ep1 playsets too (like the R2/TradeFedShip carry case), but that's another topic I guess.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Yeah, young kids and cardboard aren't a good combo. That's why I can't even remember my vintage Land of Jawas "sandcrawler" or the inserts for the Death Star.

As for diorama packaging, I've used the Indiana Jones one from the second cargo truck release, Cairo street. That was a good one.

As for Star Wars, I've only acquired one, the Clone Wars Dooku speeder bike. I'm debating it, because it's small and you have to tear up the package. I'm nutty; I save all the packages. I need to go on a blister bubble removing spree someday, they take up a lot of storage.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Now, JACKOFTRADZE definitely has the background/diorama thing down to a science. I am in total envy of his displays, and I hope to accomplish something similar one day.

:'( Thanks man, I truly appreciate that compliment a lot.

Believe it or not I actually scanned the floor of the Christophis package backdrop that was included with the Trade Federation Tank to create the floor of my Christophis "Shelfpaper" displays. I had to photoshop a lot of it but that backdrop provided the image I needed to merge with the screen grabs I used for my displays. There was never a clear floor shot. So I still can find uses for these backgrounds despite not physically using them. See below for what I scanned from it:

I used the large ones that were included with the Gunship and the Imperial ARC for a period of time. They filled the Ikea shelves fairly well and worked pretty good. I liked them but they do not work for my set up anymore, I just phased out the two I was using when I got off my butt to official finish them with my style of display. I am starting to build more physical dioramas to display my stuff. I really wish Sideshow or some company would make physical dioramas one day but I digress.

I am glad Hasbro includes these, they are nice for what they are and kids do like them. I still save certain ones that I may possibly use again as place holders until I can create a more suitable alternative for my set up. I like the Cloud Car one and actually may scan that in to create a nice Cloud city scene like I did with the floor. Nevertheless I hope Hasbro continues this package feature.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2010, 01:31 PM »
I don't, but I'm working on my shelves to make them a little more dioramaish....still no backgrounds though.

I'll update my collection page with pictures when I'm done.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2010, 02:57 PM »
I'm hanging onto the package dioramas, but not sure if I'll use them.   Part of me hates to toss them out, but the limited space I have to display makes me leery of using them since they take up a good bit.  I tend to throw out extras I have though.  I tossed 2 Snowspeeder ones just yesterday.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2010, 07:11 PM »
I don't use them - they take up too much space. I usually save a good portion of the outer cardboard boxes on the stuff I open, but I just can't bring myself to save the diorama part.

Cool idea, I liked it with the Indiana Jones line, but that was a small line and I didn't have to dedicate a lot of space to displaying it, whereas, fifteen years of opened SW stuff is really starting to add up!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I'm primarily a carded/boxed collector type of guy outside of CW stuff, but for stuff I do open with dios - they get trashed immediately.  Nice of Hasbro to include this stuff in the packaging though especially with their higher prices.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 7, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Great idea, but I don't use 'em. Would have when I was younger.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2010, 09:13 PM »
I'm hanging onto the package dioramas, but not sure if I'll use them.   Part of me hates to toss them out, but the limited space I have to display makes me leery of using them since they take up a good bit.  I tend to throw out extras I have though.  I tossed 2 Snowspeeder ones just yesterday.

I pretty much echo Jesse here. I have mine, just not displayed...yet.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2010, 12:21 AM »
This is a timely topic as I'm getting my house ready to sell and have a ton of inserts and backgrounds that I don't need.  Anyone want any of it before I toss it in the recycler?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2010, 02:48 AM »
I would love to use the included dioramas, but the truth is I just don't have space. After years of acquiring this stuff over and over, it just becomes extra crud that takes up too much space. I still have the diorama/packaging from the mail-away Nahdar Vebb, but it's not on display, only tucked away in a drawer.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2010, 09:36 AM »
I am not an opener so I retain all mine in their original packaging. The only vehicle I have ever bought an extra of to open was the Octuptarra Droid. I did keep that diorama and it is currently diplaying all my loose modern figures.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy