Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93832 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Found the new Trek toys at TRU. I found pretty much everything except the 4" stuff. Didn't buy anything, but I will.  :)

I noticed those out at our local store today as well (I also didn't see the 4" stuff).  I took a quick look at them, but didn't pick anything up either.  I never had any intentions of buying any of it, but as I see more and more about this movie I'm getting sort of jazzed for it.  I'm hoping to stay away despite how good the movie may or may not be - it isn't like I need something else to buy :P.  I have to say the "build a bridge" concept is pretty neat though.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2009, 10:08 PM »
I got the ship.  I like it and the design grows on me.  I want some little guys, but no dice.  The 6 inch stuff looks really good. 

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2009, 01:05 AM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2009, 02:06 AM »
Not a great review, but like the reviewer I'll be getting these if for no other reason than the playset pieces.  Kirk looks attrocious though.

For custom fodder, I think this is a good set of figures...  As a line I'd want to collect itself though?  Not so much.  If they branched into ST that I love though, in this scale, I'd be open to what they could do.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2009, 10:38 AM »
I never noticed that the come with nice accessories. Very cool.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Those figures are kind of...uh... Eh?  I like the looks of some of the accessories but the figures themselves?  Pass.  Guess I won't be buying any of this line after all.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I picked up Chekov tonight...  I'm not terribly disappointed upon early looks.  Kirk blows, don't base your opinion on him...  The others though, are really decent.  For custom fodder they're all fairly blank canvases to work with too...

The chairs and consoles are obviously incredibly cool accessories.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2009, 12:41 AM »
So I got cadet Chekov...

It's really amazing that Playmates is doing these and the Terminator figures because, while not perfect, the lines are like night and day in terms of quality.

Chekov comes with a decent number of accessories, including a removable belt with working holster for a phaser (and a sculpted-in tri-corder which I wish was removable), a stand (starfleet logo), a nice bridge office chair, and a nice little computer console, and also a datapad and of course a phaser.

The sculpt on Chekov's head is MILES superior to Kirk's, so keep that in mind with these figures...  Kirk's head is just ugly and that guy that reviewed it was a little biased after that I think.

The figure itself is decent articulated with a decent range of movement at the joints.  I would say the sculpt is crisp, the deco is fairly plain and clean (as it should be), and ultimately it's a decent figure for the film it's from, and a good figure for customizing.  The young headsculpt is nice, generic enough with a little personality, and will work well in SW figure customs or whatever. 

This line seems to be doing a little more pizzazz with their figures.  They're a bit better than the Terminator figures in every way, and that may give this line a little longer life.  I plan to pick up more of them, especially if they're cheaper at Wal-Mart ($7 at TRU is what I paid).  I'm in love with the consoles and chairs, and already am giddy to get some for my SW figures.  I want both playsets too as I believe both are fairly inexpensive.

As figures for the movie they're from, I think they're ok with Kirk sucking some eggs...  Not a bad little line, and maybe if the movie's a big hit the figures will have a little life.  I could stand to see more characters for certain.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Found the 3 and 6 inch figures today at Wally.  Not impressed enough to buy them I'm afraid.  No playsets about though, kinda disappointing on that end.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Picked up the all of the Wave 1 3.75" figures and the Enterprise ship for my wife at WalMart last night.

She liked them and was curious about what else Playmates was coming out with - I showed her Playmates' website and she asked me to go back to WM this morning and grab the 6" figures (I went pallet diving last night). Unfortunately, there was no sign of these figures in the store this morning. I found this kind of odd - at my local WM one whole side of the boys toy aisle is EMPTY so why not put them out? Is there a street date for this stuff?

Personally, I think they look really cheap and I would definitely be passing on this line, but my wife has always been the Star Trek collector and I've been primarily the Star Wars collector, so if she wants to add this stuff to her Trek collection, I'm not going to discourage her (especially since she puts up with the glut of SW toys that come into our house on a regular basis).
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2009, 02:33 PM »
Saw the 6" figures at Target yesterday and the 2 Spock figures look very cool.  I'm not sure if I'll buy these at this scale because they don't have all the playsets.

The 3 3/4" figures look ok but I really wish they would have made these the same scale as the 1992-2000 figures but with the new articulation. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2009, 06:56 PM »
I noticed Target had some Trek stuff out today as well, although not any figures (of any scale).  They did have an Enterprise and the playsets the way it looked though.  I tried to stay away and not even look at what they had closely, as to avoid temptation :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2009, 01:01 AM »
I was out and saw nothing today.  I'm kinda bummed as I was hoping to nab an almost full set of the 3.75" figures and maybe one of theh playsets.  I really hope this line has legs to some degree, as I think the figures are quite nice and will make excellent SW customizing bits.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I found 4 lonely figs at Walmart this morning, Spock, Kirk, Uhura & Nero, $10. They look pretty sad.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2009, 10:18 AM »
I've seen all of the figures and playsets in person now. Cool stuff. You seem to get your money's worth for $7.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."