Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93795 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Hell, I did that just getting the figure out of the packaging.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2009, 05:16 PM »
My chekov's hip is stuck, and could break easily I'm noticing.  I'm going to heat him up in hot water and pop him apart or try to loosen him up a little at least.  There is some fragility to these guys I'm noticing too though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2009, 10:06 PM »
We don't have long to wait for those guys anyways, it seems.  This is from CTR, who got it from AFI:
MCCOY / ENTERPRISE 43377-61756
CHECKOV / ENTERPRISE 43377-61758
SAREK 43377-61762
GENERAL AYEL 43377-61764
KIRK / CADET 43377-61765
SPOCK / CADET LEADER 43377-61766
TBD 43377-61767
UHURA CADET 43377-61768
SPACESUIT KIRK 43377-61770
SPOCK VULCAN 43377-61771
TBD2 43377-61772
KIRK FROZEN PLANET 43377-61774
SULU SPACESUIT 43377-61775
POLOARILLA 43377-61776

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47 PM »
I'm anxious to see pics to see how good the sculpts are.  The current figures are pretty good despite some spotty headsculpts.  Fortunately the uniforms have either just been good, or simple enough that it's not been a huge deal.  I'm anxious to get a full set of wave 1 at this point too...  I don't know why but I just feel like these belong somewhere with my SW figures for some odd reason. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2009, 11:42 PM »
I'm a little surprised at the number of Kirks.  Maybe these won't all be in one wave, so they'll be spread out.  How many more days until the movie?   ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2009, 11:48 PM »
I hope for a new headsculpt then...  Kirk's is attrocious.  Everyone else is pretty decent actually, but Kirk's (which is so important, it's annoying it'd get messed up) is just really crummy.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2009, 02:39 AM »
I was looking at these again last night and they're growing on me a little.  I may wait to see if Target runs a sale on them the week the film opens.  Pick up the playsets and maybe a figure or two and then build out the playset slowly over the next month or so.

Also took another look at the role play items.  Have to admit, the communicator and tricorder are kind of neat.  I don't know if I'll get them but still, kind of fun toys.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I hope for a new headsculpt then...  Kirk's is attrocious.  Everyone else is pretty decent actually, but Kirk's (which is so important, it's annoying it'd get messed up) is just really crummy.

I couldn't agree more.  I was looking at these the other day, and didn't think they looked too bad for the most part - aside from Kirk.  The head sculpt really is bad, and it is too bad since he really is the key figure to have of the series.  Hopefully later versions will be improved.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22 PM »
The only kirk not on that list is Bar Brawl Kirk. I think you pretty cool if they did him with his bike, and also the bike cop guy from the trailer.

I think those TBD figures are Scotty (from that clip on apple trailer), and either Spock's Mom or Kirk's father.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #219 on: April 28, 2009, 02:41 AM »
Hot Wheels Star Trek ships

Found a few of these this weekend. I picked up the Enterprises A and D, leaving the Reliant behind for now. I haven't yet seen the original or new movie Enterprises, or the Bird of Prey, for that matter. Knowing that these are from Mattel, they probably have some dicked up release schedule.

I was kinda disappointed that they're slightly bigger than the Johnny Lightning stuff, not to mention more expensive- $12 at WM, $13 at Target.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:42 AM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2009, 10:43 AM »
Looks like the 2009 Enterprise and Bird of Prey are shipping next month.  I love these actually.  Star Trek ships work in any scale and these are fantastic.  They're similar in size to the Action Fleet of Star Wars (remember those?) but a little bigger.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Found one Enterprise on the shelf at Target yesterday but didn't pick it up.  I'm not sure what one it was, though. It said NCC-1701 on the ship, NCC-1701-A on the box but didn't match either paint job of the 01 or 01A that were shown in the back of the box.

Looked like it should be the NCC-1701-A from the films but I thought that ship was designated with the A on the saucer.  Not sure.

Anyway, I thought it looked pretty nice.  I'd like to pick up a set of these but I don't know if I want to spend $12+ on each of them.  I may just get the D and the Bird of Prey and then maybe some other non-Federation ships, especially if they do a Romulan Warbird.  Although, I'd probably pick up a Defiant or DS9 station of they did those.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Well, it looks like the general feeling is that Star Trek is a pretty rockin' movie.  It's reporting a $72 million weekend, plus a Thursday take of about $4 mil, to make it the number 1 film over Wolverine which pulled another $27 mil ($129.6 9 day total).

The toys, on the other hand, haven't really seen much movement at Target since Friday.  Maybe two or three single figures have sold and one or two role play items.  I don't think they've sold any ST ships or playsets or 6" figures.

What are others seeing?  I guess it might take another week to find out if the toys are really going to move at all, I suppose.  But I thought for sure that I'd see some sales after yesterday, when younger kids had a chance to see it.

I was also surprised to see that Target did not do a sale on the toys for this week.  They didn't do a sale on the Wolverine figures last week either.  Anyone seeing ST toys on sale and, if so, what retailers?  My WM didn't even get Wolverine or Star Trek in, and I don't expect them to, and I haven't checked K-Mart.

I'm guessing we'll see some clearance pricing in a few weeks at Target if something doesn't change pretty quickly.  With as many huge summer movies as we're getting this year, I'm betting some stores won't want to sit on what doesn't move.  I may hold out for the single figures and playsets if we do see red tags.

E...

Edit to fix a bunch of misspellings
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:04 AM by efranks »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #223 on: May 10, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Target had them out long before anyone else here, and only Target has teh playsets that I've noticed (Don't get to TRU though, which I think has them).  WM has TONS of figures, but no playsets at all.  Target is almost sold out of figures at most of them stores Iv'e been to of late.  I attribute it in part to the length of time they had them on the pegs.

The ST figures are pretty good quality...  While the same company makes both, they're a mile beyond what those Terminator figures are.

The playset building aspect of the whole thing is nice too...  Most people would ant the ocmplete set of figures anyway I think, so it is like making the playset you get later more of a "bonus" in a way.  They're not bad prices on the playsets either.  The figures could stand to be a little cheaper IMO as they're basically shared molds for the most part, but still they're cheaper than SW figures.

I dunno if this line has legs...  Will ST really appeal to kids like SW did?  I really don't know.  But from my POV they're pretty great figures for a stand alone line, but also as SW custom fodder.  I'll be gobbling up anything that goes on clearance for certain.  I may get the playsets at full price rather than risk waiting, as only Target has them near me.  That sorta bites.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 11, 2009, 09:37 AM »
It seems like pretty much the same thing here.  Target seems to have sold some of the figures, and are carrying the playsets/vehicle as well.  Wal-Mart has a metric ton of the figures, and an endcap with the Enterprise (and one for the 6" figures as well), but that's about it.  It is always difficult to judge how movie lines.  For the most part, they are usually aimed at the kids it seems, and they usually seem to just sit and rot on the pegs.  As popular as The Dark Knight movie was last year, I saw tons of the "crap" 5" figures on the pegs the entire year.  The movie masters stuff (which was aimed more at collectors) seemed to sell, but I don't know about much else.  Iron man, on the other hand, seemed to be more limited in release at first (around the time of the movie release), and was sold out a lot of places here pretty consistently.  Even now it seems to sell ok.

I don't know if any movie line will have the appeal that Star Wars did/does.  The market is so different these days than when I was a kid, when Star Wars ruled the aisle for a number of years - whether it was a movie year or not.  This year there's a new blockbuster (often with an accompanying toy line) each week or every two weeks during the summer, so the attention gets divided pretty quickly.  Plus, as excited as I am to see the Trek movie (and the great reviews it seems to be getting), I'm not sure how exciting the toy line might be to kiddos.  The majority of the figures are just plain ole humans in essentially the same uniform.  Not a bother to me, but looking at the line as a kid, there isn't an "helmeted troop" like the clones, or even much for alien life forms like the Star Wars line has.  There just doesn't seem to be quite as much visual interest to the line/franchise at this point.

I picked up two Star Trek figures, Kirk (despite the crappy likeness) and Spock, and I've kept them unopened with the receipt.  I haven't taken them back yet, but the Mrs. would really like me to.  I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet (hope to soon), but I think I should probably try to just enjoy this franchise without having to "have the stuff" - which is sometimes a problem.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:10 PM by Brian »