Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93839 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2009, 04:15 PM »
The Targets in my area took these out of the toy aisle and dumped them into a shambling, dusty heap of clearance toys on their endcaps. 

A new Super Walmart just opened in my area yesterday and they did not have Star Trek figures in their aisles, endcaps or anywhere else. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #316 on: October 15, 2009, 05:58 PM »
These moved to endcaps here locally as well.  I was hoping for a deeper discount but not yet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2009, 06:13 PM »
I wonder what is going to happen to Wave 2.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2009, 08:42 PM »
According to Playmates, it's going to come out...  Along with an expansion of the line.  Just because they have moved things around in the aisle doesn't mean the line's dead.  Bravo Team stuff got moved there before and has its space back, once they cleared things out for the next round to eventually roll out.

I'd say the only way it's not going to happen is if retail refuses to support it and Playmates are left with no alternative.  Perhaps they've got support from only certain retailers and not others?  Target's turnover is seemingly at a higher rate compared to other stores, so I suppose it's possible they wouldn't support it but others would...  who knows?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:44 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #319 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I wonder what is going to happen to Wave 2.

Perhaps they've got support from only certain retailers and not others?  Target's turnover is seemingly at a higher rate compared to other stores, so I suppose it's possible they wouldn't support it but others would...  who knows?

Wave 2 of the Trek movie figures has been designated a "shared exclusive" for certain on-line retailers.  It will not be available at mass market retail according to EE.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:16 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 16, 2009, 12:18 PM »
75% off today at Target - well probably was yesterday too but didn't hit the clearance endcaps.  Still a healthy selection.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #321 on: October 17, 2009, 02:29 AM »
Shared exclusive?  That's interesting.  I wonder if the line then will get a reboot for the TV show next year, in some capacity?

I'm going to pre-order a case of Wave 2 movie figures just so I'm sure I get in on those...  It'll be nice to actually get them since their fate's been dubious.  On the way is fine by me, especially without having to look for them since my WM shows no signs of selling what they've got at the moment.

My Targets have put out a fresh case of Wave 1 figures here and there now I noticed on Tuesday but most of those sold through except I noticed McCoy's and Chekov's and a Spock here and there.  Nero's drying up faster I'm noticing, and part of me thinks he's going for customizing.

Still buttloads of Kirk's, Sulu's, Pike's and Old Spock's everywhere.

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 17, 2009, 06:02 AM »
Picked up all of the 3 3/4" size figures (except Uhura, which I have not found yet  :() at different local Targets in Minnesota for $1.74 each, the bridge playset for $6.24, and the transporter room playset for $7.48. 8)  I waited for them to hit final markdown and it paid off. :)  Well worth it for these prices! :)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 17, 2009, 08:29 AM »
My Targets have put out a fresh case of Wave 1 figures here and there now I noticed on Tuesday but most of those sold through

You must have alot of Trekkies in your town Jesse.   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 17, 2009, 12:31 PM »
$1.74 at all the local Targets here too, picked up a Spock and Sulu yesterday for that price, along with the transporter room playset for $7.48. 

With how poorly this line seems to have done, I wonder if Playmates will scale back the production next time around.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #325 on: October 17, 2009, 04:18 PM »
With no movie supporting it, I doubt they'll have it in such abundance, but like I've said... 

Playmates has the Terminator license, and it's done.  From what I hear, they were planning that line's future, but they canned it.  It did bad.

Star Trek must've had legs and done well for a time because it's continuing and expanding.  Whether it goes from net-only to regular retail is the question now.  But the ST line did well enough that they see a future and profit with it, so I think to say it did poorly is underestimating it.

Right now, nothing at WM seems like it's moving to me, it hasn't for a while either, even when the prices got cut here...  Target's the only place things have moved near me, for the most part.  TRU's sale put them down to Spocks, NEro's, and anyone in yellow...  Everyone else was gone, but that still made for the majority of the figures out, and they didn't look like they'd sold much after anyone in red or blue was gone.

Target's, things have sold fairly steadily...  The restock was a case here and a case there when I stopped into various Targets.  Some had, some did not.  At the ones that had, it seemed like Spock, Uhura, and Scotty sold again while the cadets sort of slowed down a bit, though I could find them before just not common.  And of course anyone in yellow, Nero, and old Spock, were widely available and now in greater quantity.

I'm interested to see if there's a bigger cut in price here.  I've got a couple sets I can take back (bridge sets) for price adjustments or just to return them and pick up others.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I've had resist pick up some of the 3 3/4" figure on clearance for less than $2. I'll wait for the classics.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #327 on: October 19, 2009, 02:05 AM »
If it continues, I'm in...  I must admit, I like it and hope for a better Kirk at some point (that one's attrocious that we got).

I went to 2 Targets this weekend just for fun and one had zero ST product.  Even the 6" stuff, was completely gone.  Color me surprised there.  The other one I visited is a little more off teh beaten path here, and it had 1 Bridge playset which I promptly scarfed (for less than a basic SW figure?  That's a good deal).  They had at least 5 bridge playsets not moving.  I sorta regret not nabbing one of those too.

They had one McCoy figure and 2 Kirk figures...  They had about a dozen, maybe less, 6" figures...  Nothing else.  This store was one of the more heavily laden ones with stuff, and had put out a fresh case it seemed.  It's where I got my Spock the other day...  Now they're down to basically nothing too, so that's not bad.  The bridge still wasn't moving there.  I'm wanting to do a bigger toy run this week at some point while I'm out, to start some X-Mas shopping + look for Rum Sleg, so I'll check out a few more Targets in the process...  I'd take another bridge and transporter at htis point I think, and any Scotty I could find.

Too bad WM's not doing similar because they've got some ok figures left here and there.  A sea of yellow too, but they've got a number of Nero's I wouldn't mind nabbing, some McCoy's and Chekov's too...  Scotty's, Uhura's, and Spocks are gone since they went to $5, but there's way way more figures at WM than any other store locally.  Even TRU which has a number, but it's still about half what any WM locally has.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Shared exclusive?  That's interesting.  I wonder if the line then will get a reboot for the TV show next year, in some capacity?

There's going to be a new Star Trek TV series next year?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31 AM »
I meant figures based on the TV show...  They'd said they were continuing the 3.75" format to expand into more territory at one point or another, and the TOS was I believe their expanded territory.