Author Topic: Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear)  (Read 14616 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear)
« on: August 8, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear)
« Reply #1 on: August 8, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Cool comparison. I never had the vintage figure, but I always appreciated how that figure included a big rifle rather than the tiny pistol. The VTSC Snowtrooper is one of my favorite figures, and I have really enjoyed the recent Saga Legends and Battle Pack releases that include stands and heavier weapons.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2010, 03:40 PM »
The coolest Stormtrooper of them all, and one of my all time favorite vintage figures.  I remember buying him - not sure if it was for the first time or not - at Montgomery Ward with some money my brother and I made from delivering phone books.

I love the modern version, though it has some flaws.  The leg stance is too wide, though I see it's been corrected some on the newest release; the pinkish paint apps on some releases of it are mystifying.  Still, I have more of him than any other trooper (8 or so).   The upper arms are a little too bulky for me (a result of how the torso is designed, I guess). 

The one thing I always have wanted to see on a modern version is a soft goods breath mask, similar to what they did on the POTF2 doll version.  Something vinyl.  That would be perfect.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 8, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Although vtsc snow trooper stance is corrected in saga legends 2010 release, it would be nice if Hasbro made in the future a bit taller snowtrooper.

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Awesome. Vintage figure is still on of my favs and that new one is almost perfect.......just excellent
Waiting for you in my special place...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2010, 06:02 PM »
My army of two vintage snowtroopers (I had two Stormtroopers and two Death Squad Commanders too....weird) both had rubber band belts to keep the kama on (they're still on to this day!)

I like the modern version and a few more re-releases and I'll probably retire my POTF2 versions.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 9, 2010, 03:19 AM »
Loved the vintage Hoth Trooper...  He's another one that, for some reason, lived on into my GI Joe does as a Cobra scientist in biohazard type gear working on the evil Cobra biological weapons my warped child-mind had concocted.  All this reminiscing makes me think I was a messed up little dude.

The Kamas were long gone on mine though, but he's one figure whose gun somehow survived to this day (lacking the forward grip though, for some reason).  I still wonder where the hell the design for his rifle came from.  It's very unique.  I've outfitted repro's to some of my custom modern figures, actually, as it's such a unique sculpt.  And newer figures hold them great with better articulation and such.

For modern, the "Vintage" Snowtrooper still ranks high on my fav figures list...  A cloth kama, super articulation, removable helmet...  It's amazing.  My only disappointment is I'd love to see them do the helmet, but with a cloth face-mask attached.  Difficult, but not impossible.  I'd pick up some of those, and maybe give it a go myself someday just to see how it looks. 

Some of my troopers have wide stances, otehrs don't.  It's a weird figure that way.  I've gotten a couple with stances so wide they could ride a taun-taun fine, and others are quite narrow-legged.  I'm not sure why that little enigma is other than possibly a difference in molding or packaging possibly stressing the limbs when they're still warm?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 9, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Lots of love for the Snowtrooper...all well deserved.  I know its sort of hard to notice but the above is a Legends Body with a VTSC Helmet.  I don't really understand the pink tones either and it looks dumb

Sounds like lost Kamas was pretty common.  I know mine ripped at the holes and was pretty much worthless after about a month of play.  I loves me some Snowtroopers and couldn't wait to get to this one :)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 9, 2010, 11:16 AM »
The old school one was the first figure I army built.  I had three. 

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:31 AM »
Along with the ERG, the Imperial Stormtrooper (in Hoth Battle Gear) is my favourite of the Kenner line. I have 11 of both now and always on the lookout for more.

I have about 15 modern Snowtroopers, which are just awesome. Safe for the stance, it's one helluva figure. Now we only need a Snowtrooper Commander!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Brother and me had 4 Kenner Snowtroopers between us. Yeah, lost half of the skirts (I never heard the word "kama" before five years ago). Some tabs broke off and couldn't hold them on anyway. Big rifle was cool, but aiming it would often make him fall over unless he was on a footpeg.

I find it amusing that they are the arch enemy of the Hoth Rebel Trooper, even though they never appear together onscreen. Kenner didn't care, and neither did I (then or now).

POTF2 was pretty tall. I remember when they got real cheap, could bought more. I got the Saga one with the odd pose and holster even though I wasn't getting much Star Wars at the time. Never got the kitbash of the two from Saga 2. A year or so ago, I found the Deluxe tripod gunner snowtrooper by himself at a flea market for a quarter. Good thing the saga one came with that cannon for him to use. Good thing the backpack wasn't meant to be removed, either, as he still had it.

Vintage is best, even with that clone head. Not that I'm that against clone heads. I just think he'd be wearing a head covering with winter gear. There's the "what color is his uniform? Khaki or grey?" debate. I wouldn't mind a retro Kenner take on him, all white with some black detail. The 4-Lom and ZUckuss retro colors are neat, why not do some more?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 07:54 PM »
I find it amusing that they are the arch enemy of the Hoth Rebel Trooper, even though they never appear together onscreen. Kenner didn't care, and neither did I (then or now).

Actually, they are seen advancing and firing in the distance, at Rebels in the trenches.  It's tough to tell, but there's at least one scene with Impy's running towards the Rebels.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:03 AM »
As a difference between rebel soldiers and snowtroopers, the former tend to wear boots with shinguards (not all, cause we see some in the Hoth corridor with plain boot) and the latter wear shorter boots to combine them with shin guards and knee caps.

Vintage molds prefer the long gloves, the case for snowtrooper included the presence of forearm pads attached to the gloves. So in the evolution of this toy, the character got his short glove and the pieces that protect his forearms.