Author Topic: One leg longer than the other  (Read 1571 times)

obi_robz

One leg longer than the other
« on: July 23, 2003, 04:53 PM »
How often do vintage figures turn up with different length legs? I got my childhood at-at commander out of the attic today, only to discover that his left leg was too short. So I heated it with a hairdryer, stretched it a bit, and cooled it so that it “set” – he’s fine now :)

So is this a common vintage problem? How does this sort of thing happen in the first place?

Cheers,
Rob

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: One leg longer than the other
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 05:28 PM »
Rob, I have two vintage AT-AT Commanders, and both of mine have short left legs.  I just put them on a Real Stand, and they almost look to be standing straight.

It does seem to be pretty common, because I have many other figures that have the occassional "longer" or "shorter" leg.
dustrho

obi_robz

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 05:56 PM »
If they’re all like that (the AT-AT Commanders) I wonder if that means I’ve just ruined my figure? :D (As you can see, I’ve successfully “extended” the left leg:)

In retrospect I should have perhaps left it like it was, because I’ll definitely be going down the Real Stand route pretty soon. Oh well, I suppose I can always reheat the leg and compress it again :)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 06:25 PM »
Rob, if I were you I would just leave your particular AT-AT Commander alone.  I can't believe how great of shape your's is in!   :o  Both of mine are in decent shape, but the paint on their noses are both chipped off.  I've seen it that way on many other vintage AT-AT Commanders.
dustrho

obi_robz

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 06:41 PM »
Chris, I think you’re right :). I was going to breakout the hairdryer on a couple other of my figures, but I think I’ll just leave things alone.

My AT-AT commander is in good shape because, even though I’ve had it for about 20 years, I never really liked him as a kid and he didn’t get played with (only 4 or 5 figures from my childhood have actually made it into the loose vintage collection I started building up a few weeks ago).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 06:45 PM by Obi-Robz »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 10:29 PM »
I have a removable limbs C-3PO in the same condition, his left leg is slightly shorter than the right, so he has to sorta lean on Jabba in my Jabba's palace diorama. I always found it to be an interesting quirk and figured that there might have been a difference in the size of molds used at whatever factory my 3PO came from.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot