Author Topic: Failure in the Cave  (Read 9842 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Failure in the Cave
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:55 PM »
This was a fairly quick diorama to make, so instead of having a series of WIP pics from start to finish, I thought I'd just post it all when I was done!  Having done a precision foamcore dio recently, I decided to make a rougher, more organic scene next (I actually keep putting off a re-do of the Rancor pit for some reason  :p ).  This was a scene I'd wanted to make for a while because the figures had occupied an empty spot on my shelf. 

I started with a styrofoam structure to suggest the cave shape, including the hole through which Luke climbs in.  I then made the outer hallway (or whatever it is!) from a few pieces of styrofoam as well.  I began to coat the structure with instant papier mache' (which is my favorite material for terrain) as seen in these pics.

I then coated the hallway structure in plaster, lightly sanded it down, and spraypainted everything "brown boots" and grey for the hall structure.  I started to hot glue twigs and vines to the cave itself.

I glued a bunch more vines, put a light wash of black over the IPM that I had shaped to look like vines, and drybrushed a little over everything.  The inner hallway wall is foamcore coated in plaster and sanded/painted.  Here are the final pics from various angles:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
Re: Failure in the Cave
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Awesome once again.  I don't recall the tunnel structure at one end of the cave.  I'll have to go back and watch that.  Is that presumably part of the ship from the ark Jedi who crashed on Dabobah?
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:54 PM »
I love it! I've always been kind of geeked out about the actual structure in that scene...I love that it's unexplained and barely filmed.

Great job on this one!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:34 AM »
Another insanely accurate work DB, thanks for sharing!

I've always wondered about the obviously distinctly unnatural part of the cave that appears like a carved hallway or manufactured in some capacity.  It's been one of those things that's always stuck in my mind...  What is it?  Why is it there?  What does Yoda know about it?  What does he reveal to Luke about it that we never learn after he exits the cave and they go over his failure in the test? 

It's a freaky thing that appears like nobody's going to elaborate on it any more than what there is, which is basically nill.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Nice distribution, amazing decoration

great job!

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Way cool! Great work on that, looks very realistic.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Another insanely accurate work DB, thanks for sharing!

I've always wondered about the obviously distinctly unnatural part of the cave that appears like a carved hallway or manufactured in some capacity.  It's been one of those things that's always stuck in my mind...  What is it?  Why is it there?  What does Yoda know about it?  What does he reveal to Luke about it that we never learn after he exits the cave and they go over his failure in the test? 

It's a freaky thing that appears like nobody's going to elaborate on it any more than what there is, which is basically nill.

Quite frankly, I hope they never do, Jesse. I like the mystery of it all...like perhaps Dagobah was once a thriving world and something went wrong. I like to speculate on my own.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Yeah, I can't say I want to know the answers either, unless they were insanely cool answers, which I'm not willing to plunk any coin down on that.

I don't even trust Lucas to make it a cool thing...

THough Starkiller (from Force Unleashed) apparantly has some interaction with Yoda I guess, on Dagobah, so who knows if they're maybe going to try touching it.  I'm shocked they're even considering having another character interact with Yoda besides Ben, Luke, and possibly QGJ's spirit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77