Author Topic: Where to spend the Zombie Apocalypse?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Where to spend the Zombie Apocalypse?
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:17 PM »
I found this at another web site and I thought it might be fun to talk about here too.

At Target today, we came upon a strange sight. A woman was standing in the parking lot for a good 10 minutes slouched over with her head to one side. She was staring into space the entire time until she turned around and limped back into the store.

This got me to thinking about where exactly I would try to go when WW-Z occurs. I'm thinking a Wal-Mart or if I could get to a Bass Pro Shop. Wal-Mart would give a strong supply source for pretty much everything I would need to survive including guns and ammo. A friend suggested a Costco. This would have great roll down doors to make barricading easy but no weapons readily available.

So the question is, where are you going to spend the zombie apocalypse when it arrives? What do you guys do in Pittsburg when this happens?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Where to spend the Zombie Apocalypse?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Seeing as I have the kind of luck where I'll be bitten by a Zombie, I now know that Wal-Mart will (paradoxically) be a good source for brains....
I am not the Stig

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:32 PM »
I'm headed to a friend's dad's house that I hunt with.  They are loaded with weapons and ammo so we can take whatever we can't buy before hand.  And we'll have some great weapons to kill zombies.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:43 PM »
We've got some land in northern Wisconsin.  I want to build a bunker.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21 PM »
What do you guys do in Pittsburg when this happens?

First, you have offended all PittsburgH-ers by leaving off our H. :)  (We're actually, IIRC, the only city to have the H on our name in the U.S.  Weird, but true!...  I think.)

Our actions depend largely on the zombies with which we are likely to encounter.  Is it a NotLD Zombie, or a DotDRemake Zombie?  DotDRemake zombies obviously are a bigger issue.  NotLD ones though, are a true pain in the ass.

What we do largely depends on the area you're from too...  As was noted in the original films, "those rednecks in Johnstown" are probably indeed enjoying themselves.  My area, we'd probably go out and have more fun ala Zombieland than we would stay inside.

Closer to the city, people are more likely to panic and hide in a mall...  My nearest mall has a Dick's sporting goods at it, a good idea to have around.  Not much food though. 

Monroeville proved itself to have many flaws in DotD as well, adn while that's close enough, I doubt I'd go there.  There's far worse people frequent it than biker gangs at this point, as it's got a bit of crime at it anymore.

We're so heavily armed out here, I'd probably just go kill them myself.  GF has 4WD's I'd feel comfortable in too, driving over them.

If they're DotDRemakes though, your best bet is fortification and as much isolation as possible, ala the ending going out on the boat.  There's a couple large habitable islands in the 3 rivers, so those would be options.  I think fortifying a skyscraper downtown MIGHT work if you had significant help.

I know I'd look for a replenishable, but effective, style of weapon.  Crossbow with non-hunting tips (practice tips) might be a good idea.  Something you could hunt from a distance, and retrieve your ammo easily.  .22's could puncture the skull, so they'd be ok distance weapons too, if you're again in a protected spot.

If you were hunting them from the roof of a fortified mall, the best weapon would be somehow setting the large masses of them on fire.  Not easy maybe, but if you could figure out a way, and if it was some method that you could replenish, you'd be set to just keep setting them on fire once they piled up against the wall.

I'm probably more in the "ride around in the back of a pick-up shooting them" kind of guy though.  Our arsenal out where I'm at is pretty extensive.  I'd find all my hick friends, and we'd first hit the beer distributor, then we'd roll out for some Zombie slaying.

Good times.

Oh, and if it's Left 4 Dead type Zombies where there's some real freaks in there that have super long lasso tongues, or  can gas you with their breath, or hop up real high...  I dunno what to do at that point.  I never play that game without getting hurt at some point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:18 PM »
You don't spend the Zombie Apocalypse at a Wal-Mart or a Target, or any other big box store. Look at your basic snow storm/tornado/hurricane. Those stores fill up and empty in as much time. Then you have to consider the undesirables: looters, vandals, robbers. Can you secure an entire Wal-Mart all by yourself? No. What happens when you get there and the power finally gives and the store is now a perfect breeding ground of rancid rotting produce and meat? I bet that will smell fantastic. The plan of hiding in a location like this is one of the worst.
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:28 AM »
I'll go to the Winchester and wait for the whole thing to blow over.   ;)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39 AM »

Good place where you can smoke and have a pint.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:11 PM »

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:37 PM »
You gotta stay mobile.  Hence my plan to find the nearest Unimog and commandeer it.

Add in a portable geni, dehumidifier (for fresh water), several cases of MRE's and an assortment of shotguns, rifles, pistols and ammunition and things should be just DANDY.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback