Author Topic: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set  (Read 32019 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set
« Reply #105 on: December 4, 2010, 04:25 PM »
One of my Targets had 18 of these on the shelf this morning and I actually saw a kid pull one off screaming to mommy that he wanted it for Christmas.  Really?  cool I guess, but ya....This is still a long box of suck IMO.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #106 on: December 4, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Now that I've seen this in a store and had an opportunity to see it up close, I can weigh in on it. Personally, I'm glad there's nothing new so I can skip it, however, if I can find one mint on sale, I'll grab it with a Clone Cash coupon and my Target card 5-percent discount.
If Hasbro truly wanted collector interest, there should have been something enticing to this set. Nostalgia is not a tangible item. The repacks and minor repaints make it skippable. The painfully-cloying press release last week only exacerbates this issue. Hasbro is thinking big picture and wants to guarantee Target picks up all the packs it has planned, but needs these to do well. Judging from the fact that I saw four in one store today -- all banged up -- I don't know.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 5, 2010, 03:04 AM »
Visited Target, couldn't find this anywhere. The endcap was down, because I couldn't find that either. There was a considerable assortment of everything out - TVC, SL, TCW, Geonosis sets... the 9-pack was the only thing missing, though.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: December 6, 2010, 02:46 AM »
I've seen these considerably dinged, dented, and even mangled as well...  So I'll echo what Captain Piett said.

I also truly am glad nothing is new about these.  It's $50 saved to me.  If each pack had one new figure (or "like a new head/gear"), one repaint or something, and one repack, I'd probably not gripe much with the purchase.  If the whole set only had one or two figures you really wanted though, and then a whole lot more of the same, I'd be irked I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 6, 2010, 09:28 PM »
One of my Targets had 18 of these on the shelf this morning and I actually saw a kid pull one off screaming to mommy that he wanted it for Christmas.  Really?  cool I guess, but ya....This is still a long box of suck IMO.

I'd think that a lot of kids missed out on most of these figures... Hasbro repacks the hell out of certain figures in Legends and Battle Packs - but these?  Not so much.  It's a good opportunity for some variety in a child's OT ranks of figures, and at a decent price.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #110 on: December 8, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I was at Target today and they were jammed picked with these on two end caps! I saw someone take one off of the endcap and they all toppled on him, it was a funniest videos moment.  The box is so awkward I think it's hurting the sale of these. All of the ones I came across have been in great shape.

If this goes on clearance I would pick it up to get the darker FX-7 and the Lando. I could use another of him and at least the bulk of the set are army builders. So far this looks like it's flopping when compared to their other exclusive SW items. The second series of Geo packs, Vintage boxed vehicles, Hoth packs and the BP's seemed to be almost cleared out.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 8, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I may have you pick one of these up for me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: December 8, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Yeah, clearance I may even cave on one just to have all the extras...  TIE Pilots, FX-7's, Hoth Rebels, the freaky alien Bespin Guard (who you can put Needa's head on, and it looks good, to make a generic white Bespin Guard...  That's your tip of the day folks), and others are ok to have extras of.

But only on clearance.  It's just not interesting to me otherwise.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #113 on: December 9, 2010, 06:25 AM »
Yeah, clearance I may even cave on one just to have all the extras...  TIE Pilots, FX-7's, Hoth Rebels, the freaky alien Bespin Guard (who you can put Needa's head on, and it looks good, to make a generic white Bespin Guard...  That's your tip of the day folks), and others are ok to have extras of.

But only on clearance.  It's just not interesting to me otherwise.

How soon could we expect that?
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 9, 2010, 08:44 AM »
I am half way to swallowing this pill.  I purchased but never opened my Bespin Luke, so if I wanted to I could exchange him for another figure later at Target.  I don't have that Lando, and he is one of the few figures still on my "to do list".  And, while not on my radar (somehow I overlooked him), I don't believe I have an FX-7 in my collection. 

So, I am left with really only needing 3 out of the 9.  I am an opener so packaging doesn't mean anything to me (I do keep cardbacks).  So, even if I figure maximum normal retail cost of a Vintage figure at $8 that still only puts this set as worth $24 to me. 

So even if Target discount this by $5 I still don't think it will be enough for me to bite on it.  So at this point I am still going to wait it out and see what happens.

The big kick in the crotch of this set to me is the Lando - I do really want him because I wasn't collecting during VOTC, but I can wait longer.

ps - during what line was the FX-7 last released?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 9, 2010, 09:46 AM »
ps - during what line was the FX-7 last released?

POTJ iirc...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #116 on: December 9, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Yakface has a report that a local MN has this on a Temporary Price Markdown for $35.99. If that's the case I will bite. I think my earlier observation of this rotting may be more widespread on this. I will try to stop by Target to confirm if my local Target has this on TPR also.

Update - Hat tip to - JediMoses, he sent the report to Yakface.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2010, 10:43 AM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 9, 2010, 10:09 AM »
that sounds nice - hopefully true.  I could see myself spending the $12 extra bucks (in my scenario above) for the repacks.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #118 on: December 9, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Yakface has a report that a locol MN has this on a Temporary Price Markdown for $35.99. If that's the case I will bite. I think my earlier observation of this rotting may be more widespread on this. I will try to stop by Target to confirm if my local Target has this on TPR also.

Thanks to "JediMoses" for the report  :)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: December 9, 2010, 03:41 PM »
FX-7 did come from the POTJ line, at the tail end of it, and as far as clearances go, I would suspect after Christmas they'd start looking at moving them out fast.  Just my guess.  It's not that far away, but it seems like something they'd want rid of fast because it's a space-hog.