Author Topic: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set  (Read 32021 times)

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 01:37 PM »
My store had the flyer up, but did not have any out.

Two women were dismantling the Star Wars marquee display so I asked them. One of the two women has given me attitude in the past. But unlike previous times, I had the flyer on my side. I think those Sunday circular ads are like the Bible to Target employees.

Once they saw the 9-pack ad in the circular, it was to see how fast they could run into the back and bring out the item.

They come in cases of six 9-packs per box and the outer box around the three 3-packs is entirely TOO BIG. But at least it's one less item I need for the MIB/MOC collection...

So you got it?

I think you're missing a word in your previous post, Pete.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I picked up one this morning. Packaging is way to big, but it's a nice tribute none the less.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Yeah, I grabbed one after they brought out the case.

Sorry if my post was confusing.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Yeah, I grabbed one after they brought out the case.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

How fast did they bring it out? Worth it?
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2010, 05:00 PM »
sigh....clearance only for me, but they did look neato.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2010, 05:13 PM »
How fast did they bring it out? Worth it?

Pretty fast, the fastest I've ever seen actually.

For everyone else in the audience, Piet and I live pretty close to each other and frequently hit stores together and grab things for each other...

Anyway, there are some Targets in the area where the staff is always pretty helpful and then there are those where they treat you like you're trying to burn down the store if you're asking for more Star Wars to come out to the pegs.

There is one store where the manager is probably the worst, so much so that in the past, when he's seen me, he'll grab his walkie-talkie and communicate out to all employees "No Star Wars is to be brought out from the back room" - while I'm walking back to toys. I've affectionately nick-named him the "Helmet Hair Manager".

Well, recently, a new manager has popped up at the Target nearest to where I live and due to her attitude, I've nicked named her the "Helmet Hair Manager's Wife".

So Piet - believe it or not, it was the Helmet Hair Manager's Wife who helped me this morning - that's why I likened the Sunday circular to the Bible - 'cause once she saw the picture and the circular and that it was to start today, the fact that I was asking for something to be brought out suddenly became an absolutely reasonable request and she was all too happy to run into the stock room and bring me out a case of them.

She even joked with me about how big the box was.

So in response to your second question. Yes, it was worth it to ask Helmet Hair Manager's Wife for assistance just to see her act completely opposite to how she normally responds when I ask if a peg or shelf space can be re-filled.

As far as to whether or not the set it self is "worth it" - no, it absolutely is not. For me it's one of those purchases that I begrudgingly make simply to satisfy the completist in me. If I was an opener only, I would totally pass on this set - which is why I only snagged one of them, there's no point in getting one of these to open since I already have all of these figures opened in duplicate already.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:15 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2010, 12:36 PM »
I saw these at our local Target as well, about 10 or so of them set on top of that endcap display thingy (with the TV) that they set up for the CW exclusives and everything else.  If we weren't so tight with Christmas spending, I may have picked it up.  Granted, I have several of most of the figures in that set (with the exception of FX-7, that Bespin Guard, and the TIE Pilot), but the packaging just makes it so darn tempting.  Plus, I wouldn't mind extras of all those mentioned figures, and have actually been looking into getting another FX-7 anyways.  If they don't disappear quickly, I may cave, but the smarter side of me says I should skip it since I'd be opening them anyways.  Like it was already mentioned, the package is way too big.  If these came out as just 3 packs, I would have jumped on at least a couple I think.  Sort of glad to see this exclusive continuing next year, even if it is repacks.  There are several possibilities (VOTC Han, Resurgence R2, EB Chewie, etc.) that could be included that I wouldn't mind having extras of anyways.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I say "booo" to this.  It's just a box.  I have all of the product.  I don't care!

Grrrrrr...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Hasbro puts out Battle Packs all the time with crap figures in them... at least these are good figures.  And they're a limited release and a fair price per figure.  Plus a great novelty item.

That said, I haven't seen it in person yet.  Not sure if I'll pull the trigger, if I do it will probably be to get more of these figures loose for customs and army builders.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Hasbro puts out Battle Packs all the time with crap figures in them... at least these are good figures.  And they're a limited release and a fair price per figure.  Plus a great novelty item.

Great take on this!!!!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2010, 11:47 PM »
Apparently Hasbro is actually telling the truth this time and these are limited...
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 1, 2010, 07:53 AM »
Apparently Hasbro is actually telling the truth this time and these are limited...

What makes you say that?
Peter

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #87 on: December 1, 2010, 08:51 AM »

Yeah, and I stopped buying most battle packs two years ago.  I just won't buy three figures that I have for one new one, no matter how much I want it.

As far as novelty, I think it's way too expensive for a casual purchase.  Rocket firing Fett is a good novelty.  Anyway, I'm just goofing around.  I don't hate this set or anything, just bored by most of waht Hasbro puts out.  I have money to spend, but there's not enough new product to interest me.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 1, 2010, 09:50 AM »

What makes you say that?

I'm too lazy to dig it up, but they mentioned in one of the QnA's from last week that this is a very limited set and that we all need to go out and buy it or something like that...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 1, 2010, 11:27 AM »
After seeing these in person yesterday, I was surprised at just how huge the outer shell packaging was.  Kind of bulky... for someone keeping the set "as is" that's a huge waste of space...

I though the figures in it seemed fine, but I really wish the Hoth Rebel utilized the scarf.

Other than 4-LOM being included, I liked everything else in the set though.  It was also cool seeing the FX-7 repaint in there.  Wish they had repainted 4-LOM more or something.  If they had, or he was replaced by something better, I bet I would have bought the set.  I might at some point though anyway.