Author Topic: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set  (Read 32022 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I'd be down for this if they were individual sets. But in one big box...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 11:20 PM »
This is the kind of poorly thrown together exclusives that I buy purely because I want to have one of everything in my MOC/MIB collection.

There is absolutely no reason to buy this exclusive unless (a) you're buying it as a gift for someone you hate; or (b) you're an OCD collector like me who gets at least one of everything.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Or C) You're REALLY into the Vintage card/look...  To me it's not much different than the Snowspeeder or AT-AT in vintage packaging.  They're capturing the nostalgia a lot hold for the vinty line...  Since I open everything, I can't really care about any of it.  It's neat looking though.  But to me they're not worth buying.

To a guy looking to jump back in because he's so into the "vintage" stuff though...  I could see them picking this up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43 AM »
This set a bit of a wasted opportunity. I get the nostalgia but they could have went he route of the Geo sets with a few minor upgrades to a couple of the figures:

Lando New Head/Arms
Foo Man Choo Vintage Head for the Bespin Guard
Battle Damage Deco on Luke
Beardless Rebel (Maybe different hair deco)

If they actually had some newness I would have bit but I have to pass here.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 03:07 AM »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 09:25 AM »
This set a bit of a wasted opportunity. I get the nostalgia but they could have went he route of the Geo sets with a few minor upgrades to a couple of the figures:

Lando New Head/Arms
Foo Man Choo Vintage Head for the Bespin Guard
Battle Damage Deco on Luke
Beardless Rebel (Maybe different hair deco)

If they actually had some newness I would have bit but I have to pass here.

I agree, they should have at least TRIED to offer something new in this set, not just thrown together nine figures.

I would have rathered that they just gave Target an exclusive wave of Vintage individually packaged figures from the Empire Strikes Back - Lando, Bespin Guard (with a new head w/moustache), AT-AT Driver, Hoth Han w/Hood Up, TIE Pilot, FX-7 and Hoth Rebel Commander could have just as easily been carded individually, shipped to Target in a case of figures and then put on the pegs with the rest of the Vintage line.

I think A LOT more people would be interested in them then the way these are presented. Openers who don't care about collecting one of each MOC could just pick and choose which figures they need for their collection and completists like me would want to buy complete sets. Doubling up on the troopers in the shipping case would help prevent other figures (i.e. Lando and Han) from being over-shipped so the case could look like this:
3x Bespin Guard (three cause he's the one new gem in the assortment)
2x AT-AT Driver
2x TIE Pilot
2x Hoth Rebel Commander
1x FX-7
1x Lando
1x Han

If you're someone who is jumping back into collecting Star Wars then that means you used to collect the line and you know what kind of B.S. Hasbro has pulled in the past. I would totally pass on this exclusive because in the back of my mind, I would see that (a) two of the figures are ones I already have from vintage ESB wave 1; (b) I would wonder: What's to stop Hasbro from taking these sculpts and releasing them at some point down the line over the next two years on vintage cardbacks?; and (c) if I really want some of these other sculpts NOW, I can get them off eBay or in the case of Han, just buy the Legends figure.

There's an express that goes "Work smarter, not harder". Hasbro really needs to start being "smarter" about their exclusives and not just working "harder" at getting them out in the first place. A bad exclusive that Target is left holding the bag on, hurts the line in the long run.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 11:48 AM »
I'd be down for this if they were individual sets. But in one big box...

Same here.  I'd pick them up if they were sold individually as well, but it is sometimes tougher to plunk down $60 (or more) at once for something that is essentially a box of repacks.  I mean, there are some that I wouldn't mind extras or more of (Imperials, FX-7, Hoth Soldier, Bespin Guard, etc.) - and none of the figures included are "stinkers", but for the price, it would have been nice to have a little bit of newness.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 02:23 PM »
To Hasbro's credit, I'm actually kind of grateful that there are no truly new figures in this set.  There was a really easy opportunity for them to cash in here and they seem to have let it go. 

There were a few opportunities for Hasbro to make some upgrades/changes to a few figures here, but they seem to have passed.  The obvious candidates seem to be the Bespin Guard, Lando and the Hoth Rebel.

Another alternate portrait Bespin Guard would be cool, but I don't want something like that to be the incentive to buy this 9-pack.  And the same goes for the Hoth Rebel Trooper.  I like the running change and as it stands I'm not totally enthused with the prospect of buying multiples of that figure to round out my Hoth Rebels.  And the VOTC Lando that's in this pack could definitely use some upgrades in articulation plus a removable cloak.

The AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot definitely have their troop building uses.  But Hoth Han?  How many incarnations of that figure have we seen?  FX-7 is an awesome figure, but still a reissue.  And the Luke Skywalker figure just came out.  And 4-LOM?  There is such a thing as overkill.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I'm going to go guessing the price of this beast - if we get 4 figures in a BP for around $27, then this would be - what? - in the $60 range? Around what somebody else in an above post guessed.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Meh....I'm sure I'll buy this set when it goes on clearance just for the heck of having it for cheap.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Pretty cool sets, I may pick them up.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Could've been something like this:

Imperial Commander (Needa in black with At-At Commander legs)
AT-AT Commander (Vintage colors, all dark grey)
TIE Pilot (grey boots and gloves)
Bespin Guard (Sgt. Eidan with caucasian skin)
Could Car Pilot (different colored mustache or possibly dark skinned)
Ugnaught (head swap on the two recent ones, with color tweaks)
Hoth Rebel trooper (beardless)
Wedge Antilles (Snow Speeder, admittedly, not a vintage release, but follows the trend of making Wedge hard to get!)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin, classic Kenner deco...peachy clean uniform and oh-so-blonde)

Just as glad it wasn't. I have a hard time buying big sets and opening collector packaging.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Very interesting. I shouldn't get it, but I think I will.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Very interesting. I shouldn't get it, but I think I will.

Beautifully put.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 03:54 PM »
 It's a nice set I suppose but these are going to rot on the shelves I think.  They should have broken them up and sold them individually in my opinion.  The only set that really kind of pulls me is the Bespin set because of the Wing Guard, but not enough to drop the amount of money they want for all 9 figures. 

Anyway, it's a pass for me but at the same kind of a nice vintage nod that we were not expecting.