Author Topic: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set  (Read 32025 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Target Vintage Collection 9-Figure Box Set
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Am I reading that right that the next wave will have packs of three available for sale, or will it probably be packaged together, 9 total figures/1 bar code (like the winter '10 offering)?

From the Q&A at figures.com yesterday:

Target actually asked us to create it at that size for a special merchandise end-cap. So the answer is, yes, the sets will have a special place on the shelf and thus should arrive at retail (November 28th!) well-protected with a dedicated "home" where they will reside. We hope they won't last long, though....we are announcing (via this Q&A...thanks for spreading the word!) that the 9-pack is actually the start of what will be additional assortments of Vintage 3-packs coming to Target. We will be following the exact lineup of the original legendary 3-packs, with follow-up waves slotted for Spring and Fall (although delivered as 3-packs, rather than as a set of 3-packs). So this 9-pack is a "must-have" start of a great ongoing collection. This should be very exciting news for fans...stay tuned for more details at Toy Fair!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2010, 02:22 PM »
That's pretty cool to hear, and I'm sort of glad they are coming as three packs instead of the big mamma jamma box of figures like this first round.  I'm on the fence with this first pack.  The nostalgia factor definitely ropes me in, and there are some figures in there I wouldn't mind having extras of.  Although I do have all but that version of the Bespin Guard already, I wouldn't mind another FX-7, Bespin Luke, Hoth Trooper, TIE Fighter Pilot, etc.  All are pretty nicely done figures.  Time to go check out what other figures were included in those original vintage packs to see what we might get next year :).

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2010, 02:44 PM »
^^Thanks Jeff.  I hadn't seen that Q&A.  I think the 9-pack works well for nostalgia style collectors and also for parents looking for a nice large present.   It'll be interesting to see what the 3-packs look like in the spring!
I am not the Stig

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Wait, just to clarify since I'm confused here, so for the following assortments, they won't come in 1 great big 9-pack like the upcoming version?

If that's so, I'm sure they'll do a hell of a lot better at retail than the upcoming pack. But then again, this pack has the benefit of coming out during the holiday season...
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Right, no more big boxes after the first one.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 04:01 PM »
It seems to me that 9 figures for $50 is a hell of a deal.  That's less than 6 bucks apiece and you get some killer packaging, so I sure plan on grabbing this set.

$50 is only a deal if it's something you wanted in the first place.  Admittedly these things are always a toss-up, but at least some of the other $50 sets had repaints or new accessories or something.  This... I already have this.  But for me the boxes just end up in the dumpster, so.  Hopefully it's engaging for packaging fans and new people, because zzzzzzzzzzz.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I was hoping for ROTJ style 2-packs. Random figures thrown on generic cardbacks with no accessories.  Gotta do something will all those overseas factory rejects.  ;)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Does this mean that new versions of Hoth Luke and Lobot are on the way?

We already know Bespin Han is coming. But the Luke and Lobot figures we have so far, are hardly "Vintage Quality" so I guess they're going to do something similar to what's happening now - we got the upgraded Bespin Luke in the Vintage line and that same figure is also in the 9-pack.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Not necessarily ESB 3-packs (unless they said so and I missed it)  Star Wars had 3 packs, too.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Based on this photo at the SW Collector's Archive, this is the complete list of the original vintage three packs, which Hasbro seems to claim they will be sticking to rather closely.  I figure it should give us a good idea of what to expect, especially if Hasbro follows the modus operandi they've used for the Vintage Collection so far (i.e. "the best version of the figure possible"):

Set 1 (Android Set):
-C-3P0
-Chewbacca
-R2-D2

Set 2 (Hero Set):
-Han Solo
-Princess Leia
-Obi-Wan 'Ben' Kenobi

Set 3 (Villain Set):
-Stormtrooper
-Darth Vader
-Death Squad Commander

Set 4 (Villain Set):
-Sand People
-Boba Fett
-Snaggletooth (Red)

Set 5 (Creature Set):
-Hammerhead
-Walrus Man
-Greedo

Set 6 (Hero Set):
-Luke X-Wing Pilot
-Obi-Wan 'Ben' Kenobi
-Han Solo

Set 7 (Droid Set):
-R5-D4
-Death Star Droid
-Power Droid

Set 8 (Rebel Set):
-2-1B
-Leia in Hoth Gear
-Rebel Commander

Set 9 (Imperial Forces):
-Bossk
-IG-88
-Snowtrooper

Set 10 (Imperials):
-Imperial Officer
-Dengar
-AT-AT Driver

Set 11 (Hoth Rebels)
-Han Solo in Hoth Gear
-Rebel Soldier
-FX-7

Set 12 (Bespin Set):
-Han Solo in Bespin Fatigues
-Ugnaught
-Lobot

Set 13 (Imperial Set):
-Zuckuss (4-LOM)
-AT-AT Driver
-TIE Fighter Pilot

Set 14 (Bespin Alliance):
-Bespin Guard
-Lando Calrissian
-Luke Skywalker in Bespin Fatigues

Set 15 (Rebel Set):
-Leia in Hoth Gear
-R2-D2 with Sensorscope
-Luke Skywalker in Hoth Gear

Set 16 (Bespin Set)
-C-3P0 with Removable Limbs
-Ugnaught
-Cloud Car Pilot

There's definitely a lot of room for Hasbro to do some simple repacks here, what with many of these figures already appearing this year in the Vintage Collection lineup, and a few (Bespin Han and Walrus Man) being confirmed for the 2011 Vintage lineup.  Outside of some minor upgrades (mainly in the realm of ball-jointed elbows), the only figures that really stick out as needing totally new, from the ground-up versions are Lobot, Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, and the Hoth Rebel Commander.  Which, given my pessimistic attitude, means Hasbro will probably not do the packs that those figures are included in.   :-\

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Yeah - I see that now - I did look in my copy of the Action Figure Archive - and I found the page with the ESB 3-packs so I thought those nine were it.

Oops...

Anyway, yeah, once you factor in the seven sets from ANH - they have plenty of wiggle room to make sets that are comprised of figures we've gotten before.

It would be great if they were to make that Power Droid / R5-D4 / Death Star Droid set - that way we could get the modern Power Droid sculpt in Vintage colors...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Saw tomorrow's store ad for the Vintage 9-pack - $49.99 - limited edition - no DPCI is listed in the ad. 3 stores I went to did not have this in-stock or in their systems yet. I wouldn't expect too many folks finding this tomorrow.

Edit: just got the DPCI - 087-06-1620
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:55 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Anyone find this today?
Peter

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Anyone find this today?

I did. My store had maybe twelve or eighteen with Nerf Guns on an end cap.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2010, 12:34 PM »
My store had the flyer up, but did not have any out.

Two women were dismantling the Star Wars marquee display so I asked them. One of the two women has given me attitude in the past. But unlike previous times, I had the flyer on my side. I think those Sunday circular ads are like the Bible to Target employees.

Once they saw the 9-pack ad in the circular, it was to see how fast they could run into the back and bring out the item.

They come in cases of six 9-packs per box and the outer box around the three 3-packs is entirely TOO BIG. But at least it's one less item I need for the MIB/MOC collection...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:36 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter