Author Topic: Ralph McQuarrie (CV book available)  (Read 25643 times)

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
Ralph McQuarrie (CV book available)
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Does anyone know if there was any type of new book or anything at CV?

cb
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:54 PM by Crackbrick »
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Ralph McQuarrie
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:32 PM »
I was curious about that as well.  I'd love a tour of his art that was at C5, actually.  I'd gladly go see that.  A book going with it would be welcome as well though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:13 AM »
Yes, there was a Limited Edition softcover book for $20 that showed everything that was on display as well as the placards that were next to each print explaining the particular piece. I really enjoyed the exhibit. All the pieces, no matter how small and rough were just great because they all conveyed the feeling that this is where Star Wars came from. The last piece in the exhibit was from Indy. It was the original illustration from the bible showing the power of the ark. It gave me goosebumps.  8)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:14 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:07 AM »
Yes, there was a Limited Edition softcover book for $20 that showed everything that was on display as well as the placards that were next to each print explaining the particular piece. I really enjoyed the exhibit. All the pieces, no matter how small and rough were just great because they all conveyed the feeling that this is where Star Wars came from. The last piece in the exhibit was from Indy. It was the original illustration from the bible showing the power of the ark. It gave me goosebumps.  8)

Thanks for the info.
Any idea if this can be ordered anywhere?

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:44 AM »
The book was limited to 1000 copies, so I don't know if there are any more to sell or if they'll be doing a separate print run for sale later.

Chuck from JTA snapped pics of the exhibit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:46 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:23 AM »
The book was limited to 1000 copies, so I don't know if there are any more to sell or if they'll be doing a separate print run for sale later.

Chuck from JTA snapped pics of the exhibit.

Crap!
Missed the boat on this one.
Thanks for the info.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:16 PM »
A few days ago this was not listed.
Order it here before you hit ebay:

http://dreamsandvisionspress.com/ralphmcquarrieartexhibitsouvenirprogramcelebrationv.aspx

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph McQuarrie (CV book available)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Thanks CB.  Took a shot and ordered this book on a whim.  I've always liked the McQ work so I hope it turns out to be worthwhile!

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Thanks CB.  Took a shot and ordered this book on a whim.  I've always liked the McQ work so I hope it turns out to be worthwhile!

I just got it.
Its small but it has some unique things in it and you can't go wrong with RM.
The other two books Dreams and Visions offer are amazing, the Celebration Japan book is great just for Star Wars and the other has allot of his other work, which is amazing as well.
Its funny, I grew up on Star Wars, but there allot of other things I remember as a kid of course...one of them was Bigfoot.
RM has a connection there as well, he did artwork for two of the best Bigfoot films ever, Legend of Boggy Creek and Creature From Black Lake.(also for a Boggy Creek sequel), all of which are in the Dreams and Visions book.
Great stuff all around.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:32 PM »
This is indeed cool and I think I'll pick this up.  I'm a McQuarrie-holic, so even if it's art I have, I'm still intrigued to have it in another format for some reason.  The only carded figures I display (besides vintage) are the McQuarrie Concept set from the 30th AC...  And only because they're the art.  Even have a box of tissues from 1980 with McQuarrie art on them...  Was too weird to pass by.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48 PM »
This is indeed cool and I think I'll pick this up.  I'm a McQuarrie-holic, so even if it's art I have, I'm still intrigued to have it in another format for some reason.  The only carded figures I display (besides vintage) are the McQuarrie Concept set from the 30th AC...  And only because they're the art.  Even have a box of tissues from 1980 with McQuarrie art on them...  Was too weird to pass by.

Puffs!
I had those.
Wonder what they go for now...

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 09:24 PM »
I got mine for like $10 or $15 at the local toy show.  TOo weird to pass up.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 09:07 AM »
The book has the art from the Art of Ralph McQuarrie exhibit at C5 and is mostly new stuff we haven't seen before.  The art was found in a forgotten folder in Ralph's house.  I should have picked the book up at C5 but didn't for some reason, so I just ordered it now.  Too bad shipping is a ridiculous $12, but I think it'll be worth having the book.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 09:25 AM »
The book has the art from the Art of Ralph McQuarrie exhibit at C5 and is mostly new stuff we haven't seen before.  The art was found in a forgotten folder in Ralph's house.  I should have picked the book up at C5 but didn't for some reason, so I just ordered it now.  Too bad shipping is a ridiculous $12, but I think it'll be worth having the book.

E...

I think it was worth it.
Anyone know of a definitve list of McQuarrie books?

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Too bad shipping is a ridiculous $12, but I think it'll be worth having the book.

I ordered two and split the shipping with 'I am Sith'.  Made the 13 upcharge for shipping much easier to swallow!  I guess based on ordering on Monday I'll probably get the book later this week.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:07 PM by BrentS »